Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starquest Online(Otherwise known as SQO)  (Read 5397 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starquest Online(Otherwise known as SQO)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:56 am »

Worst controls I have ever seen in a game.

Tutorial messed up twice, one time where I couldn't move anymore, and another when I couldn't attack/target those damn dummies.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 06:44:02 am »

Yeah, I tried it for like 7 hours and found the same thing.
Also trying to fabricate was frustrating, had enough..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 02:01:05 pm »

Tutorial messed up twice, one time where I couldn't move anymore, and another when I couldn't attack/target those damn dummies.
There was a tutorial!?

Not that it would have mattered. The second I read that you have to type "Buy" to buy from an NPC I uninstalled the game.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 07:50:03 am »

Well, it's fuck up laggy and the controls are... odd. But it does have potential. Just the lag. It's terrible. They really need either a better server or better netcode. Shortly after finishing the tutorial and taking my first mission, the game crapped out and won't even run. :S

And by potential, I mean the ship simulation aspects. You can walk around the whole ship and there are turbolifts working as you'd expect them (rather than just teleporting around). And the end of the fleet academy tutorial does show a bit of how ships work - think Star Fleet 2 or a 3-dimensional Starfleet Command. Although I'm left to wonder how damage works (as in, is it physically visible or just ship stats). I'm also slightly dissapointed by the apparent lack of a medbay, instantly making my medical career choice seem like a bad one.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 10:50:14 am »

Yeah, the concept of the game is great, but the execution is really poor..
And they charge a high price for it IMO..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 05:39:18 pm »

Well, there are a few flaws in you guys complaints.
Meh. This game is bad.

The lag is pretty terrible and it appearently requires you to "equip" money to buy things.

There is zero direction in the game.
Lag is usually only very bad on terra, really it depends on your computer. I experience almost no lag at all. I probably would experience orgasm-of-pain level of lag if i went onto Terra.

They apparently havnt worked on the tutorial bugs yet, but trust me, the actual game isnt that bad.
Yeah, I tried it for like 7 hours and found the same thing.
Also trying to fabricate was frustrating, had enough..
Fabricating isnt so hard, you just need enough skill and to drag the materials then the tool required and ctrl+click on the selection, then when its all done click create and drop it in your inv.

There was a tutorial!?

Not that it would have mattered. The second I read that you have to type "Buy" to buy from an NPC I uninstalled the game.
Well, you're just weird then. If you don't like typing three letters on a computer i don't even see how you managed to go through the groaning-for-you process of typing out a forum post.
Well, it's fuck up laggy and the controls are... odd. But it does have potential. Just the lag. It's terrible. They really need either a better server or better netcode. Shortly after finishing the tutorial and taking my first mission, the game crapped out and won't even run. :S

And by potential, I mean the ship simulation aspects. You can walk around the whole ship and there are turbolifts working as you'd expect them (rather than just teleporting around). And the end of the fleet academy tutorial does show a bit of how ships work - think Star Fleet 2 or a 3-dimensional Starfleet Command. Although I'm left to wonder how damage works (as in, is it physically visible or just ship stats). I'm also slightly dissapointed by the apparent lack of a medbay, instantly making my medical career choice seem like a bad one.
Lag is horrible on Terra, like i said. If your computer isnt a monster it can still handle it, its not horrible on Starships/non laggy planets. Remember, their still working some bugs out Virts. Starship damage is both physical and statistical, and look harder. There is a medbay on almost every ship except a duchess. Lots of space, and YES a medbay does affect it. +10 to the chance of healing someone correctly if there is a medbay/hospital on the ship/planet.
I dunno, if your really frustrated with it.. Well, their even staying in the black. They have to charge a huge price because not many people play, even then donations are pretty much the only thing that keeps it afloat. They have to pay for their company's building's bills, server costs, employee's wages, etc. If you really don't like it wait until www.stardestiny.com comes out, and no it's not that they were frustrated its just that they decided to make another game loosely based off of SQO.

God, you guys are quick to post RAEG comments and give up on a game, i'm pretty experienced in the game but seriously, give it a chance.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 05:53:44 pm »

Noone here is "RAEGING". They're just pointing out what works (Namely the concept) and what doesn't (The UI, controls, etc.). This game has potential but I for one think it needs some more work before I actually enjoy the experience of playing it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:27:59 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:22:31 pm »

There's no Rage, and "Flaw" on comments was pretty weird. It looks like you're a dev, or a family member of a dev to defend it like this.

