Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The final resting place of your dwarfs.  (Read 4872 times)

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The final resting place of your dwarfs.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 01:40:38 am »

It really is boggling how many different questions can be formulated that end up having magma as a not-completely-unusual answer.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 05:10:27 am »

Coffins are destroyed by magma if not made of bauxite right? they can also be destroyed by building destroyers? I might have to make cairns for them. raise them up a level and put them on top of a engraved wall... wait, can't engrave walls, DAMN!

Anyway, it'd certainly make for a freaking awesome adventuring site once it's done ehn?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 05:18:31 am »

I just put them wherever there is room... mineshafts, temporary access tunnels to somewhere, abandoned rooms etc. They don't care ffs... just pile them somewhere - as long as you use coffins, they are fine

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 05:34:49 am »

It really is boggling how many different questions can be formulated that end up having magma as a not-completely-unusual answer.
If a sentence contains the words dwarf, elf or any of their derivatives, magma is an acceptable answer.

Coffins are destroyed by magma if not made of bauxite right? they can also be destroyed by building destroyers? I might have to make cairns for them. raise them up a level and put them on top of a engraved wall... wait, can't engrave walls, DAMN!

Anyway, it'd certainly make for a freaking awesome adventuring site once it's done ehn?
Coffins are destroyed if not made of bauxite, but you can make identical objects (differing only by name and material type): sarcophagi (metal), caskets (wood) and more coffins (glass). Make the sarcophagi out of nickel or iron (a few other metals as well, see the wiki).

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:29:46 am »

The fort in my sig has a nice necropolis in a tower-cap forest, waay down deep under the mountain.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:34 am »

I usually build 5x5 rooms, fully engraved. Usually loaded with 14 coffins. All in relatively out of the areas. Naturally, there are a ton of these littered around my current fortress.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:15 pm »

I'm actually planning on making a giant field of coffins outside my fort >.> My fort's name is Agemourn after all, so why not make suitably EPIC Field of coffins and memorials ALL AROUND the place =3
For some reason coffins can't be placed outside, so you'll either have to make temporary roofs over each coffin to place it, or enclose them in some kind of mini-mausoleums.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Copper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:51:54 pm »

If I have any reasonably pointy mountain peaks on the map, then I prefer to have the tombs directly under it, at the highest point. The deepest levels of my fort are where the rich and fancible dorfs live and I don't want them tripping over bodies. (the slums on the other hand are up top and the occasional body underfoot is no bother)

The original seven usually get mausoleums in the main square or somewhere interesting.

Except in my last fort, I started a small pyramid for the mayor's tomb - unfortunately he got shanked by a goblin before I got his it all the way built - apparently you can't assign tombs postmortem and his servants citizens decided that 14 dead traitors from the nearby goblin tower were more worthy of burial than their beloved pharaoh elected official, so in order to prevent unhappy thoughts I had to gather all the dwarves to hold a ceremony inside it - unfortunately it collapsed into a a bottomless pit shortly thereafter.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:32:21 pm »

I haven't played  enough forts to have a style for regular coffins, but nobles I've been sticking in a communal mausoeum in a played out gold vein.  Engraved native gold floors boost the value and keep the nobles quiet. 

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:11 pm »

I usually start my forts in a sort of a cave-like setting, the first storages and corridors are never smoothed and their shapes are often non-geometric and asymmetrical, so the couple first dead are usually buried in a little cave or tiny alcoves in the walls. When I later get my proper fort dug out the original site is first used as a storage area and then slowly abandoned. Leaving me with a bit ghostly 'old fort' where only the dead linger.

When the real fortress is up, I usually build large or semi-large graveyard rooms that tend to be engraved. As the fort prospers, more luxurious tombs are built along with other projects.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 02:38:06 pm »

My nobles actually get their tomb right next to their bedroom, dining room and office. Too lazy to design something different, so I went with a complex, of 4 wings of 4 sets of 4x4 rooms. Each noble take a wing, and each wing will house their room, dining room, office and tomb. Since I've so many z-lvls anyway, so I can do that. At the moment, I can house 40 nobles this way. I suppose I can go give each noble a floor on their own (and house 10), but I think that's rather over kill.

michaelmuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:14 pm »

i put them in a coffin on a remote drawbridge, pull the lever, and pretend i'm shooting them into space inside a photon torpedo

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »

I build towers for my crypts. Big ones.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 10:35:41 am »

usually my genral tombs look liek this:
=========
*O*O*O*O*==
*S*S*S*S*==
*********==
*S*S*S*S*==
*O*O*O*O*==
=========

=: Hallways
O: coffin
S: statue
*: rock
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 10:45:09 am »

I'm currently working off and on with my tombs. My plan is to group tombs together based on relations so that means variable sized rooms.

that and some of the families in my fortress are 14 members big...

Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5