Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: [Community] Niltosed - La Belle Époque  (Read 19699 times)

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Niltosed - The Noble's Exile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 05:53:48 pm »

Diary of Rice Muthkatorrun - 4th Felsite 256

The bedrooms are finished. I have to admit, it's nice to finally rest in a good bed once again, even if Jurvana's carpentry skills are somewhat lacking. They're quite small, and the noise from the workshops make it difficult to sleep well, but it'll do. As I write this I think about my companions, Ilral seems to take herself for some great leader and Jurvana is...bossy and pretty much sucks up to her. Lawec is friendly and merry, always a pleasure to talk to. Haspen is perpetually grim and Hetros I swear has something against Elves form what he says. Sava's alright, good to have a chat with, a hard worker.

Work has been tiring as usual. Today we finished digging out another chamber to serve as food stockpile to get the booze and chow into the caves.

10th Felsite 256

Ilral saw a rat in the food stockpile, she immediately demanded doors be made for every single room to keep the things trapped. When I told her this would trap the rat in the food stockpile, she told me to leave the thinking to her. Jurvana took to Ilral's idea fanatically, keeping me trapped in the mason's workshop carving doors out of microcline. Between the two of them we've got Dwarves as bad as a baron and his consort.

18th Felsite 256

I'm starting to worry Ilral might think herself a noble. She's demanded an office for herself as manager and bookkeeper. She's also demanded to have one made for Sava, as our chosen broker. Fire imps have been spotted actually leaving their lava and moving a bit on the rocky ground surrounding the magma. This bodes watching.

24th Felsite 256

While hunting Lawec was again chased by a fire imp. Ilral has banned him from hunting. He's appealed against it but Ilral is the expedition leader, so there was little he could do. I've been trying to convince Ilral to smooth the tunnels in an effort to help speed efficiency up. She's told me this was 'a waste of important resources' and promptly ordered us to begin carving out a dining room.

Yeah, little's happening at the moment, give it time. ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:27:11 pm by Tezcatli »
Urist McChampion cancels Spar: Too insane.

Niltosed - La Belle Époque

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 10:16:34 am »

I'm glad you restarted  ;D
A not-so glorious death for my dwarf :)
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:36 am »

Yay! I'm the only non bossy dorf!

Could you check my relationships profile for me? i want to see what gods i have, and how many friends/grudges there are.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 12:13:57 pm »

You know, something I've always wanted to do with one of these community fortresses, is to have my dorf be an elf. It would be interesting to write a log of an elf living among dwarves. (the actual dorf in the game doesn't have to be a literal elf, just change the profession to 'elf') Said elf/dorf would be a herbalist and/or farmer. Plus, it will make an interesting story with Hetros' hatred of elves.

Let me know if this is okay.

Failing that, I'll just take a regular farmer/herbalist dorf. I'll wait on the name until I know the gender of the immigrant or peasent, and if this elf thing is okay.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 12:43:16 pm »

Fortis - Sounds like an interesting venture to me, your elf guy would probably need some kind of disguise (a fake beard?) and some excuse for their height since from what Shadowclasper says Hetros will attempt to kill any elves he sees.

And here are all the relationships and gods. Sava, you've got a grudge against Hetros. Maybe you like elves? ;)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 12:58:50 pm »

Hetros would. Short of picking up an ax and embedding it in the elf's head. But things like, putting a hatch down into magma under your bed, and opening it while you sleep. That's his style. (be VERY careful, if we get any spare picks then he MIGHT just begin excavating such a trap under the trade depot and hook up the lever in his room, but that's only in extreme cases where he's getting desperate/can't get any of the miners to help him out). I'm still trying to figure out why he'd do such a thing. But I'm thinking something along the lines of "Elves ate my cat, mr. fuzzlebutt, back in the mountain home" since the great elf king took the best reason "Elves ate my family!?! D:"

Also, can we get maps and images of the fort =3
--------------------------------------------------------------
Exerp from Hetros' Super secret journal, apparently locked with an incredibly complex lock, but actually the clasp on the back just comes undone with the flip of a switch, the switch is not obvious and too difficult to flip to have it open accidently. The front is embossed with the symbol for the mechanics guild.

Sigh, magma, right there... and the damn beasties are keeping us away. Ah well. I'm going to suggest that Ilral let me put out some traps in the entrance hall. Stone fall and Cage traps, just in case any of those things decide to wander over THIS way. In the mean time, I'm going to try and figure out how to trap the tables so that they always spill that elf-sympathizer Sava's booze onto the floor when she sits at 'em. The trick is making sure no one else is effected by it... specially not me Rice and Ilral. Ah well. Best stop writing and get back to making mechanisms and helping Rice with those doors, thrones, and tables.

