Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots  (Read 11205 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 08:40:15 pm »

Make sure there aren't too many absurdly large mountain regions, otherwise the player will dehydrate and die. Seeing as there's no way to melt water at altitude.

This is what booze is good for. Doesn't freeze.

I'm in.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:07 pm »

so...basically its a game of "Press up till bored"

I may do it but sounds rather yawn worthy to me. The mountain climbing one seemed fun though

I got a challange for you. Take on an entire town with just your fists.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:33:31 pm by piecewise »

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 10:33:04 pm »

I'll try this, haven't had much that is challenging to do and i'm always up for a challenge of my adventuring skills.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 12:15:10 am »

I may do it but sounds rather yawn worthy to me. The mountain climbing one seemed fun though

I'm afraid in my case that it would be slightly easier since I modded mah Dwarves to make 1-10 GORE damage with each punch.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 12:51:44 am »

I'm afraid in my case that it would be slightly easier since I modded mah Dwarves to make 1-10 GORE damage with each punch.
then use a human, thats what I do.

Akett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 02:20:00 am »

What's to prevent someone from, say, embarking in several strategic locations with lots and lots of booze and food in the wagon and then abandoning?  I've come upon wagons at old embark sites that had the food still fresh within them.

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 02:25:40 am »

it will rot

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 11:06:30 am »

In reality the better plan is to gen a world with tons of civs and towns, so you can plot your path so that you visit them along the way. You can stock up on food, rest and perhaps even steal some weapons and armor.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:07 pm »

Or just play the game 'normally', working your way up north as you go.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 01:24:00 pm »

I dunno, this sounds interesting... except slightly boring.

I would say go with a pocketworld with as much terrifying areas, mountains, and water as possible.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »

I'll gen up a world tomorrow morning, D&D and class tonight.  Tomorrow I'll be on till 7 PM.  It's not boring, it's challenging.  And plus, you totally do have random encounters when just walking.  They're not very common, but you can still face some seriously nasty stuff.
Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 02:33:20 pm »

I'll gen up a world tomorrow morning, D&D and class tonight.  Tomorrow I'll be on till 7 PM.  It's not boring, it's challenging.  And plus, you totally do have random encounters when just walking.  They're not very common, but you can still face some seriously nasty stuff.

Hence you need as much savageness as possible, and lots of small mountain ranges to increase the chance of chasms.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 06:39:01 pm »

I'm in on this.

We'll need flat-ish mountain ranges, savage regions and everything. Cold (not too extreme) situations make things more interesting, too. But zombie and skeleton infested evil regions might be a bit much. Might take a ton of fiddling with worldgen parameters.

I actually have one or two modding ideas to make this more interesting.

Turn caves visible on worldgen, make humans carnivores. That way, picking up the meat often strewn about caves is a valid source of food. In turn, towns shouldn't be very frequent.

Also, consider using the legendary lands mod to make things a little crazier. From my experience, LL seems to make random encounters while walking considerably more frequent. Also, horribly dangerous additional monsters one might need to dodge... and those freaking hordes of lions and/or wargs. >_>

I'd also suggest starting with a pocket map to begin with to check how 'doable' this is, and tweaking it before switching to the proposed standard-sized map.

I have a few questions about the rules, though:
Any rules on throw/ambush/swim skilling to get silly stats and/or using throw as retarded lethal weapon of doom?

Use a human adventurer with starting skills, or a play-now hero (this'd be crazy)? Any rules on starting skills? (From my experience, skilled/proficient shield/armor user makes one quite survivable...)

Also, I assume we use fast-travel to get to the south map square in question before walking up?

___

Piecewise: Do you mean with actual punching, or is wrestling allowed? I've done the latter before. With small towns it's kinda doable, assuming you have good armor, legendary wrestling, trained ambushing, and keep camping house-entrances to get those pesky bowmen/crossbowmen to walk into wrestling range. There was a situation where I had chokeholds on a bowman and a guard, while kicking at a swordman. This is where wrestle-dodging actually gets annoying, as it keeps breaking your holds on stuff. Just hope the farking town leader isn't too much of a badass. Many of my save-scummed attempts on one town in question were foiled by a farking champion swordman. >_>
___

EDIT: On that note, how about any rules involving followers?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:46:57 pm by Halconnen »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »

Ill join up

WITH A STANDRED NON MODDED HUMIE ADVENTURER on a standred world.

and ill visit the major mountian peaks as well.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 11:18:33 pm »

I wish I could join in this, but I'm an architect, not an adventurer, at least not yet.

Anyway. Here's what I think. Since this is a challenge and a race at the same time. Record what day you start, what day your character starts this journey, and how many days both IRL and IG pass before you reach the end.

Seem unreasonable?

Also. Anything goes besides the outlined above rules. Ya want followers? Take'em. Just make sure to note down anything of importance on your character, by giving a "entry form" of his equipment and stuff when he starts, and a "completion form" of the same basic criteria.

Also, don't caves sometimes allow you to travel VAST distances underground without many random encounters at all? Since it's a straight line? With enough supplies you could make that trip.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:21:04 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9