Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots  (Read 11176 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2009, 12:04:35 pm »

Can I have the worldgen information ?

Hmm, seems the Pastebin file was taken down. That was the only copy I had, save for the one on my other HD. Anyone manage to snag the raws for that?

SarahLynnMarie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2009, 11:55:38 am »

I was too late to catch the raws, unfortunately. :-[ I've been trying to gen a fun/suitable world for the last few hours. I'll post anything interesting that pops up, if anyone's still interested. :)

SarahLynnMarie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2009, 11:14:28 pm »

I've finally generated a world I'm happy with. It's small, with a nice smattering of human towns from top to bottom. I've uploaded it to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot, if anyone would like to use it. The region folder can be found at this link. Some "extras" for the world are located here. The extras include worldgen parameters, the world's history, the world's sites/populations, and a map of the world. The extras are spoilered below as well, for good measure.  ;)

Worldgen Parameters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A big note on these parameters: I've only found them to generate the "correct" world using 40d. Using 40d16 (and possibly the other 40d# versions) creates a slightly different world. For those using 40d#, I recommend downloading and using the region folder linked above.

World History:

World Sites and Populations:

Map of the World:

I think I'll start my trek tonight, so another post should be up in a few hours. I'll detail exactly where I start and where I plan to end up. If anyone has any problems with the world or its extras, feel free to PM me. Happy walking! :)

SarahLynnMarie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2009, 01:09:21 am »

Right-o! I apologize for the (two-day) late post. I've managed to make a fair bit of headway, though.

Here is a map of my starting and ending locations:

I don't have a "specific" location within the tiles I'm starting from and ending at. As long as I'm within the proper tiles and pressed against the edge of the map, I'm satisfied.

Here is where I started...:

...and the same place as seen on the Adventure Log:

So begins the tale!

The Memoirs of Sarah Lawsister, Compiled from Numerous Sources of Acceptable Credibility

21st Granite, 500 [Source: First Journal]
Nighttime in the Jungle is never pleasant. It is pitch black and bitterly cold; my drink has frozen solid. I press forward nonetheless. My destination, the town Wilttrumpets, lies to the north. I hope to reach it ere nightfall, tomorrow.

Dawn has just broken. I'm resting under a willow tree at the moment. There's a lake off to my left. The light reflecting off the water is quite pretty.

I won't rest for too long; off I go, I suppose.

It's noon, and I've reached Wilttrumpets. A huge tower dominates the skyline. I'm not sure what inspired them to name it "The Playful Towers", but I'm not one to question. I shouldn't be here long. I plan to sleep in the inn for a bit before heading out.

22nd Granite, 500 [Source: First Journal]
Just awoken. It is sunset and cooling down. Will be following the road east to Scalejuggle.

22nd Granite, 500 [Source: First Journal]
After following the road for some time, I came to a section that had fallen into serious disrepair. The sandstone bricks thinned until only a dirt path remained. Then the path become hard to follow. Soon thereafter I found a bridge no longer connected to the cliff.

Beneath it was a small, but very swift, river.

I am not a skilled enough swimmer to cross it. I'll rest here and decide upon my next course of action.

Progress So Far:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:45:56 am by SarahLynnMarie »

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2009, 04:26:44 pm »

Nice start. Though I think this may be in the story forum than here.

I'm tempted as well to do the same. I'm still too much of a pussy to play it real. My test case is a character from the civ that killed the last megabeast in the world, is in the southern savanna and now must make a trek to the The False Ice with a 'you can be killed' immortality of noeat, nosleep, nodrink, noemotion, colddam and heatdam to withstand any temp.

I'm more of a writer than someone who wants to be challenged :P
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

SarahLynnMarie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »

Thanks. :) Yeah, it was a bit too story-full. My subsequent posts will be more to the point. Speaking of subsequent posts...

Progress So Far:

Notes:
• Reached Swallowsense on 25th Granite, 500
• Reached Scufflewiped on 27th Granite, 500
• Cougar attack! Cougar killed, no injuries on my part
• Reach Calmedloved on 1st Slate, 500
• Reach Laceknots on 3rd Slate, 500
• Reach Youngstokers 5th Slate, 500

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2009, 08:29:06 pm »

I wonder how you're going to get to the island. There's one large region tile I think between the lands.

Good luck, and I hope you got swimming trained ;)
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »

There may be a remote possibility of a land bridge.  If you look at that little cluster of dirt specks off to the left of the island, you'll see that there's a tile connected diagonally to both the mainland and the island.  It's slim, but there's at least a chance that it connects.

And if not, the swim will at least be shorter.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:37 am »

I actually see this:
Code: [Select]
LWW
WWL

L for land, W for water

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2009, 09:49:16 am »

I'm gonna attempt this just for kicks... err.. or .. just for doing something other than nothing.

I don't see the fun in "cheating" on this one, and don't feel like screenshotting too much, but will report if anything fun/interesting happens, and if I fail/succeed in any kind of way.

Also, I havent played adventure mode for a long time now, and not much when I did.. :/ Oh well, off to kill a random human ^^

I take it we make a human in a standard world, giving him skills, then pick up supplies and go directly to start the challenge, right? No skillbuilding before heading south, right?
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2009, 10:15:40 am »

Aren't you suppose to play with a "Play Now!" hummie?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:44 am »

Nevermind, got bored... I guess I'm more of a fortressmode kind of person.

I did however manage to harass some camels, and even hit one in the feet with a few rocks. He got hurt, then I got thirsty and drowsy, and the camel got away. After drinking some human blood spatterings off of my armor, and sleeping some, I wandered a long way only to find some muscoxs. I scared them off, causing them minor annoyance before giving in to starvation.

This challenge takes dedication and patience, both of which I lack in this particular case. I guess I failed at around 5-7% of the total distance you need to travel
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

SarahLynnMarie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2009, 12:34:56 pm »

I take it we make a human in a standard world, giving him skills, then pick up supplies and go directly to start the challenge, right? No skillbuilding before heading south, right?

That's what I did. I'm not too sure about the skillbuilding, though  :-\ The OP doesn't say anything about it. I assume it'd be okay, but Cthulhu will hopefully come along and clear things up.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2009, 09:58:13 pm »

Can I have the worldgen information ?

Hmm, seems the Pastebin file was taken down. That was the only copy I had, save for the one on my other HD. Anyone manage to snag the raws for that?
I HAVE IT!
http://pastebin.com/m49269eea
Dorf Angels commence singing.

SarahLynnMarie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2009, 08:56:04 pm »

I apologize for the short update. I'll make better progress before the next one, I hope.

Progress So Far:

Notes:
• Left Youngstokers on 5th Slate, 500
• Reach Nurturemorals on 7th Slate, 500
• Reach Basinspray on 9th Slate, 500

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9