Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using the finder to specify sedimentary.  (Read 758 times)

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using the finder to specify sedimentary.
« on: October 05, 2009, 03:54:57 pm »

I've been trying to use the finder to find a sedimentary layer, and I was wondering if anyone knew what kinds of options would make it more likely to find such a layer.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Using the finder to specify sedimentary.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:41:26 pm »

One thing you might try is setting Magma pipe and pool to 'No'.

That will prevent pretty much all igneous extrusive layers from showing up, since that's where magma shows up.

You might also try setting flux to "Yes", since there are three sedimentary layers that are flux materials.

If you want to find a specific sedimentary layer, it can't be done with the current functionality of the finder.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:44:16 pm »

Well, my hope is to find a place with both magma and sedimentary. I've managed it before, it would be nice to find such again.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

Such regions are very unlikely using realistic worldgen parameters, since magma is typically surrounded by igneous rock. You should tweak your worldgen parameters to have high volcanism variability (e.g. ranging from 0 to 100 with a variance of 1600).

As for looking for sedementary rock directly, there's no setting in the existing site finder to do that. Look for flux, as noted above.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

Sedimentary+magma isn't extremely common, but it shows up often enough that one in every few MEDIUM size worlds will have at least one appropriate site.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »

I usually go for Large-sized worlds, I sure hope the next finder update will show you all sites that match the requirements. I set the variance to 1600, with any luck I'll be able to pick up some limestone or chalk near a magma pipe.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:28:50 am »

Bottom line, the geologic environment for magma pretty much excludes sedimentary, and vice versa.

However, that's only for every area block - each "icon" visible in the Local Map (= 48x48 game tiles).

So, the larger the embark area you accept, the better your chances. (Actually, just one long measurement is enough to improve your chances if the vent is at one end.) If you go with a 6x6 area (possibly a 5x5) or larger, you should (eventually) find what you're looking for.

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:42 am »

I just got a nice spot on the corner of 3 biomes. One biome has chalk, one has a magma pipe, the third has a nice HFS block. 6x6, no aquifers, and SAND. Victory is mine.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 03:59:41 am »

Score.

That's what it takes, that intersection of radically different biomes. Grats!

Dead Winter Reigns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:34 pm »

Of course, for fun, I'm just hitting 'play now' and running with that combo. We'll see how it goes.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 01:49:43 pm »

Another way to do it would involve removing the flux tag from marble in the rock layers raw.  Since the finder tracks flux through that tag, all the other fluxes, which are sedimentary rock, can be found, though it can still be difficult to get a 'perfect' map.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.