Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old 2D Community/Succession Fort - [IN NEW THREAD]  (Read 6812 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Old 2D Community/Succession Fort - [IN NEW THREAD]
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:44:43 pm »

I've been seeing too many community fortresses where everything is too darn stable. The ones that aren't are all new players, or people very deliberately making mistakes. It's either somewhat boring outright or too staged. I want to see a game where players, who understand Dwarf Fortress, are genuinely trying their best and yet there's still an element of surprise.

So, what if we started up a DF 0.21.93.19a (version subject to change, this is the oldest one) community fortress? Would anyone be interested?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:34:54 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Ye Olde Communitie Game - [PROPOSAL]
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:16:18 pm »

wait, a what kind of fortress? o.O
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Communitie Game - [PROPOSAL]
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:08:50 pm »

Community, or succession. Whatever works.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Old DF Version Community/Succession - [PROPOSAL]
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:42:54 pm »

I meant what version of DF, sorry.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:51:29 pm »

Version 0.21.93.19a, which is the oldest I could find.

Is your page loading properly? That was in the first post (as a link even).

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 01:21:56 am »

erm... I need to be more precise. I think what I'm getting at is "how is it different than the current edition"

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 01:37:17 am »

It would be 2-d, so no z-axis, wall/floor building, workshop profiles, dumping/hiding or, probably, forbidding.  Farming is harder and more realistic, enemies attack in more interesting ways, there's no variety in terrain and much less variety between sites in general, dwarves lack individual personalities, animals eat, and, probably, there are more nobles.  I've never played a version that old, though, so there's probably a lot of other differences too.

This is a good idea, although I don't know if I can commit personally.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:39:22 am by nil »

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:07:03 am »

D: that would be interesting, but older versions can't have enlarged grid size... which pretty much pulverizes me. i can't play with that tiny window!

i really can't. i actually experience vertigo when trying.

.... but if i can somehow increase the gridsize, hmm...

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 05:31:05 am »

Sounds interesting, always wanted to play 2d :P(never have played it before)... but would newer 2d version be better??
Anyway I like idea and I wanna join, if you make this fortress, ASAP!^^
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:35:06 am by Ezk1 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:28:32 pm »

erm... I need to be more precise. I think what I'm getting at is "how is it different than the current edition"
I don't remember, exactly. That's the entire point- it will be FUN!!

Anyway, for the purposes of this game, use of the old wiki will be forbidden, unless it's greatly necessary. I might do a bit, before we start, to decide on the most FUN version. In addition, I'd like to see if anyone who played the 2D versions has a good suggestion (without, of course, saying why). If the above rules are severely hampering our fun, then they can be flexible, but learning is FUN!

Anyway, it seems there's enough interest to kickstart this. So, the rules:

-No peeking at the old wiki, unless you really need to because something's not working. Using what scraps of knowledge you've heard is fine. Other than that, the main reason we're playing is to have a community fort where everyone (mostly) is new to the noob stumbles.
-The fort will be both a community fort, and a succession fort. The community fort players are free to roleplay their dwarves, and make them do things. The succession players are community players (or at least can be) when they are not leading the fortress. It is possible to just be a community player, or not bother with any roleplaying when you aren't a leader.
-As always, the term for leadership is one year. Watch that date, I don't know if there's a message on season change!

You may now sign up. After the first seven, there will be a waiting/migrant list. Once we have seven people (or they stop coming) the fort will start in a new thread. Please post your:
Name:
Preferred Gender (no guarantees):
Profession (TRY to have a mixed swath of professions among you):
Other info/profile (optional):

Ezk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old 2D Community/Succession Fort - [SIGNUPS][CHOOSE_VERSION]
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:35:21 pm »

Name: Ezkh
Profession:"I like feel of pick at the mornig, so miner and allways have passion for cooking, and im not afraid of taking live of little kittens(those little bastards...)"
Other info: Ezk1 have allways been hated for hes wierd sence of humour, so hes home fortress cant wait to get rid of him. Also Ezk1 have allways have soul of adventurer, and when hears that King is looking few dwarfs to build up new outpost, he is ASAP volunteer...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:35:29 pm »

...anyone else?

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:41:36 pm »

Name: Rice
Profession: Stonecrafter/mason/miner
Other Info: SMOOTH EVERYTHING

Also as a note I've played the 2-D version, but I dont think I've played that version... maybe it will have the scripted events I've heard so much about!

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 09:35:12 pm »

Hmmm...

Name: Xanthius
Profession: Military (Axedwarf)
Other Info: Signed up to go to the latest fortress. A bit sociopathic.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:59:05 pm »

Hell, self sign up. I'll certainly be in there, anyway.

Name: Sensei
Gender: Male (Everyone after this is going end up female, most likely, I'm afraid)
Profession: Social skills
Other info: Strong sense of honor. Very harsh opinion of dwarves who make mistakes. Intricately knotted beard.

Alright, that leaves three spots open. If I can get two more people in the next 20-30 mins (unlikely, I admit) I can start the main thread tonight. Based on nothing, I've decided we should use v21.93.19c instead of a.
Pages: [1] 2