Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rugs + Tiles  (Read 914 times)

vhramis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Rugs + Tiles
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:43:00 pm »

Had two thoughts, both of which may have been suggested before. And God knows there's plenty of craftable things already.

Animal skin rugs, made at the leatherworker out of hides as a trade good, or as something that could be placed on floors as furniture.

And, perhaps at the mason, dark or light stone tiles could be produced to add some value to floor space, as an alternative to engraving. Like if a certain noble enjoys jet, you could tile their floor with it. I remember reading something about there being plans to allow ores or metal to be enlaid in floor, so this could easily be somewhat unneeded.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Rugs + Tiles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:02:00 am »

Rugs and hangable wall decorations are somewhere in the bloat or request list Toady has... I distinctly remember a "Hang skins of defeated adventurers /monsters on the fortress walls"

Being able to change the type of floor material (omfg wood floors!) would definitely be a good improvement and alternate solution to engraving the floors; but the floor HAS to be smooth before the tiles can be laid... A classic Dungeon Keeper statement made by the narrator saying:
"Your dungeon floor is slanted! Angry creatures cannot play marbles."

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 01:02:00 am »

Furry rugs could also be used as beds, maybe?

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

It would be great if we could use tiles to cover the leftover dirt tiles left from shrubs growing in the fort. I've been annoyed at the fact that my dining room now has permanent dirt floors because it used to get flooded.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 03:12:00 am »

Dirt does eventually disappear, as does grass.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 11:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Leerok the Lacerta:
<STRONG>It would be great if we could use tiles to cover the leftover dirt tiles left from shrubs growing in the fort. I've been annoyed at the fact that my dining room now has permanent dirt floors because it used to get flooded.</STRONG>

Try to get the areas that are flood prone smoothed as soon as you can, preferably before water ever touches them. This seems to make the tiles invulnerable to shrubs/tower caps as well as actually turning to dirt.