Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The final resting place of your dwarfs.  (Read 4860 times)

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: The final resting place of your dwarfs.
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2010, 01:20:04 pm »

My first seven get mausoleums better than a king's, protected by as much deadly traps as I can (drowning chambers, cave-in traps, MAGMA!, all my POW from every single siege released if someone reaches tomb, etc)

Useless dwarves I kill on purpose get a coffin made out of microcline. Yes, I torture them even when dead.

Any useful dwarf gets a small tomb, and I enlarge and decorate each tomb the more I discover a dwarf is being useful to me (omg this guy just built the whole megaproject alone because I forgot to turn on masonry on other people!)

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »

Usually I make my burial receptacles out of clear or crystal glass if I can, and if I can't I just use plain old rock. I don't have that many dwarves die in my fortresses, somehow, so I never have a great need for large burial chambers.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »

I chuck coffins into the alcoves I dig into the walls of my hallways for this precise purpose.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2010, 10:16:28 pm »

I make a room and coffin for all my useful dwarfs. I make a small hallway that have 2 wardogs chained up. If any thieves get past them then they got more to go. I make a 4x4 room that is smoothed then engraved.  The door is a floodgate with a lever right next to it so it can be opened. I then fill the room with water after the floodgate is closed. So in a lever puller tries to get in the roomt, they get hit by a wall of water. If they don't run away from that they have to get past whip traps with 3 whips. 3 traps each hallway. Then they get to the grave....that has a pressure plate randomly in the room that releases 2 more wardogs. In my best dwarfs grave I replace the dogs with elephants. I try to always put in an artifact for fun and 4 statues. If they get though all that they get to take whatever artifact is in the room....hey if I had magma I would replace the water with it.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »

I just have a small public gravesite outside, bodies tossed in, no miasma, and saves me from having to make coffins.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 06:47:08 am »

I use layered Burial Areas, building them as they are needed and with each one being different from the last. This results in some good designs and some butt ugly ones. Also, on top of each coffin I put a Note telling me about the dwarf that lies there and their death. If the dwarf was particularly remarkable he gets another note next tom him (usually in form of a question mark) detailing more about his life.
Here are some screen shots:

One of my levels (coffins are made out of iron, except when they are made of silver (same value):

Now viewed with Notes activated:

Example of a Note:

My newest (current (unfilled)) level:

Also, nobles get their own designed chamber.

Finally:
Along the road to my fortress, set the graves up like this (side view)

... S
   \0

The \ is a ramp and the S is a statue.

I set up an above ground graveyard like this once and surrounded it with vertical grates.
I think I still have that save...

*rummages file system*
Yup, found it.  Here is a shot of it, quite picturesque if you ask me.

(Above ground)

(Below ground)

Thats a really great idea.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 07:40:54 am »

I use wooden caskets and then drop said caskets into a crematory kiln (a 10X10 building full of ever-burning coal) :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]