Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 50257 times)

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2009, 05:36:24 pm »

To curb unemployment in a mature, self-sufficient fort, I'll create Dwarven strip clubs. Make a large room with some tables, chairs, a food and booze stockpile, build some levers and set the profile on the levers to accept only their designated "entertainer". Set the room as a dining hall, and put pulling the levers on repeat, and voila! Your very own army of pole-dancing dwarves! It doesn't really serve any practical purpose, other than making stories in the fort more interesting. My bookkeeper, who's single, seems to spend a lot of time in there. I'm thinking of adding an "intimacy room" which could foster relationships. I just don't know how to use water programming to make a timelimit for each use, so I don't have to manage it all the time.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2009, 08:40:03 pm »

Sometimes I set up little fireplaces with wood logs stored behind a wall grate.  Other times, I build a room out of soap with a lever in it that dumps water on the person that pulls it.

I've never actually used traps or fortifications or anything... I just have a large military.  When they become heroes, I leave them on active duty so they won't train any more because I prefer their elite titles and graphics in Mayday.

I once set up my military to train wrestling so they wouldn't hurt each other until I finished full suits of armor for all of them.  I ended up with so many legendary wrestling champions... never again.  I'd rather have novice spearmen with nerve injuries.  Makes for more exciting fights.

I give one guy the profession of Undertaker.  He has a tiny room near the graveyard to live in and his own Mason's shop to build coffins.  His only labors are Masonry and Burial.  Burial is removed from everyone else's labors.

Playbahnosh

• Bay Watcher
  • The Peacemaker
    • View Profile
    • PC Dome
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2009, 09:59:35 pm »

I like walling off my ant/termite colonies and starting wagons with clear glass. The dwarves can then visit the wagon meseum and learn about the efforts of the brave first settlers or admire the natural beauty and ingenuity of the brave ants etc.

You Sir, are a genius!

From now on, I'll build my own dwarven museum to educate the later generations. Awesome idea!

Also, the Dwarfmas is one thing I'm going to do.

My quirks:

- I'm totally mad about security, but I NEVER use traps. I build my forts in the side of mountains, and I wall off everything! There is only one way in or out, always protected by a drawbrige and moat, two story high and thick walls with arrow towers. the entyway is protected by steel doors and guards. I usually build safeties into EVERYTHING! I build escape valves and exits into moats, so if a dwarf falls in accidentally, the valve drains the water and he can escape through the emergency passage. Also good for collecting loot after battle when enemies fall in. The same with wells.

- I also use automated emergency bulkheads, so if a disaster happens (flood, invasion, etc) one single lever closes the bulkheads, lifts the drawbridge and shuts off valves, sealing off the entire fortress until the disaster can be averted. I usually have years worth of food, drinks and ammo stored, so the archers can take their time to pick off invading forces from the towers. No open confrontation unless REALLY necessary. Yea, I'm kind of a coward, but this tactic saved may dwarven lives and property.
"We do it on the stove. It's nice to have hot sex for once...and fries"

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »

Heh playbeh, I have a great design that my help you when the bridge is down.
Al you need to do is station multiple guards in the place of where these wrestlers are, this'll guarantee around the clock protection, and this is the inner curtain, the outer curtain will come later...

Edited design, when the two bridges close, they complete the 2 tile thick wall.

Edit2: here is what they'd look like closed...

Oh and playbeh, you use bulkheads too, I think I found a friend!

Playbeh, if you pm me, I'll give you an idea on how to send out troops when the fortress is in lock down.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:31:12 pm by Foa »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2009, 01:27:46 am »

Stealing that bridge layout.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2009, 01:40:09 am »

Stealing that bridge layout.
It is version two of my bulkhead design.
PM if you want help with designs, I'm current working on a noob, a water clock, and a cellar ( for various demons on the under death, and of the savage beyonds, and pitting prisoners against them... ) .

The noob gets priority.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2009, 02:04:19 am »

I make random shortcuts underground or above when it looks like the dwarf might like it. Such as connecting the booze stockpile to the bedrooms that happen to be near it.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2009, 02:40:33 am »

I treasure kobolds more than my actual dwarves, they get a great cave, and valuable objects for their hoards.

Elves aren't gladiators, they are dropped into the cellar.

Prisoners, cellar, or purged into deep pools of water and repeating spikes.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2009, 04:36:37 am »

Sometimes I set up little fireplaces with wood logs stored behind a wall grate.

I give one guy the profession of Undertaker.  He has a tiny room near the graveyard to live in and his own Mason's shop to build coffins.  His only labors are Masonry and Burial.  Burial is removed from everyone else's labors.

I like doing stuff like the fireplaces too; lots of fun.

The Undertaker thing, though, that's just genius. I hope you don't mind if I pillage the concept.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2009, 05:17:54 am »

[MATGLOSS_WOOD:FIREWOOD]
[NAME:firewood][ADJ:firewood]
[TILE:5]
[PREFSTRING:warmth]
[BIOME:ALL_MAIN]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:10200]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1346]

Alternatively, add the last 5 tags to all the trees you want to use for firewood (in matgloss_wood.txt). It might be hard to light. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to go about it. 10200 is 111 degrees Celcius or 232 Fahrenheit, by the way. You could easily lower the ignite_point for long enough for it to catch alight however. Note that you might be able to prolong or shorten burning duration by changing the SPEC_HEAT or SOLID_DENSITY. I don't think research has really been done there. Also note that, if you lower the ignition point it will cause all instances of firewood to catch alight (not trees IIRC) if they meet the criteria, not just the ones in your grate.

Suggestions: have a tower with firewood atop it. Pump magma to 7/7 in the z-level directly beneath the firewood. Enjoy your signal fires. For bonus points, mod in a friendly creature which tolerates fire and put it on that point, so that flying enemies will set themselves alight trying to kill it.

Hell, for bonus points drop kittens in it. Slow death by fire is better than instantaneous death by magma, at least as far as mind-control rodent hunters are concerned.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2009, 06:27:44 am »

Is he also a champion Wrestler? ;D
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2009, 05:35:44 pm »

<whole bunch of stuff about firewood>

Ooh, you could put a stockpile of this on one side of a magma moat and a bridge over it, then send dwarves you don't like to go dump it... as they carry it back, WHOOSH!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2009, 10:22:31 pm »

then they run screamin to the food stockpile and WHOOSH FUN!!!
Nom nom nom

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:10 pm »

I like capturing invaders and releasing them into a bizzarro-fortress that is just under my real one, has the same layout, furniture, and stockpiles filled with gourmet meals, but has no dwarves or contact with the surface.  They spend the rest of their lives partying in decadence in a guilded cage, while my dwarves toil for their benefit.

Then, at night, my high priest of Armok comes for them.  Takes them one by one.

They are never seen again.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2009, 09:37:37 am »

I turn all those idiots with jobs I don't care about into a mason army and smooth and engrave every surface in the entire fortress. 30 masons make quick work of things. I also tend to give every profession (except for soap makers :P ) 4 dwarves, just to be on the safe side.

I'm also keen on giving legendary miners a vacation until the other miners catch up to them.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26