Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What are the secrets of your fortress designs?  (Read 6266 times)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the secrets of your fortress designs?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »

Always put the lever room next to the meeting room.

small lawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 04:44:59 pm »

Always put the lever room next to the meeting room.
I stick the levers in the meeting room.

As for fortress design, I've been dividing my fort into wings: workshops on the east side, sleeping on the west, seperated by the central staircase. Nobles to the north and the founds to the south.

Above and below this is the storage and farms.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 04:55:50 pm »

Never put levers in the meeting room.  The meeting room is the most common room for dwarves to tantrum in, and having someone rip apart a critical lever can make a siege fatal.  The lever room should be next to the meeting room, and locked at all times when not in use. 

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 06:28:29 pm »

My design is a moat with a bridge and a giant wall... For some reason no one can touch you, You only have to worry about tantrum spirals.  Though always remember to put the depot outside (with another section of wall :D) so you dont constantly get passed up.

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
  • Join the Cult of Toady today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 07:50:21 pm »

anyone mind posting some screenshots of their fortress designs?
Core i5-2500k @ 5.0Ghz, 2GB Geforce GTX 770, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x2 (RAID0), Samsung 2TB + 64GB Agility 3 (Intel RST Cache)

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:02 pm »

I only follow three rules of design for a fortress.

Rule 1: what can be built on 1 z-level should be left on 1 z-level.
 -----------  Yes yes I know there are ways to get more efficiency from your dorfs from putting the farms right under the food stockpile, which are under the kitchens. But, Then you have the dining room. Which you should probably place right next to the food. But what about the still? And the loom for the processed plants? And the clothier? etc etc etc.  This leads me to my rule number 2

Rule 2: 10 highest agility dorfs can blitz across the map three times faster than 50 regular dorfs. So efficiency gets almost moot. unless you really really REALLY need it.

Rule 3: Its dwarf fortress

----------Its going to be FUN. Don't sweat the small stuff

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »

I just  figured out a neat mining pattern that does full exposure and allows for easy conversion to rooms.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:17 pm »

1x3 rooms work <ok> Up untill your dwarfs start "aquiring" things then things just get cluttered. Even with dressers and all that I still deal with clothing and coins littered EVERYWHERE. Its why I dont mint coins anymore.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 11:03:27 pm »

anyone mind posting some screenshots of their fortress designs?

KITCHEN

DINING/MEETING HALL

STOCKPILES

STOCKPILES (directly above workshop level)

WORKSHOPS

BEDROOMS (Design isn't perfectly symmetrical, I know...)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:14 pm »

First I find something I want to replicate. In the case of Healedabby, a castle. Then I open paint and try to contain the major elements of the architecture and the general layout it uses. Around that I plan workshops, stockpiles and bedrooms. Efficiency is never on my mind. Style is where it's all at.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:53 am »

I usually don't do actual mountain fortresses, as I'm stubborn and lazy enough to just keep soil for both ease of massive stockpile space as well as farming set-up then and there.

I also just try to do mega projects, like my current one of a Skyfortress. Or experiments with all sorts of waterfalls

As well as I just don't want to bother with gobbos all the time :p

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 08:20:52 am »

I had a really good fortress running a while ago but I lost the save.  :(
mines built around efficiency, but NOT super crazy efficiency.

1z - roof (grates left in some areas for outside farming)
2z - ground level. river (power supply), outdoor farms, fishing, trade depot. all walled in a roofed.
3z - first production floor. has farms, wood stockpile, butchers and tanners, things that need soil or easy access to the surface.
4z - second production level. almost every other type of industry is done here. (metal industry has a shaft going down to mining levels)
5z-7z - residential, top one has the dining room.
9z and below - mining and noble housing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:51:22 pm by darkrider2 »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 11:12:31 am »

I play kobold camp. Luckily, the little suckers are fairly easy to care for if you keep them away from nasties and near easy food.

Thus, my fortress is a small wooden building with separate rooms, slowly and haphazardly getting larger.

Top level - Fortifications, rooftop of main building and archer point.
Central level - Ground level, workshops (consisting of fishery {My food source is fish.}, kitchen, craft workshop, tanner, butcher and leatherworker), separate rooms for sleeping and the the little brook that is my fort's food/water source. That brook is my kobolds' life.
Below - Stockpiles galore in the sandy layer beneath my fortress. Divided into two halves by the brook in the middle.

Of course, I only really have 10 kobolds, and nothing serious has ever happened (except for a cougar nearly killing my woodcutter and a rhesus macaque invasion my shooter dealt with by herself, or the fact that we have almost no trade goods because of lack of bone/stone/wood) so I guess it's not terribly amazing.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »

*edit* Hmm nevermind
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:08:22 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
  • Join the Cult of Toady today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »

Thanks for the screen shots Lord Dakoth!  ;D I especially like the meeting hall and the bedroom layout there. Anyone else have any screen shots of their designs they wouldn't mind sharing?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:00:27 pm by Darkerson »
Core i5-2500k @ 5.0Ghz, 2GB Geforce GTX 770, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x2 (RAID0), Samsung 2TB + 64GB Agility 3 (Intel RST Cache)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5