Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engineering an Empire  (Read 1824 times)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engineering an Empire
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:50:48 am »

Has anyone else seen this? I've been getting it from Netflix and it makes me want to run out and play DF.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engineering an Empire
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:41:54 am »

WTF you on about???
Little more info on what you are talking bout might get you Replies...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:45:03 am »

He/she is talking about a show on The History Channel called "Engineering an empire" it talking about architechture and building during the Roman Empire.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:48:07 am »

Something tells me this isnt in the right sub-forum.

Edit: Spelling. (How the crap did I miss that?)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:41:58 pm by Manifold1 »

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 07:02:44 am »

Engineering an Empire is a series about a dozen large empires most of which only barely reach the industrial era in their coverage. It discusses, in non-technical terms, the major works such as aqueducts going through mountains in ancient Greece, masterworks of irrigation in the Aztec empire, the Great Wall(s) of China, etc.
Given the large scale and nature of the projects it describes I started playing DF again. When I looked I discovered no one had mentioned this here and I thought that other players might like it.
As far as the "write [sic] sub-forum" I had hoped to find someone who had seen it and been similarly inspired and start a topic on actual megascale projects and what could be brought over to the game. But never mind.
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:39:58 pm »

You sir, Make me wanna go out and watch this series. While playing DF, drinking a 2 liter of coke, and poppin some orange tic-tacs. YOU my friend give my life meaning.

Also: Mega project wise, Lets build an aquaduct that goes through a mountain gives our MEGA FARMs life gets pumped up to the top of a dwarf-made structure, cascade in a water-fall down to the bottom of the mountain to be released out the other end of the mountain. While surrounding ourselves with a GIANT WALL to prevent against orc attacks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:42:09 pm by Dante` »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »

I haven't seen it but I want to now.

As far as inspired megaprojects go, I'm working on a giant 17z-level microcline dome. I suppose the Pantheon is what I have in mind. It's taking forever because circles are a giant pain in the ass to build.

If you go find the Visual Fortress thread in the General Forum there's screenshots of a Coliseum in progress and some other projects inspired by real life architecture.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:30:23 pm »

Actually, I have the most badass idea EVER!

Build an aqueduct that STARTS near an ocean, pump water up. This aquduct would go all the way to the other side of the map.

Save that fortress. Build a new one that overlaps a single tile row with the previous fortress. Continue the construction. Keep doing this until you either A) reach the mountain home. or B) get across the entire damn mountain range!

You must also make sure the pumps can never fail. Power them with perpetual motion water-wheels and seal in the water wheels.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:32:01 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:03 am »

You can't overlap the forts without the right programs, if I recall.
That doesn't make this any less of an interesting idea though, although I'm unsure that the Aqueduct will retain water from map to map.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:31:44 am »

D:

DAMN! Well if anyone can get it to work, tell me.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 06:33:12 am »

What if you channel out a canal? (I know, still need special program...)
I'm making a steel volcano around a magma vent with the dwarves living in the walls. The steel could take a while; they'll need to mine a lot of goblins.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:15:05 pm »

You can't overlap the forts without the right programs, if I recall.
That doesn't make this any less of an interesting idea though, although I'm unsure that the Aqueduct will retain water from map to map.
some one did it with magma so you can transport stuff from one place to another but stuff is nonfunctioning so you have to go and turn it on in adventure mode and let it fill where ever you want it to go.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:35:23 pm »

Wait, even sealed in perpetual motion water pumps would be turned off?

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 03:26:15 pm »

Pumps automatically deconstruct I think, but if you somehow use gravity instead, you can watch the water in Adventure mode (be sure to build a walkway!)

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 03:40:25 pm »

Water pumps are deconstructed when you reclaim so I see no difference here.  Also yes there is a thread somewhere for a magma porting across the maps and eventually into the ocean to create an obsidean landmass bridge that would allow them a man-made island. Just to see what would happen.
Pages: [1] 2