Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots  (Read 11207 times)

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 03:51:32 am »

I've been holding onto this map for a while. I fiddled with Map Painter as in-depth as I could go, and created a worldmap designed for adventure mode, with Earthlike temperatures and land masses. I've also got the WorldPainter file saved if you'd like to gen your own world using the same landforms. Maybe this one would be interesting to folks?

Here it is. Temperatures are highest at the Equator, and lowest at the Poles. As you can see, everything is surrounded by oceans, and there are a few islands and continents separated by 1-tile-wide Ocean Channels that could be swam across by an Epic Swimmer... at least one who doesn't mind wrestling Sharks and Sea Serpents on the way. The mountain ranges are traversable, but there are also mountain valleys that are easier to cross. In the world I generated using the map, Dwarves are nigh-extinct due to an extremely powerful Demon-led Goblin Civilization that owns most of the Northern Continents Mountains, with a fallen Dwarven Prince leading a Goblin Tower overlooking the ruins of the last Dwarven Stronghold. I also built some Fortress-Bridges in my version, which span the ocean squares, allowing adventurers to access the Southeastern Continent on foot.

nice map

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2009, 04:02:16 am »

I agree. 'tis pretty. About how big is it?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 03:37:09 pm »

Yeah it looks beuitiful, got a worldgen of it you would like to share?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 03:39:29 pm »

As difficult as it may be, some spicing up would be nice. I propose you take Solifuges awesome map there, create and abandon fortresses ALL over the map and in each fortress you leave specific item. Your task would then be to venture to all of these fortresses and collect the items, like a giant scavenger hunt. Whoever can collect them all in the shortest amount of game-time wins.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 03:43:57 pm »

Some checkpoints would be nice...

Also it takes about three travel squares to become hungry/thirsty if at full stomach, so prepare carefully.

At least thats what I get from my experience in swimming across oceans.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:47:14 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »

The map is 128x128 tiles, or Medium size. I could regen it 2x Larger with a bit of tweaking, but I think its a pretty reasonable size for crossing the world on foot. Got some narrow land passages with dangerous Biomes and all that too. Perhaps the Savegery could be upped to 25-100 or even 50-100 on regen too, to make the wilds more dangerous. Also, I'd second the idea to leave several small forts with special artifacts inside them, and have the adventurer have to retrieve them all, and bring them to a location or something.

"Temples" with puzzles or traps and such inside, ala Legend of Zelda Dungeons or something would also be excellent!

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 11:04:42 pm »

definitely in if only for the lulz. solifuge's map looks pretty earth-like,definitely should use that or similar.i haven't played too much adventurer,how long in realtime does it take to cross one tile?(just walking,assuming flatland)
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

Sign me up?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 06:43:31 am »

This keeps getting better and better, but, since there is the issue of getting killed, what if players collect something, and then lose one of the items? It would feel cheat-y to just make a new character and collect from your old character, counting just the days after getting those items again.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 12:29:59 pm »

This keeps getting better and better, but, since there is the issue of getting killed, what if players collect something, and then lose one of the items? It would feel cheat-y to just make a new character and collect from your old character, counting just the days after getting those items again.
Duh, thats against the rules.

If you die you download the map again.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 02:28:01 pm »

I think you all are forgetting one very useful survival tactic.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22811.msg248939#msg248939

And really, just do this on a small or tiny map...   World tiles are stupidly huge, and if people can prove that they're capable of traversing an entire tiny map, then they'll have proven that there is actually some fun to be had in this challenge.

Oh, by the way...   Don't use "Play Now" dudes.  First of all, you'll need to survive long enough to get the required wealth to buy a backpack or two, but if your path is ever crossed by a water source larger than a brook, you're buggered without swimming ability.

Besides, this gives people a way to customize their characters.

And if you should ever need/want to cross mountains, buy several hoods, cloaks, mittens etc.  Make sure you've got multiple items of clothing on EVERY body part.  Hoods and cloaks can be worn in amazing quantities.

Which reminds me of something...   Try not to get hurt.  Like, at all.  If you get so much as a bruise, you'll be stuck with it for the rest of the journey, since fast-travel is out.

And ambushes will actually be slightly easier, since you won't be dropped right on top of a pack of wolves in the same way the fast-travel ambushes do...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2009, 03:31:15 pm »

And ambushes will actually be slightly easier, since you won't be dropped right on top of a pack of wolves in the same way the fast-travel ambushes do...
Chances are that you wont find anything hostile at all.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2009, 03:55:54 pm »

It runs away, just like in Fortress mode.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2009, 05:10:56 pm »

Is so in, where to get map, I traversed a world ocean as a carp, I can "walk" up for a map...

Also note Carp Adventurer Mode has more dwarves than you would think...(notes carp civ at war with land walking food...."dwarves")
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2009, 11:16:30 pm »

Wow.. that map is amazing, if you start at the south-west corner and go to the north-east one you'll have almost circumnavigated the planet (well, no, then you'd have to go around in an x from the opposite corners I guess, but you take my meaning).

Anyway. There are even check points at the pinches where your character MUST pass unless he has the most amazing swimming skill in the world.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9