Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots  (Read 11180 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:25:11 pm »

Cthulhu here.  I've risen from the depths of Finally... for the first time in eons to menace the lands of Dwarf Fortress once again.

I have an idea.

Some of you may remember the climbing thread I made a bit more than a year ago.  Endless plains of obsidian, sasquatches, giant eagles that stalk you for miles, nighttime temperatures so low your eyes literally froze and you went blind, many lives were claimed on that mountain.

That was for babies.  This is not a challenge.  This is THE challenge.  The only thing that could possibly be more daunting than this is
... and you can bet your britches that when Toady implements adventure mode digging I'll be all over that.

Here's the challenge:  Standard-sized map, chosen by contestants.  Human adventurer.  All the food and water you can carry.

A map tile on the southern border of the world will be chosen by contestants before the contest.  The contestants will travel to that tile (Savescumming here is fine to make sure your guy doesn't get killed by wolves on the trip over).  Adventurers will then make their way north, all the way to a predetermined tile on the northern border of the map.  Any path is fair game as long as your journey starts and ends on the predetermined tiles.

Sound easy?  There's a catch.  You can't fast-travel for any reason.  No healing, no hopping over difficult terrain, and obviously no being a douchebag and just fast-travelling all the way there.  Anyone can do that and it takes like five minutes.

That's right, you have to walk all the way across the world map, from the frigid southern wastelands to the inexplicably temperate northlands (Or from the inexplicably temperate southlands to the frigid northern wastelands, depending on what the map looks like).  Directly.  Through.  Each.  And.  Every.  Single.  Tile.

I'm not saying everyone who embarks on this trek will make it (In fact, I can say with some confidence that no one who embarks on this trek will make it) but losing is fun!  And if someone does miraculously pull it off, think of the e-fame and babes you'll get.  You'll be the ultimate adventurer.

And so I ask you, adventurers of Bay12:

Are you a bad enough dude to transnavigate the whole entire world?

EDIT:  I just remembered.  It's okay to stop at towns during the journey to buy more food and other supplies, as long as you don't fast-travel to them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:15:01 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Challenge: Bring Your Hiking Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:29:38 pm »

Reserved, this is where I'll put the list of characters attempting.  Once you register an adventurer I'll write down his or her name and equipment, and then when he inevitably dies you can tell me how and I'll put it here.  That way his sacrifice in the name of adventure will never be forgotten.
Shoes...

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:50:15 pm »

I'm confused. Is this an ongoing thing, or a race to see who can reach the top first? If it's ongoing, I intend to join in as soon as my laptop is returned to me.
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »

I guess it's a bit of both.  It's not like you have to participate in the race to try to do it..
Shoes...

wehll

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer stunned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:46 pm »

I recall once trying to cross a mountain range that divided my world in halves. I also recall dying of thirst less than 1/3 of the way across.

I shall begin collecting food immediately.

wehll

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer stunned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:09:31 pm »

Just a thought: It would greatly increase the difficulty of THE challenge to become an enemy of all civs before embarking on this insane quest, would it not?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »

There's no way you'd make it.  You wouldn't be able to get more food during the trip and I doubt you'll be able to carry all the food you'll need for the whole journey at one time.

That reminds me, I forgot to mention in the OP that you're allowed to stop at towns to buy more supplies en route.
Shoes...

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:25:54 pm »

You could always kill people and loot their cities for food.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 02:55:50 pm »

You're hiking across a map that's been estimated to be around the size of England, and there's permadeath.  Do you really want to risk getting an arrow in your neck when you're halfway through?
Shoes...

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 02:58:59 pm »

This sounds like a "fun" idea. I'm going to start preparing for the journey right away.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »

I WILL DO THIS! ONWARD TO GLORY!!!

So, uh...do you provide the map or what?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:50:15 pm by Rashilul »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:33:47 pm »

Just going to be a buzzkill and all but..if you go to a tundra just make sure it isn't deathly freezing, or else you'll freeze to death. Plus, this will be REALLY boring because you don't get as many encounters while traveling like that. It'd be basically just walking in one direction for a long...long...long...time.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »

Make sure there aren't too many absurdly large mountain regions, otherwise the player will dehydrate and die. Seeing as there's no way to melt water at altitude.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »

i am in so u gona give us a map that way it whould be more fair

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:10:50 pm »

Make sure there aren't too many absurdly large mountain regions, otherwise the player will dehydrate and die. Seeing as there's no way to melt water at altitude.
i think its more start here and go here so u can try and avoide them also how big is the map
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:39:15 pm by killaconcarnage »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9