Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For the love of god, Montressor!  (Read 3147 times)

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For the love of god, Montressor!
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »

OK, is anyone else tempted to place a 1-tile custom booze stockpile in any space they plan to enclose? I mean, if my dwarfs are going to insist that the proper place to stand when bricking something up is inside of said thing, then I'd at least like to get  some sort of referential humor out of it.

EDIT: Oh, right, the gameplay discussion part. Is there a way to reliably keep the little retards from doing this? I've tried designating the outside as a high traffic area, and the inside as a no dwarf zone, but no dice. the only thing I've found that works so far is to have the other side of teh wall be a gaping hole, and that's simply not always practical.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:49:28 pm by HastyLumbago »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Re: For the love of god, Montressor!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 03:51:46 pm »

Ah.. What dwarven fortress would be complete without bones in the walls?

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:09:11 pm »

Um, Mine? Never felt the need for dead dwarfs in the walls. I usually build a separate entombment complex. Although as a point of pride, I usually wait for my dwarfs to be dead before entombing them.

The reason for this thread is that at the moment I have to have two z-levels between floors in the necropolis because of the channel I have to dig in front of the last wall section to keep my dorfs from walling themselves in with their dearly departed.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »

If you set a wall to be built on the side you don't want your dwarves walling themselves in on, and suspend the construction, they'll typically build your wall from the right side.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:15:18 pm »

Also, dwarves do not build in a diagonal.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:17:57 pm »

To be more general, when dwarves are building constructions or buildings, they will prefer to stand on a tile which does not have a pending construction/building on it. If, however, said tile is the only valid location (e.g. all others are diagonal), they'll stand there anyways. For deconstructing, though, it's a bit tricker, and for channeling it's pretty much impossible to force them to stand in a specific place.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 04:18:43 pm »

Goblin bones, that is. Too bad they don't starve.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 04:31:45 pm »

Goblin bones, that is. Too bad they don't starve.

No, but if you wall them up and abandon, once their buddies come around to let them out of the wall, they'll ever-so-thoughtfully put the walls back up before they leave. Presumably it's also these rescuer-goblins who scatter everything we've produced for miles around the fortress.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:13 pm »

To be more general, when dwarves are building constructions or buildings, they will prefer to stand on a tile which does not have a pending construction/building on it. If, however, said tile is the only valid location (e.g. all others are diagonal), they'll stand there anyways. For deconstructing, though, it's a bit tricker, and for channeling it's pretty much impossible to force them to stand in a specific place.
That's odd, when I "entombed" my third tax collector, my mason walled himself in with him, despite the fact that both were standing on a lever!
Diagram:
Wo W
WCWWWWWWW
++++++++++

W=natural wall
o=Lever, with Tax Collector and Mason on top
C=constructed wall
+=free floor
The mason walled himself in with the tax collector

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:10:43 pm »

...does not have a pending construction/building on it.

Already built buildings that they can stand on don't stop them being silly.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »

The problem is that dwarfs can't (or really don't like to?) build diagonally.  They need to be on one of the four sides.  I had the same problem and I tried everything.  I guess you should build the corners first.

At least your dwarf won't die of a cough.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 07:23:47 am »

They generally wall themselves in when the enclosed area is to the north or west of the wall they are building.  Dorfs prefer to stand in those directions when doing things, possibly due to magnetic fields interacting with metal ore dust in their beards.

No, but if you wall them up and abandon, once their buddies come around to let them out of the wall, they'll ever-so-thoughtfully put the walls back up before they leave. Presumably it's also these rescuer-goblins who scatter everything we've produced for miles around the fortress.

Its Dwarven Quantum Mechanics.  When you're not observing the dwarves, they enter a superposition of all possible states, travelling through the walls and filling the whole map.  When you come back to reclaim, their wavefunction collapses and they appear somewhere as a whole dwarf again, even if they could never get there in classical dwarf physics.  Sadly every one of them comes back mute and crazy, completely unable to work.  Who knows what terrible things they must have seen while dematerialized?  Maybe they even saw Hell itself..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:41 am »

You know, I once lost and reclaimed a fortress and made an interesting discovery. There was a section where a small hallway had been completely walled in (constructed walls over the only entrances, completely surrounded otherwise by natural walls). When I came back, oddly enough, this empty space had become natural wall again.

I think it had something to do with the way DF stores sites post-abandon.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 10:24:20 am »

The space shouldn't have become natural wall, but simply be un-revealed - had you dug into that region, the hollowed out space inside should have become visible again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 07:20:34 pm »

The natural wall thing has happened to me too.

Note that it allows you to rediscover magma pools/pipes upon reclaim, and thereby circumvents the glitch whereby reclaimed fortresses cannot build magma buildings due to not having "discovered" a magma pipe.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2