Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: [Community] Niltosed - La Belle Époque  (Read 19691 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Niltosed - La Belle Époque
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2009, 02:18:10 am »

There'd still be a hammer in there. Somewhere.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2009, 10:09:57 am »

Rather than the web diagram like last time, here is a wonderful spreadsheet with all the current relationships. ^^ The numbers in the brackets are how many friends that dorf has overall, including the ones listed.

While it makes sense that Fortis, Tlo and Caiman, who tend to work nonstop, haven't made any friends yet, it was quite surprising to see that Kel, who's been in the army for a coupla months now, still has yet to make friends with any soldiers, considering how soldiers make friends faster than cats make kittens.
Urist McChampion cancels Spar: Too insane.

Niltosed - La Belle Époque

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2009, 11:29:38 am »

Lawec has 10 friends  :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2009, 01:57:20 pm »

Wonder how he lost the election then o.O must've only had 8 before. Well we know who the next mayor's gonna be ^^
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2009, 02:15:22 pm »

The "unnamed" mayor must have more friends.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:16 pm »

21st Limestone 264

"A grand banquet hall!" Ilral announced. She was standing on the platform that had been constructed above the courtyard. The assembled population murmured amongst themselves as the Midor announced this.

"For too long we have been cramped inside that dingy, 16-seat dining room! There are now 172 of us, with Captain Jurvana's newborn son and the recent migrants. Therefore the Ossek have decided that for the good of all, we shall create a feasting hall that shall put that of the capital's to shame!"

There was an avalanche of agreement at this, almost every Dwarf had complained at one point or another at the scarcity of dining chairs, with most being forced to eat outside; as such, a larger dining room sat well with them, especially since it wasn't some self-serving idea that only the nobility would enjoy.

The plans were soon drawn up, that banquet hall would occupy the space between the food stockpile and the magma forges, while the old dining room would be converted - at Kogan's request - into a lecture hall where philosophically-inclined Dwarves could debate about their schools of thought, or authors display their poems and novels. Caiman and his team was quickly given orders to prepare golden doors and a golden seat for the Midor, on top of the continued glassmaking for the Coliseum walls, as well as platinum statues of all the gods worshipped by the inhabitants of Niltosed, especially a gem-encrusted one of Ikud, whom most of the nobility worshipped. Rice and his team, including the newcomer, Karajan,

were ordered to not only smooth, but also engrave the walls of the banquet hall with scenes from Niltosed and Dibeshsolon's history. To the masons, orders of tables and thrones were given, while the miners were given the most important job, that of actually carving the room out. Moments later, Ilral announced a second decree from the Ossek, the creation of a prison camp on the site of the original trade depot, where Goblins could be kept until the arena was finished. Seconds later, the Dwarven caravan arrived, loaded with precious gems, steel plate armour and barrels of booze.

--------------------

8th Timber 264

"And left and right! And left and right, and stab!" Kib, leader of the Squids of Winding chanted, leading the squad in their daily exercises. Around her, groups of soldiers sparred, while marksdwarves practised on the archery range.

"And step and lunge! And step and lunge, and dodge!" the soldiers followed her orders to the letter, well-used to the training regime by now,

"And jump and - DERMONSTER!" this sudden shout threw the entire squad off-balance, causing some to - in their surprise - fall, and knock others down as their attempted to stop their fall. Kib, brow furrowed and beard flaring, marched off out of the courtyard, towards the wall,

"Dermonster! What do you think you're doing?" she demanded. Dermonster, hanging several feet in the air over the moat, and holding only onto his spear which he had somehow manage to get stuck into the wall, attempted to shrug,

"Training?" he replied. The squad-leader's nostrils now joined her beard in their flaring,

"Training? Training what?"

"My...abseiling skills."

"Dermonster, you realize that if you let go you'll drop into the moat and probably drown?"

The speardwarf's eyes widened,

"Wha? It's a CONSPIRACY!" he cried, "I'm being conspired against! I'm the victim! The water's out to get me! Peanuts!" he began climbing up onto the spear, slowly slotting it out of the hole it had made. Alarmed, Kib called for him to stop, but Dermonster ignored her, continuing until he had two feet firmly planted against the wall and his gauntleted hands firmly grasped onto the spear. Then, with a heave, he pushed himself off the wall, pulling the spear with him and landing agilely on the grass, a foot away from the moat. Mouth open with surprise, Kib stood there, silenced for the moment. Dermonster gave his spear a quick polish,

"I'm hungry." he said simply, leaving.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2009, 05:14:35 pm »

I CLAP IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »

Interesting... grand dining hall? I wonder if we could make some screw pumps and get water to be pumped in >:3

OH! also, just a word of warning if you DO do that, for every 1 space of in flow to a region that is water fall based, you need 3 outflow.

