Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 50230 times)

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #240 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:46 am »

I like having caged enemies but feel like cage traps are overpowered. To resolve this I place pit traps (holes covered with retractable bridges) around my map and keep myself (and idle civilians near levers) entertained during battle by trying to trap enemies in the pits without getting my own solders. If I manage to catch them, I feel like I deserve to cage them and make one exit with a cage trap to capture them.

I make displays out of my prisoners of war by placing them in uncomfortable places. My two favorites are
    1) Underwater, often in my moat. They don't die while caged underwater; they drown eternally.
    2) In my refuse room, constantly surrounded by filth and miasma.

If I cage an enemy leader (like goblin weapon masters) I put them on display above my entrance or in my highest noble's throne room.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:49:45 am by labouts »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »

Every fort has a lockdown lever that seals the entrance. It is never used, I'd rather lose the fort than admit I need to use a placeholder mechanic to keep enemies out, but it's there. I don't know why, I just do it.

I instinctively buy every barrel, cage, and rope that traders bring, even though I don't need them. Usually the ropes end up gem encrusted and I sell them for tons of money, though that's nothing special since they do the same thing to blood and vomit encrusted loincloths.

I refuse to use stonecrafting for trade goods. On the rare instances I do, I don't use mugs. I make metal mugs, but stone mugs are too much of a hauling drain.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:13 pm »

placeholder mechanic to keep enemies out

Now come on. You can't tell me it's unreasonable, especially for dwarves, fantasy's greatest engineers, to be able to build doors, floodgates, hatches or grates capable of holding goblins at bay.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 04, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »

I don't bother naming children until they become adults.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 04, 2010, 05:16:52 pm »

Now come on. You can't tell me it's unreasonable, especially for dwarves, fantasy's greatest engineers, to be able to build doors, floodgates, hatches or grates capable of holding goblins at bay.

Now now. Goblins may be bloodthirsty evil monsters who desire nothing but to turn your insides into an Art Attack, but they still have manners.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 04, 2010, 05:26:26 pm »

Then I must be the most eccentric motherfucker on this forum, because I don't name dwarves, at all. All they get is custom profession names, and when a dwarf is important and my fort lasts for a couple of years, I eventually remember at least their first name.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 04, 2010, 05:43:13 pm »

I also put Goblins in the rooms of my dwarves, as pets of sorts I guess. My fortresses are also very organic - very unplanned, yet also functional, and they grow into resources / space as I see fit.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:40 pm »

I'd understand if a legendary metalsmith using steel or addy to build a wall, but Urist McPotashmaker building a wall out of a block of glass made by a dabbling glassmaker wouldn't even approach indestructible. Same thing goes for doors, grates, floodgates, etc. It's a placeholder, eventually these will be destructible. Toady just hasn't gotten around to it yet.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2010, 09:12:50 pm »

I never name my dwarves or give them custom professions.  Maybe I should start.

I also like to capture gobbo babysnatchers and put them in a "torture chamber" consisting of an exit-only hallway lined with single whip traps.  I actually modded in a new component, "shredding [material] hooks," which do 3 hits of 20 gore damage, just to make it a bit easier and more space efficient.  2 of those made of glass, or 1 of iron, is typically enough to completely mutilate a babysnatcher while leaving it alive.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »

I'd understand if a legendary metalsmith using steel or addy to build a wall, but Urist McPotashmaker building a wall out of a block of glass made by a dabbling glassmaker wouldn't even approach indestructible. Same thing goes for doors, grates, floodgates, etc. It's a placeholder, eventually these will be destructible. Toady just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Technically, I agree that walls being totally indestructible is a place-holder mechanic, but I really don't see the problem in practice. Sure, wood, glass or soap walls being untouchable is unrealistic, but structures built out of stone or metal should be perfectly capable of keeping goblins with no siege equipment out. Now, if they ever brought anything like a catapult, that might be a different story.

As to walls or doors, or whatever, becoming destructible: I'm all for it. But I hope we don't end up with gamey bullshit like goblins hacking iron or stone doors open with swords.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2010, 07:31:12 am »

Then I must be the most eccentric motherfucker on this forum, because I don't name dwarves, at all. All they get is custom profession names, and when a dwarf is important and my fort lasts for a couple of years, I eventually remember at least their first name.
I don't customize my dwarfs at all. And i don't see this as excentric. The only exception is community games, and even then it's just naming one miner after myself.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:59 am »

Every dwarf receives a custom profession so I can track them in Dwarf Therapist - though custom does not mean unique, and I've had as many as six "Forgepriest"s when I got a dump of metal-working immigrants. Labors are customarily assigned by group - only Culinarists haul food and gather plants, only Laborers haul furniture, wood, and stone, etc. However, I rarely change their names.

If you can build it out of blocks, I only build it out of blocks. Rough stones are raw material, not building supplies! Additionally, no external fortress wall can be made of soil.

Military training occurs in waves, beginning with Proficient Pump Operator before recruitment for the stat gains. Every recruit becomes a competent wrestler, then a competent marksdwarf. Then, if their personality is not grossly ill-suited to permanent military service - not self-conscious, timid, or full of RAGE - they acquire competency in the spear, then the hammer, then the axe, while the Fortress Guard is also taught swordsdwarfship. Once all these skills are at Competent, they alternate between wrestling and weapons practice for the remainder of their military career. If a dwarf's personality precludes them from service, they spend each winter practicing marksdwarfship and the rest of the year working their civilian jobs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »

Additionally, no external fortress wall can be made of soil.

I do this, but for every wall(even internal) and floor except farming space. My farms are dug out one space extra and block walls are erected around them, and stone block floors go around the farming areas. I will often place stone block floors in the main halls or dining rooms to form mosaics or designs as well.

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:09 pm »

I don't like loose stones hanging around. I will order ALL of my dwarves to clean up the mess until there is not a single stone out of the quantum-stockpile-trade-depot thingy.
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier just to hide them?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26