((It is okay to make our own stuff right? provided we don't say they're doing anything they're not / doing things they're not and can actually be represented in game terms :3))
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:21:19 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 01:15:11 pm »

Well if Hetros won't directly attack an elf, then that would provide lots of interesting stories about his attempts to kill the elf-dwarf and the foiling of these.  ;D Also, there's a nearby dwarf civ with an elven king and just general elf everything if you need some elves to eat Hetros' cat or something.

I'll get images of the fort up with the next update. ;) And feel free to write your own diary entries, if they conflict too much I'll step in.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:18:00 pm by Tezcatli »

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 02:23:40 pm »

Oh awsome, i have a Grudge!

It's cause Hetros' pet cat killed my pet rat, Mr.fuzzywhiskers.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »

Diary of Ilral Arakrovod - 14th Galena 256

What a few months it's been! Both mine and Sava's offices have been finished and furnished. We finished the dining room, fitting it with Rice and Hetros' tables and thrones. Niltosed is starting to come together. Following my ban on hunting as long as the magma menace threatens, I've had Lawec complain of boredom, (something to do with 'excitement' and 'exploration') and Haspen has been complaining (when doesn't he, ha!) that we're not actually making any booze or getting any food. In hopes of combating this, admittedly fair, comment, I had a large chamber dug out in the silty part of the fortress to serve as a farm. Rice, who has taken a decisive interest in commenting on many of my decisions, then pointed out that we don't have anyone who actually knows how to grow plants. The farm has been left untouched for now.

16th Galena 256

Vermin! Vermin everywhere! Rats, roaches and lizards have invaded our food stockpiles! I've ordered Lawec, who has some knowledge of trapping, to prepare some animal traps to get rid of them. I can only hope we get those traps up before the rodents eat all our stores.

20th Galena 256

The traps aren't working. I've ordered them removed and put outside. Hetros approached me today with the intent of putting traps in the entrance hall, in case any of the fire imps or magma men attempt a full-scale invasion. I've agreed, giving him full rein to devise a cunning trap system, but at any sign of danger to ourselves, he's to abandon the project.

24th Galena 256

I have named Jurvana, who has been a constant boon in our struggle to built Niltosed and has always been ready to help me at any time, my second-in-command. Some of the others grumbled at this, which surprises me, Jurvana is the logical choice for my aide, she is helpful and always ready to obey orders. Hetros, in between drawing up plans for our new trap system, has been fiddling around with the tables in the dining room. When I asked him what he was doing, he gave me some excuse about 'checking the hinges' or something. I'm pretty sure rock tables don't have hinges...

--------------------

4th Limestone 256

"Dwarves!" Sava cried, bursting into Ilral's office where she was busy updating the fortress stockpile records. Ilral's face lit up,

"Migrants?" she asked excitedly. Sava shook his head,

"Traders!"

"Almost as good!" the expedition leader leapt up...and then remembered that they didn't actually have anything worthwhile to trade. She clapped a hand onto Sava's shoulder,

"Sava, I need you to put your stonecrafting skills to use. We need crafts, idols, anything we can sell!" Sava nodded, spinning on his heel and rushing towards the workshops, chisel already in hand.

-----

Traders Urdim Menglensham and Domas Lilareshtan led their bactrians along, a marksdwarf and axedwarf following them. They had been returning from a trading mission in one of the far towns of Nibeshsolon, and were returning to the Mountainhome when they met a woodcutter hacking at some trees. A short conversation revealed that she belonged to the famed expedition that the exiled advisor to the King had led. Intent on learning the location of this new mountain outpost and seeing if there was anything worth trading, they had insisted on being led to Niltosed. The fortress itself wasn't too impressive, but they rarely were in the beginning. There was no trade depot, so the woodcutter, Jurvana, had knocked up a simply shelter of wood in front of the entrance.

Soon after, a Dwarf, bubbling with excitement, had erupted from the simple microcline doors that led into the fortress,

"Welcome! Welcome!" Ilral exclaimed, "It's wonderful to see fellow Dwarves from the Mountainhome!" Pleasantries were exchanged, while around them the rest of the expedition, Sava excluded, hauled the newly-crafted crafts and piled them under the make-shift depot. When a suitably large pile had been amassed, Ilral sent for Sava, who was the outpost broker, so that he could trade his handicrafts away.

As Sava negotiated with Urdim, who seemed to have a different perception on the value of things than the broker, Domas approached Ilral,

"Ma'am. Looking at these scepters, I can't help but notice that they're quite good quality, there's a shortage of scepters back home and you could make a killing next year. Would you allow us to add you to our route. We'll be able to bring wagons next year, so we'll have more goods." Ilral exclaimed her agreement with a multitude of nods and smiles. Domas clapped his hands, "Well then, to business. Is there anything you particularly want from the Mountainhomes?" Chatting like best friends, the two retreated to Ilral's office to discuss the trade agreements.