For example. if the well is lower down than the source of the water. You need to have a 3 space wide tunnel under the well itself with 3 spaces allowing water to leave :3 otherwise you end up with some VERY nasty situations of the "Mud all over the floors" kind ^_^

alternatively. Make the hall a little bigger and put some mist machines around the place :D

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2009, 03:44:15 pm »

Lawecs journal

It seems the new nobles decided to do something useful... I'm beginning to fear that I have started something wrong...
Time will show.
Another thing is, I need to improve my crossbow somehow. Hetros might be able to help me.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2009, 05:54:59 pm »

Journal of Caiman, Metalsmith

I made the statue of Domas extra-shiny and put it someplace where everyone could see.

Hopefully, the nobles don't come up with the daft idea of golden weapons for our elite soldiers.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2009, 01:29:52 am »

Hetros' Journal.

Lawec came too me today asking about improving his cross bow... I'm not sure how, but I drew up some designs and asked him to bring them to the Bowyer. It'll take some iron to make of course, but this new bow works on clockwork, not just some pathetic little taunt string. Of course, he might dislocate his arm cocking it if he isn't careful... but I believe that is a relatively small price to pay for being able to send a bone bolt through plate steel... I wonder if he'll agree?

No information on who discovered my traps so far. Ah well. I have a duty to preform to keep the fortress safe and secure, and that means assisting my fellow dwarves in the designing of the grand hall. I will have to put aside the chance of someone ratting me out until later.

((Do we have a legendary Bowyer or smith around? >_> if you want to simulate this then we need an Iron crossbow of mastercraft level ^_^ or something of sufficently high power =3 quality effects bow damage, not material, but this is for the style of the thing ^_^))

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »

1st Moonstone 264

"Well?" Hetros asked, exasperated. Kogan looked round from his table where his latest thesis sat,

"Well what?"

"You've had almost three months now. Do you know who freed the Elves?"

"Haven't you been investigating?" Kogan asked, scratching a word out,

"I've been working on the new dining hall, Ilral wanted it to be modern and daring; and that's not mentioning the continuing work on the arena."

Kogan sighed, putting his quill down,

"Well, I've looked at some possible people but they all turned out to be dead ends."

"So you've made no progress?" Hetros exclaimed. It was the mechanic's turn to sigh as he turned round to leave the lab, "Just - just keep looking, or you won't get your bodies, since the pansy-loving lunatic will still be at large."

--------------------

1st Opal 264

"Ah, Karajan was it?" Kogan said pleasantly, striding across the still unfinished dining room towards the engraver. Karajan abandoned his engraving, one of a masterfully-designed purring maggot, and turned round,

"Yes?" he asked, slightly annoyed at having to stop mid-engraving.

"Now, we'll be needing the new lecture hall to be engraved, preferably with abstract themes such as stars, or squares, but also with an occasional battle scene for when debating the possibility of a world without war, or of heroes without fights."

Karajan exhaled sharply,

"We can't engrave everything at once!" he complained, "We've still got the entire dining hall to finish, and then Hetros has contracted us to engrave the arena, and then the Count wants the entrance hall engraved and then-"

Kogan interrupted him,

"What is the worker without work? Is he still a worker, or has he devolved to something lesser?"

"What?"

"Don't complain, you're being paid." Kogan added simply, stalking off with a wave of his cloak.

As the philosopher approached the main stairwell Fortis accosted him, pulling him off into the empty wood stockpile,

"Have you been keeping on eye on Hetros?" he whispered conspiratorially. Kogan frowned,

"As best I can, there's really not much to say. He admits he hates Elves, he boasts about it often during dinner. But he hasn't shown any signs of preparing some nefarious plan against them. All talk and no action, you could say."

Fortis gave a thoughtful look,

"Hmm, I'm still not convinced it's not him. But at any rate, we need to find who is behind these killings and stop them before the next caravan."

Kogan gave a thin smile,

"I'll do all I can."

--------------------

16th Obsidian 264

"When are we trapping the Hammerer!?" Tlo exclaimed angrily, thumping a fist onto the granite table. Lawec sighed, he and the few members of the resistance were in their new hideaway, dug out by Fortis in an apparently unused service tunnel and masterfully hidden behind a fake wall behind a lever.

