Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Spartan training program for children?  (Read 9694 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan training program for children?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:45 pm »

I'm not sure if I even like the idea of having kids make all sorts of friends through socializing.  What's the first thing that happens when a few of my Spartans with tons of friends dies?  I think you get the idea.
Those that gain the "Doesn't care about anything anymore" attribute or have personality traits that make them insensitive to the death of friends will survive. Think of it as a kind of "natural selection" if you will. (Of course, since you are doing this for personal entertainment rather than practicality, you wouldn't care about the lost children :P)

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 05:00:07 pm »

And repeating this over generations would cause the surviving parents to gain "Doesn't care about anything anymore" as well.

Though, you'd have to do alot to keep the Dwarves happy as their children die year after year...

And why is this sounding like a Fallout 3 town?

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 05:42:04 pm »

And repeating this over generations would cause the surviving parents to gain "Doesn't care about anything anymore" as well.

Though, you'd have to do alot to keep the Dwarves happy as their children die year after year...

And why is this sounding like a Fallout 3 town?
Keeping them happy from this is relatively easy actually.  I would be sure to prevent the corpses from rotting though.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 05:57:20 pm »

So, since we have the whole getting kids to train thing somewhat understood, how do we get kids to stray into some place where we can take them hostage?  Can we assign kids beds?
Lever and bridge into 1 z-level drop. Assign the kids as the only ones who can pull it and stick it on repeat.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »

The next fort I make, I'm doing something like this.  I currently have a surplus of children (~100) but they are already all nice and cozy with everybody else in my fort and I don't want to cause a Boatmurdered.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 07:19:31 pm »

I am trying this.

Unfortunately all my dwarves so far are legendary talkers and they are all FRIENDS. And no migrants :(

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27:07 pm »

Hmmm...

Do children obey the "dwarves stay indoors order?

Whatever; just go on a map with really dangerous wildlife and keep all the children locked outside.  When new children are born, figure out some way to get them to go outside too.  Drop food and booze out there for them but otherwise make them fend for themselves.  Maybe you'll get one or two survivors that live to be awesomely tough adults.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 07:43:48 pm »

I am trying this.

Unfortunately all my dwarves so far are legendary talkers and they are all FRIENDS. And no migrants :(

Time to smooth all those walls to increase your wealth then.

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 12:14:01 am »

ive never seen a macaque wound a dwarf in an all out fight but have had a few hunters thrown off bridges while wrestling with macaques. on a related note, unarmed hunters are probobally the most badass thing in the world. imagine for a moment a dwarf wearing hunter's leathers running up to an elk and strangling it to feed the fortress

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 02:01:21 am »

ive never seen a macaque wound a dwarf in an all out fight but have had a few hunters thrown off bridges while wrestling with macaques. on a related note, unarmed hunters are probobally the most badass thing in the world. imagine for a moment a dwarf wearing hunter's leathers running up to an elk and strangling it to feed the fortress
This, but have him train with the wrestlers until he pulls off two socks (one in each hand). You then have a dwarf charging at wildlife with socks on his hands and strangling animals to death.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 02:14:17 am »

You can get "Does not care about anything anymore" by simply putting butchers workshop in your meeting hall/dining room. Dwarves will see a lot of deaths and level up really fast at being not bothered by their children rotting or dying.

That takes care of parents,

and for kids, i guess that being locked in 1x2 room (one water tile - no booze for them!) where chunks get tossed reguraly (miasma!) and with no bed will piss em off really, really fast all the way to tantruming.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 02:25:32 am »

Oh god ... I just realized how inhuman this is ... what a buch of sickos we are!  :'(

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 03:03:48 am »

Oh god ... I just realized how inhuman awesome this is ... what a buch of sickos geniuses we are!   :D

Fixed

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 08:10:29 am »

Oh god ... I just realized how inhuman this is ... what a buch of sickos we are!  :'(

Of course it's inhuman. They're dwarves;D
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 06:20:11 pm »

if i build this wil it work

level 1 
FFF
F F
FFF

level 2
W   W

level3
WWWW
WG BW
WWWW
level 4
D F W

do i build it out side to stop miasma or in side for bones?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4