Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 50194 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2010, 11:52:57 am »

Don't they get bad thoughts from a dirty well or something? I've never actually built a well, but I've heard it happen. Also, to all of the people digging out and walling of the heavy metals, do you also pave the floor? Because the floor is still a pitchblende/orpiment/cinnabar/... floor? Or do ou even go completely overboard and channel out and repave those tiles, just to be sure there is no toxin left? And what if you use a very porous rock, such as limestone or sandstone?

As for eccentric behaviour, I'm currently hoarding all microcline I can find. But this is more of a one-time thing, actually.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2010, 11:58:02 am »

I always pave the floor of waterways, but that's more because I'm paranoid about tower-caps growing and blocking the flow of water.  I know some people say they've seen tower-caps grow on constructed floors, but so far in my fortresses paving channels with constructed floors has been a 100% effective method of stopping tower-caps from growing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2010, 02:36:16 am »

OP,you gave me an idea. I'm making a dwarfmas tree out of rock. It's going to be like a green pyramid that takes up several levels,and on the top of each level is going to be gem stockpiles for dwarfmas lights. At the tippy top,I can put a pretty golden statue :D

maybe I can even tame a few reindeers or polar bears and chain them to it :3
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:39:56 am by kawaiidesunekochan »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26:38 am »

OP,you gave me an idea. I'm making a dwarfmas tree out of rock. It's going to be like a green pyramid that takes up several levels,and on the top of each level is going to be gem stockpiles for dwarfmas lights. At the tippy top,I can put a pretty golden statue :D

maybe I can even tame a few reindeers or polar bears and chain them to it :3

Instead of a gem stockpile, how about gem windows? Where each window has three differently coloured gems. If I'm not mistaken, the windows will flash between the colours of the gems used, creating flashing fairy lights.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »

I'm currently on a "NO IMPORTED WEALTH" kick; all imported goods get either melted, decorated, or otherwise consumed. Except for the clothes on their backs, everything my dwarves have or use is created in this fortress. Metal armor and weapons are melted, cloth and leather items are decorated, seeds are planted, and meat is cooked. Everything gets naturalized or consumed one way or another. The only one which gives me trouble is non-weapon-grade metal bars; don't need metal crafts enough to use them, and don't want to melt them down to destroy them.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »

You could decorate your über-weapon with those bars: take the ☼Steel weapon☼ and plant a decoration in every metal/gem/bone/... you can find on it.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »

Or alloy them, or turn them into furniture if you have a set of three.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2010, 01:05:57 am »

If I find that there are at least 3 dwarves with the same name in a relatively small fort, I immediately move them all into one squad, and recruit them.

If there are enough of the same name to make up the entire palace guard, I do that instead.

That sounds awesome, but what if one of them is a Legendary Weaponsmith or Armorer?

That is a problem. Then I usually just try to have the group become an honour guard for the legendary one: stationed at their workshop, or by their quarters, or patrolling between them.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »

This is a minor necro, but I've noticed this a while ago and have been wanting to post it for a while.

I'm finding that I abuse traffic orders to make the dwarves behave how I like. For example, all tables are restricted - dwarves will politely walk around only, and I treat them like walls in term of access. Also, in areas like the jail building with a main lobby and front desk, I make dwarves run up to the desk and check in first (a fortress guard will generally be sitting in his 'office' behind the desk) using high-priority lines before moving inside. It definitely adds to my sense of immersion. Plus I like unnecessary things like adding secretaries with full multi-desk offices for each of my main appointed nobles to have working for them and that sort of thing.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:31 am »

I feel that this thread should stay alive.

I'm finding that I abuse traffic orders to make the dwarves behave how I like. For example, all tables are restricted - dwarves will politely walk around only, and I treat them like walls in term of access. Also, in areas like the jail building with a main lobby and front desk, I make dwarves run up to the desk and check in first (a fortress guard will generally be sitting in his 'office' behind the desk) using high-priority lines before moving inside. It definitely adds to my sense of immersion. Plus I like unnecessary things like adding secretaries with full multi-desk offices for each of my main appointed nobles to have working for them and that sort of thing.

Ah yes, I do that too. For some reason, it bothers me to see an elephant, three dogs, and a herd of cattle standing on a table. Especially when a dwarf comes along and happily sits down to eat.

Oh yes, I also have a personal vendetta against all pets, especially cats. I always build special devices to destroy pets without harming the owners. Cats are different, though. Anyone who immigrates with a cat is given the custom profession "Cat-Friend" and is stationed in a sealed room with the cat. The room is then purged with magma.

My dwarves' rooms are always 3*3, and include a bed, door, cabinet, and chest. Legendaries get a 3*4 room with double doors, and occasionally a personal dining room upstairs. Nobles' offices always have to have a waiting room with a reception desk, then an "interior" door into the office itself. Nobles who behave (by restricting their mandates to obtainable materials) get clear glass aquariums with live fish.

I dig 1*2 niches in my great hall for artifacts to be placed. By messing around with stockpiles, I can get specific "craft" artifacts into specific places. Then, I seal them off with clear glass windows to give it a nice "museum" feel.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:04 am »

I go through and change profession names to family names and put families together in their own room, it really changes things when a member of such 'family' dies you know almost exactly who to cheer up.

That and I give legendaries nicknames based on ancient myths...Jonah legendary fisherdwarf cancles fish, Interupted by Zombie Whale.

And the nitpicking over how stuff looks.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2010, 04:48:26 am »

Using the Economic Stones mod, I always arrange my dining rooms' tables and chairs to have a neat pattern of colors.  Four tables and four chairs for each color.

It started through my habit of building the middle tables and chairs first, then making new ones and putting them on either side as my fortress population expanded.  Eventually, not sure when, I started making each set of tables and chairs out of different colored stones, metals, or wood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:05 am »

I always smooth out all the floors in the dining hall/workshops area first, then go back and do the walls. I just like the way it looks.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Khasha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2010, 12:04:42 pm »

Dopey, Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Doc, Bashful ;)

The last (and only) time I did this, Doc was the leader, naturally (interesting because I did an 'embark with absolutely nothing' embark). Sometime around the end of the first year, about 20 Rhesus Macaques showed up. One of them snatched out Sleepy's eye... You know the rest.

Sleepy had an unfortunate accident with a drawbridge the following year.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 23, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »

I just remembered that I only engrave walls due to my lack of ability it tell them apart from engraved floors at a glance.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26