"Soon, soon. We can't pull the lever too soon, or we'll waste our chance." the hunter replied exhaustedly. Alath, wringing her hands nervously, spoke up now,

"B-but the nobles are getting worse. The Countess Consort's imprisoned a glassmaker for over 150 days for not making her green glass, despite that fact that all the sand in the fort belongs to Hetros and needs to be used for the coliseum. The-they might move onto hammerings next."

Fortis spoke up now,

"And if we act too late,t hen the nobles will have complete control of the fort." he said to murmurs of agreement. Lawec sighed,

"But if we act before we're ready, then all we'll do is trap Tulon for a few days, and then have the entire Guard on our backs looking for us. Better we wait to really strike at them than act now and get ourselves killed. The point of the matter is that the nobles have got both their Guard and the military. Military support is what we'll need if we want to really overthrow them. Without the army's support, we'll just be crushed and forgotten."

The current layout of Niltosed as of 16th Obsidian 264.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2009, 02:21:37 pm »

Can't wait too see how this pans out :3 also realized we coulda just locked the doors >.> but then if he tantrumed he might have broken down the door... so no good there.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2009, 02:15:11 pm »

11th Granite 265

Stubborn as they were nature-loving, the Elves returned once more to Niltosed. Loaded only with cheap rope reed cloth and 5 prickle berry seeds, they strode into the depot, noses high and proud. Inside the fortress, brow furrowed in anger, Hetros strode towards the small closet which housed the depot drawbridge control. He was already annoyed by various matters, the coliseum work had slowed down as there were no more gems for the outer windows, and the glassworks had slowed down because one of the metalsmith, a Sakzul or something, had been beaten to death for not making lead items for the Tax Collector. Not only that, but work on the machinery in the banquet hall had been annihilated when a gear assembly had been stupidly deconstructed, making the entire system of axles collapse. And on top of it all, he still hadn't discovered who had freed the Elves from his trap.

But this time he'd trap the Elves, and confront the mysterious Dwarf when they went to free them. He was stopped by a large shadow. Fortis stood between him and lever, his face serious. Hetros put on a pleasant smile,

"Fortis? What do you want?" he asked smoothly. Fortis gave the mechanic a smile back,

"Just wondering where you were going in such a hurry."

"I'm checking up on all the levers, we don't want any of them to break at a critical moment."

"It might not be a good idea to mess with the levers while the Elven traders are moving into the depot."

Hetros' smile dropped several teeth,

"All the while-"

"All the while, mechanic, it might be best to wait till they've left. If any of them are killed, problems for you could arise. I've heard several more crimes have been given a penalty of hammering."

Hetros' smile faded totally, as did Fortis'.

"Very well." the scientist said, spinning on his heel angrily. As the two left, both had little doubt who probably now responsible for their respective problems.

-----

Along with the Elven caravan came Rifafa Yonalielale, still smarting from her last meeting with the Count Urdim. Putting on a polite smile, she sat herself down in a oak chair,

"Now, noble Dwarf. We Elves of Thiliri Lidava have decided to give you a second chance. We ask you to - at great cost to us - to keep your tree fells at 100 max." she said matter-of-factly. The Count sighed,

"The door's behind you, Ripapa. I've no time for common jokes." he said, much subdued. He had had little sleep as his wife, the Countess Consort Thikut had given birth to a 3rd girl several months before, and the girl now kept him up at night, furthermore, he had formed a grudge with Udib Kesnil the Perfect Punches, a soldier.

The Elven diplomat left without a word, almost the same outcome as her first visit; the massacre of trees would continue.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:18:09 pm by Tezcatli »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2009, 12:17:02 am »

Journal of Hetros
DAMN! A SYMPATHISER! Well we'll see about -him-. I'll talk to Iral and maybe the Count if he'll allow me an audience. Simple enough to spread rumors about him, say that he's been arguing that we SHOULD bend knee to those elves and stop cutting down trees. Spread a few rumors about "Did you here? Fortis thinks we should listen too those elves, is he mad?" not too the farmers of course... I can't risk messing with them until he's been sufficiently slandered. At the very least I can get him out from under my feet. Discredit him, get him watched by BOTH sides. In the mean time, I'll get the philosopher to pull the switch while Fortis is busy trying to go after me. He wants those body's? they're his. I'll show him how and warn him about Fortis. He's a noble, if worse comes to worse, he can have Fortis banged up in the prison if he tries to mess with him. I dislike using such methods, but it's NECESSARY. I will not suffer elven scum to walk in our fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14