Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The final resting place of your dwarfs.  (Read 4857 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: The final resting place of your dwarfs.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:18 am »

Currently, a graveyard on my fortress roof. Perhaps my dwarves are trying to raise the ground level and give themselves more underground to work with.

The nobles have their own tombs, of course, but none of them have died yet. Though the baroness somehow got trapped on the far side of the river before I built a bridge, so I assume it's only a matter of time.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 02:13:33 pm »

My current fort just lobs everyone into a chasm.

But this is a departure for me.  I love opulant tombs, especially if they are trapped, or sealed underwater.  Just so no goblin tries to turn Aunty Urist into a skull totem.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 02:46:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:07:14 pm by Stany »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 02:57:05 pm »

In my biggest fortress I use several submerged towers about 13 z levels tall for tombs.  Some levels have common graves for regular dwarves, others make up a single noble's tomb. They connect to each other, but only one has access to the outside, forming a (very simple) maze.  At the end of it is the king's tomb, but to clear the path you have to pull three levers which are spread throughout the submerged towers.  You must do this in the correct order, or else the path will be permanently flooded (with one exception that will kill the dwarf who pulled the lever instead).

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 03:44:14 pm »

I'm actually planning on making a giant field of coffins outside my fort >.> My fort's name is Agemourn after all, so why not make suitably EPIC Field of coffins and memorials ALL AROUND the place =3
For some reason coffins can't be placed outside, so you'll either have to make temporary roofs over each coffin to place it, or enclose them in some kind of mini-mausoleums.
Barrows seem like a very dwarven burial style.

I tend to make a bunch of smallish rooms, say 10x10 apiece. Fill them with stone coffins, and place in the very back a special, valuable metal coffin for my military/nobles/starting 7. That way they will all have a host of servants in the afterlife.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 05:23:20 pm »

I have done a couple of the approaches above, including using the empty ore vein tunnels, making chambers deep in the earth, and digging something quickly in an upper dirt layer because of dire need.  Mostly it has been a kind of mass burial atmosphere.  On my current fortress I decided to place the coffins along the outside wall of the back of the dining hall.  My rationale was that the fallen comrades could still party with the rest, at least in memory.  The game then rewarded me with one of those things that makes this game so amazing, in my opinion.  Here are the pictures to explain what happened.

The dining hall did not have engravings when the coffins were placed, but this is how they looked otherwise.

There was a truly terrible attack by goblins.  I have never seen so many in one group.  I think it was caused by my unearthing rubies and sapphires while digging rooms for the nobility.  The fortress suddenly gained a lot of value.  I had 10 marksdwarves on the walls when it started, and only two survived.  The fatalities were of course buried behind the dining hall.  Here is one example.

Later on I had the walls of the dining hall engraved, and as I was purusing the engravings I realized that the each of the fallen marksdwarves were being commemorated in the "g" carvings.

This ability of the game to incorporate what has actually happened may be old hat to many of you, but I was amazed and delighted.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 06:38:29 pm »

I burry all my warriors under the areana they die in, after a warriors death and burial i build a statue to commemorate there bravory, peasants get thrown in the continental magma pipe line, nobles......they usually get tossed out the front door to rot. Kings or valued members get a sufficient burrial in a tomb
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 06:48:53 pm »

I usually go with the 7x7 rooms filled with coffins

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 03:08:52 am »

I've got the peasant burial area on the obsidian shelf next to the (currently empty) magma pool.  When I fill the pool again it will keep their dwarf bones warm in the afterlife.  The nobles/legendaries tombs are still work in progress but I was intending to give them large rooms cut into the shore of the artificial cave river.  The starting 7 are going to have masterwork obsidian coffins on a small engraved platform above the entrance hall/dining room, as soon as the mason gets around to making them. The dungeon master has a small tomb near to the forges where he works.

Usually I don't bother with burial unless there's miasma or a noble is complaining about it, but on the last fortress one of my more impressive dwarves died and I had to make a dozen coffins before he could be buried (I think free coffins are assigned in order of death, so all the useless peasants/military 'casualties' that had long since rotted to dust were appearing first in the ones I built).  It's a little bit maddening that tombs can't be assigned to the dead, it would be nice to be able to properly honor military heroes if they die bravely.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 08:44:09 am »

I leave the bottom 3 or 4 z-levels for catacombs, then the dig out long passageways that wind and interconnect randomly to create mazes. One day, dwarven dead will be able to rise from the grave as zombies - then I'll return as an adventurer, to brave the maze and hordes of zombies within (the undead remains of those who built very halls I desecrate) so that I can raid the king's adamantium tomb somewhere in the depths of the mountain.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 12:51:29 pm »

Common dwarves I bury in the exploratory mining shafts. I dig a few dozen 2x1 rooms off to the side of the shafts, pop in some coffins (usually I use whatever metal is most common on the map, my current map has so much malachite and sphalerite I'm making everything out of brass), and set em for burial. I'm even generous and let them bury their pets, though I'd rather butcher their pets, wish that was an option. It's good training for my metalsmiths and DM.

My Dungeon Master has a platinum sarcophagus. Unfortunately, I think he made it, because it's very low quality. When the baron and consort get here, I'll make theirs out of brass, and if they like obscure metals I'll assign them to the catapult bedroom and fill those coffins damn quick. I already have a titanium mayor, I don't need a adamantine baron and a mithril consort (dig deeper mod).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 01:57:12 pm »

Things I've done. (In all cases, I used the very deepest level I could reach for burials.

1. Dig 4 trenches, with a coffin at the end of each (In case of multiple deaths at once.) When a coffin is filled, build a wall, then place another coffin. The result looks like this:

#############
#0#0#0#0#0#0#0#
#############
#0#0#0#0#0#0#0#
#############
#0#0#0#0#0#0#0#
##############
#0#0#0#0#0#0#0#
##############

2. Use only magma safe receptacles. Encase them in obsidian after the dwarves are buried. (Probably the most dwarven burial, making them one with the mountain, but hard to do)

3. Combine their tombs with their bedrooms. Once they're buried, replace the door with a wall.

Things I'm considering.

Along the road to my fortress, set the graves up like this (side view)

... S
   \0

The \ is a ramp and the S is a statue.

Line the corridors like this:
=s are graveyard stockpiles
##################
#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

After a dwarf is placed in a stockpile, wall it off and install a window.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:55 pm »

My graves are very human-like. I find a nice spot on the map, where I dig out the graves, which consist of a down ramp into the ground and a single tile dug out. The coffin goes into the single dug out space. When a dwarf dies and is put in a coffin, I place state on the ground level directly above the coffin, and put a floor over the down ramp.
This means that after a lot of deaths, I have a huge field of statues, which is nice to look at in Visualiser.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »

Think I just diagrammed that, actually.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »

Along the road to my fortress, set the graves up like this (side view)

... S
   \0

The \ is a ramp and the S is a statue.

I set up an above ground graveyard like this once and surrounded it with vertical grates.
I think I still have that save...

*rummages file system*
Yup, found it.  Here is a shot of it, quite picturesque if you ask me.

(Above ground)

(Below ground)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5