Not far from the depot, Jurvana felled another tree. She had been steadily cutting down the environing trees, as, according to Ilral, the fortress would need much wood in the future. As she prepared to haul the log back, she caught sight of a bush, moving. No, wait...not a bush, a kobold! A kobold spying on them, probably to report back to its cave about the possibility for thieving that lay in Niltosed. Hefting her axe, she sprinted towards it. The kobold saw her, and began to run away, but Jurvana was joined by the traders' axedwarf. The two chased the kobold, until Jurvana caught it, swinging her steel axe in a wide arc. The blade hit the greenskin's midriff, sending him flying. He landed and was still. She heard a guttural shriek. Spinning round, she spotted another kobold. Giving her axedwarf companion a cursory nod, the two launched themselves after it.

This kobold was quicker, fleeing for its life. Jurvana chased it right up to the magma pool, but the trader axedwarf was quicker. He flung himself at the kobold, his axe singing through the air. The axe connected and the kobold went flying over the magma, landing on the other side. Jurvana and the axedwarf turned to each other, shaking hands. Jurvana approached the kobold, stripping it of anything valuable before returning to the depot, where she dropped the thief's dagger and clothes. With the items from the kobolds, Sava negotiated the purchase of a barrel of rum, and a much-needed cat.

When the trade agreements had been made and there was no more to sell, the traders packed up, promising to return next year with wagons. Lined up, the expedition waved them off.

--------------------

Diary of Haspen Ukercatten - 23rd Limestone 256

We've survived another month, soon to be a year in three more months. I admit I'm surprised. Things have been boring after the traders left, Ilral has been doting on the new cat (which killed all the vermin in the stockpile - a good thing, I'll admit) but it isn't interested in her wishes. Soon after, the Ovus-cursed slave-driver decided we needed a real trade depot. I was press-ganged into mining, since Sava had decided it would be a good idea to buy another pick from the traders. I mean, how many picks do we need?

So we excavated a chamber besides the fortress, not connected to the actual fortress, and made it wide enough for wagons to pass through. Tiring work I'll tell you, give me engraving any day. So much obsidian near the magma pool, and yet we're forbidden from getting it... The depot was soon built afterwards, of microcline this time. Somehow, a blue depot is going to help us negotiate? I doubt it. The fortress is beginning to get cold as we edge towards winter. If we don't freeze or starve to death, we can celebrate the fact we've somehow managed to survive an entire year.

The current layout of Niltosed as of 1st Moonstone 256. The fortress is to the south.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:03:18 pm by Tezcatli »

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 03:35:28 pm »

I'm a he. >:(

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »

Ack! My fault, sorry. All corrected. ;)

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 05:15:35 pm »

Don't feel too embarased, i'm named after some random river (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sava), and it's kinda hard to determine sex from that.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »

You know, assigning somebody to farming will make the farm (albeit, very slowly), even if they have no training in it >_> so if somebody complains too much then you could just give them the task.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:21 am »

I’ll take the first peasant, herbalist, or farmer migrant that comes along. Name them Fortis if male, Fora if female. If it's a pesant, assign them to farming and herb gathering.

From the diary of Fortis (or Fori)

I’m not sure how I came to this. I’m not sure how I got here. I’m not sure where here even is. One moment, the goblins were rushing the forest, with our archers and druids repelling them. But they brought some strange sorcery with them, one of our beloved trees was engulfed in a gout of hungry and terrible flame, then another and another. One went off right next to me and I was sent hurtling though the air.

The next thing was waking up to see a hairy face staring down at me as I lay prone down on my back. It was one of the dwarfs, or so she though. I had never actually seen one, though she had heard of them. The elves always talked about their barbaric practices and their uncouth mannerisms. Yet this one was kind to me, and offered me water (Or maybe they just didn’t want to waste any of their ale on an elf, but I’d rather think it was kindness.) As my wits returned to me, I got up and began to speak to them. Unfortunately, the strange names they had for these places confused me, and I knew none of the landmarks around here.

As it was, I decided to follow them. They told me they were heading for a new settlement of theirs, a place where they could be free from an oppressive queen. At the moment I didn’t have anywhere better to go, as I didn’t know in what direction my forest lay. But at a settlement, even a dwarf one, elvish caravans were bound to stop. I could leave with one of them.

Anyway, it will be an unusual experience living among dwarves. But I can see if there’s any truth to their reputation. In the meanwhile, I’ve gone to lengths to make sure that I don’t stand out too much. Little can hide my height, but I’ve shaved my head to make a false beard from my hair, as I can’t grow hair their naturally.

Praise the spirits of the forest that no other elves can see me like this though. I’d never live down the shame.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 01:27:25 am »

As Fortis dons the false beard, a shiver would run down Hetros' spine, as if he had just felt a great disturbance in the dwarforce.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14