Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots  (Read 11194 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 05:09:29 am »

This seems like it will be Fun.

Also: it would be nice if people made in-character logs of their journey.

Do you figure on giving bonus points for killing named critters? Although no idea how this will be scored of course.

Also, don't caves sometimes allow you to travel VAST distances underground without many random encounters at all? Since it's a straight line? With enough supplies you could make that trip.

I always assumed those were goblin or dwarf tunnels, but theoretically yeah. Your food would spoil though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:33 am »

suggestion: generate a world... Post the exported image/map of it... We all vote on start and end squares, then you start and abandon fortresses on them to mark the start and finish lines... You could leave us some basic gear...

And we could just use play now humans.
We'd all have a level playing field in terms of starting gear and no over land trek just to get to the starting line.
Wagon to wagon!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:26 am »

If we do use an overland trip to the starting line, you can use fast-travel, and you can savescum to make sure you don't get killed on the way over.  Once you hit > on the starting tile, though, you can't fast travel or savescum.

Also, I'm going to leave the worldgenning to someone else, because I'm limited to my laptop.  It takes about an hour to gen a standard map on this thing, and if I do anything at all while it's genning it crashes.

What I'm saying is, I'm not going to participate in the race.  I'm going to use the world I already generated and do my own quest, to see if it's even possible.  I might do a bit of an adventure log while I"m doing it AND WHY WON'T THE MAP IMAGE LOAD WTF
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:22:15 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 11:33:27 am »

I got a map genned last night with everything vanilla.
Uploading map to DFMA

nvm problems with the compressor.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:50:24 am by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 11:53:32 am »

suggestion: generate a world... Post the exported image/map of it... We all vote on start and end squares, then you start and abandon fortresses on them to mark the start and finish lines... You could leave us some basic gear...

And we could just use play now humans.
We'd all have a level playing field in terms of starting gear and no over land trek just to get to the starting line.
Wagon to wagon!

I like this suggestion, for the finish line we may not need a fortress, we could pick another landmark like a volcano, and make up a quest involving that landmark, for example: The player has to take a golden ring from the start site all the way to this specific volcano, and has to trow it in, LOTR style.
One advantage of not having a finish fortress would be that a start now player would always start at the right site.

The caravan used to build the start site could be empty or could carry specific items we want the player to have. objects that can't be added to the caravan like clothes a human could wear could be added before the save is uploaded by a human adventurer. (otherwise you'll have to start naked, which can be nasty depending on temperature and on how far the nearest human settlement is) this adventurer could also drop the golden ring, or other quest items. I would however not give the player a full set of armor at the start of the game, it would be fun if the player has to gather some items himself to increase his chances of survival.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:19:03 pm by Bralbaard »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 12:07:19 pm »

This is the world I'm going to be using.  I had to compress the image to get tinypic to take it, so it might be hard to see what the different stuff is.  My journey will begin in The Winter of Drowning, a sinister Tundra.  I'll build a fortress there and leave a steel short sword and shield for my character, as well as food and drink.  I'll then go north, through the human kingdom, picking up supplies if I need them, and eventually passing through the Jungles of Metal, a conifer forest inhabited by elves.  I will only listen to black metal in there, to pay respect to the spirits of metal that inhabit the forest.  Once out of the forest I will reach a choice.  Do I take the long route and stop at the eastern villages for supplies (Red path) or do I continue north, through the isthmus and The Hill of Anger?  I'll decide when I get to it.  Once the paths converge once more it's smooth sailing all the way to my destination.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strike the horizon!

This....   This is going to be arduous...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:31:59 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »

Not enough towns. Sorry, but there won't be a lot of caves too, I guess. You need to have something to eat.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:41 pm »

I would advise against going east, there's a major river there. This seems interesting.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 02:57:28 pm »

In-character traveler logs and pointers on the map marking your progress would be great. :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:54 pm »

This is going to take forever.  I made it one tile before I went and played something else.
Shoes...

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 09:37:44 pm »

lol i think we have to LL

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:47 am »

I've been holding onto this map for a while. I fiddled with Map Painter as in-depth as I could go, and created a worldmap designed for adventure mode, with Earthlike temperatures and land masses. I've also got the WorldPainter file saved if you'd like to gen your own world using the same landforms. Maybe this one would be interesting to folks?

Here it is. Temperatures are highest at the Equator, and lowest at the Poles. As you can see, everything is surrounded by oceans, and there are a few islands and continents separated by 1-tile-wide Ocean Channels that could be swam across by an Epic Swimmer... at least one who doesn't mind wrestling Sharks and Sea Serpents on the way. The mountain ranges are traversable, but there are also mountain valleys that are easier to cross. In the world I generated using the map, Dwarves are nigh-extinct due to an extremely powerful Demon-led Goblin Civilization that owns most of the Northern Continents Mountains, with a fallen Dwarven Prince leading a Goblin Tower overlooking the ruins of the last Dwarven Stronghold. I also built some Fortress-Bridges in my version, which span the ocean squares, allowing adventurers to access the Southeastern Continent on foot.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 03:51:45 am »

This strikes me as being the most pointless and arduous challenge I have ever seen for any game ever. It will be impossibly long, absolutely impossible to achieve without starving to death, or being eaten by angry yetis, and will most probably take about a year to go from one side to the other.

In summary, I am so in.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 08:26:57 am »

..How did I get to the adventure mode forums?

Ah, it's not important, I'd like to try this, sign me up.

I'll make in-character logs too.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »

YYYYEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

COUNT ME IN FOR SOME XTREME POWERWALKING!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9