I still prefer a 'menu' rather than say "Lt. Ninja Wootson I would like to require a mission" or even "Lt. require misson".

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:09 pm »

Well, i'm not a dev or a family member of a dev. I've just been with it for a long time and know the workings of it, not that im changing my opinion of it. It's a good game.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:40 am »

I don't really understand why the lag would be different on a planet than on a starship. I mean, it's not like they have seperate servers for them, do they? And the lags really mostly happened during the tutorial and a mission on the Ticonderoga, I spent merely a minute or two on Terra. A more likely cause is simply that their server is exclusively located in the US and I'm not. :S

Also, I thought ships didn't have medbays due to the wiki not having one documented on the Ticonderoga class and most ships supposedly being based on that class.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 03:15:51 am »

You would think the first thing you would want to do is have the tutorial bug-free. I might pick up this game later, when I have nothing better to do, but right now, I really don't feel like doing the tutorial for a forth time. One of my pet peeves is to do stuff over again.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 08:49:57 am »

You would think the first thing you would want to do is have the tutorial bug-free. I might pick up this game later, when I have nothing better to do, but right now, I really don't feel like doing the tutorial for a forth time. One of my pet peeves is to do stuff over again.
Well, you can skip through the tutorial by typing in end simulation, you'll teleport to the planet.  Or the guy might initially come in and along his speech youll find him say that.
I don't really understand why the lag would be different on a planet than on a starship. I mean, it's not like they have seperate servers for them, do they? And the lags really mostly happened during the tutorial and a mission on the Ticonderoga, I spent merely a minute or two on Terra. A more likely cause is simply that their server is exclusively located in the US and I'm not. :S

Also, I thought ships didn't have medbays due to the wiki not having one documented on the Ticonderoga class and most ships supposedly being based on that class.
Actually, it is located in the northern US, but most people, even US players can and do experience lag on Terra. On the different maps thing, yes to that question. The mechanics of the game is so that to get from a planet to a starship you need to teleport to that 'other' map. This is how they managed to get consoles into the game, so now you see why lag can be different on very populated planets then on regular starships. On the Ticonderoga question, they aren't based off of them, and i think the medbay for it is at 7 FWD. I'm not sure about that though. I DO however know that there is a medbay on all of the ships except duchess's, possibly some Therataan ships, and some Klinshayan Ships.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:44 pm »

The reason typing "buy" pisses me off is because it shows a complete disregard for usuability. If your design staff can't take advantage of right clicking like every other game since 1998, what else did you fail at?

I've played MUDs extensively, I have no trouble typing things out. But when a team takes the time to build a graphical engine instead of  honoring basic gaming standards, I don't really want to bother with it.

I would love to play a game LIKE this but these guys failed.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:27 pm »

Well, this game was made a while ago and right click is what you use to move, like i said, you can always use the arrow keys even though its a bit jittery.

Point remaining, if you right clicked someone, that would just make you move into them. Now you're most likely wondering why they dont have an actual chat system, I suppose that other, more important things have came up that have pushed it back a bit. Thus, the WASD keys are used for typing. Most people are just fine with right-clicking. I don't see why you really honestly hate it but.. I might as well give you guys a treat. Still in developement, made by some old SQO'ers[most of wich are still playing SQO], i bring you Star Destiny

I know these guys, and was offered a job as a programmer. I turned it down because right now my life requires much more attention then i have time for learning code, practicing it enough, and having enough time to actually impact the project. Thus I said to myself, i would be just using up a valuable job space that another person who possibly has more time could accomplish more thoroughly. I simply don't have the attention span or time to be a programmer, but hey, i can wait for it to come out!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 12:37:27 am »

I know these guys, and was offered a job as a programmer. I turned it down because right now my life requires much more attention then i have time for learning code, practicing it enough, and having enough time to actually impact the project. Thus I said to myself, i would be just using up a valuable job space that another person who possibly has more time could accomplish more thoroughly. I simply don't have the attention span or time to be a programmer, but hey, i can wait for it to come out!

They offered you a job, as a programmer, before you knew code?

Anyway, I don't want to turn the thread into a bash war or anything. Suffice to say if you are on the fence about spending your download time on this game, I'd say do not do it. Maybe when the more important things they are working on get finished and they can build a real UI. Totally not worth 9.99 a month.
Pages: 1 [2] 3