Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: [Community] Niltosed - La Belle Époque  (Read 19693 times)

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Community] Niltosed - La Belle Époque
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:52:18 pm »

4th Obsidian 255

Bembul Sibrekonul, King and Leader of Dibeshsolon 'The Crazy Flags' burst into his opulent throne room, rum still wet on his beard and his long cape billowing behind him. His chief advisor, Ilral stood by the throne, wringing her hands nervously as she awaited the inevitable outburst. When he arrived directly in front of her, King Bembul didn't shout, but spoke calmly, levelly, making it much, much worse,

"Ignored?" he asked simply. Ilral cleared her throat, opening her mouth to speak but Bembul cut her off, "Ignored!? What possessed you to ignore my mandate! I put you specially in charge Ilral! I trusted you! All I needed was an adamantine item. Any item would've done."

Still wringing her hands, Ilral summoned the courage to speak, "Well, it's just that...that..." she faltered for a moment under the King's harsh gaze, "Well, we just don't...have any adamantine."

The King threw his head back, laughing cruelly,

"No adamantine? No adamantine!" he stopped chuckling all of a sudden, glaring back down at her, "I don't care if there's no adamantine in the fortress. If I give an order, I expect it to be filled, or the culprit will pay the price."

Behind the noble, a large robed Dwarf, wearing a fierce mask moved up, holding a masterly-crafted steel hammer in gloved hands. The Hammerer. Ilral gave a sob, falling onto her knees. She drew in a raking breath,

"Oh please lord, please sire! I can't be blamed for the lack of the rarest metal in all of Nitharacamade!"

The silent Hammerer moved past the King of Dibeshsolon, raising the hammer above his head, ready to deliver the five hammer-strikes ordered by Bembul.

"Please!" Ilral shrieked, despairing for her life, "Have mercy lord!" she closed her eyes, waiting for the inevitable strike that would either cripple her or simply kill her, but it didn't come. Raising her eyes slowly, she saw Bembul, crouched down, staring her right in the eyes,

"Advisor Ilral. Know that you are henceforth exiled for refusing the orders of the King, and for such cowardly behaviour that our Hammerer actually hesitated to strike your filthy self down." he stood up, adjusting the golden crown studded with sapphires that stood on his head, "I sentence you to exile from the realms of Dibeshsolon, you have until the 10th of Obsidian to leave, or the hammer will fall."

--------------------

5th Obsidian 255

Ilral collapsed onto her granite chair, her mind in turmoil. She had finished putting all her affairs in order, ready for the departure from what had been her home for many a year. Her mind wandered over the familiar surroundings, the granite furniture, the tower-cap bed, the many various items she had bought on a whim and left, lying in her room. She would have to leave all of these things behind. The exile was her punishment for not fulfilling the King's mandate, while her punishment for 'cowardly behaviour' was to leave everything she owned behind.

Her eyes strayed over the various engravings that adorned the walls. As the King's advisor she had lived well-off, not noble enough to have an unlimited account but comfortable at any rate. One engraving in particular caught her eye. It was a masterfully designed image of Dwarves, travelling over hard landscape. If she remembered her history it related to the founding of the Mountainhome of Dibeshsolon right back in 1.

Then it struck her.

She would found her own Mountainhome.

She would find herself some Dwarves ready to escape Bembul's tyranny, to find a better home. There they would carve a new kingdom, where she would be Queen!

And then, one day, Bembul would be the one begging for the hammer to stop.

Census of Niltosed
Total Population - 184

Residents of note
Ilral - Manager, noble
Haspen - Engraver
Jurvana - Woodcutter/Axedwarf/Captain of the Guard
Lawec - Hunter/Marksdwarf/Resistance Leader
Rice - Miner/Engraver
Hetros - Mechanic/Mason
Sava - Miner/Broker/Stonecrafter/Mayor
Fortis - Farmer/Herbalist/Elf/Resistance
Caiman - Blacksmith/Armorer/Weaponsmith
Kel Ragebrew - Woodcutter/Herbalist/Brewer/Axedwarf
Tlo - Weaponsmith/Resistance
Karajan - Engraver

Roll up! Roll up! If you want a Dwarf, don't hesitate to ask for one, with the name, profession and gender of the Dwarf, along with anything else you want to include.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:57:11 pm by Tezcatli »
Urist McChampion cancels Spar: Too insane.

Niltosed - La Belle Époque

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Niltosed - The Noble's Exile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:04:21 pm »

Haspen, male.

A dark-mooded, always unhappy engraver, who loves to engrave on obsidian, basalt and similar extrusive stuff. Also likes to meddle with masonry or architecture.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:12:40 pm »

Jurvana
Female
Woodcutter also training as an axedwarf. She likes to order other people around except when Ilral is around, then she tries to suck up to her.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:14:49 pm »

Lawec, male, hunter/marksdwarf/ambusher

A dwarf skilled in the arts of survival, longing for a challenge, he joined the expedition.
He prefers the companion of dogs. A merry dwarf. The only bad thing about him is his obsession of Hoary Marmots.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »

Rice, male, Miner/Engraver.
Loves moving from fortress to fortress mining and stuff.  Also likes smoothed hallways. Will constantly complain about the lack of smooth mining tunnels and wants everything to be smoothed over and engraved.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:07:37 pm »

Hetros, Male, Mechanic/Mason
Totally insane inventor. Is obsessed with finding new and inventive ways (using everything from stones to magma, to water, to wood, to bears, to olms, to anything else you can name) of killing invaders. He thinks military lacks finess, though certainly has a place, but that a fortress shouldn't need anything more than a tower with some marksdwarves and some siege operators for taking down threats camping outside the fortress walls.

Really really really hates elves. Seriously, keep him away from all levers when elves are about, he will do his best short actually attacking them to kill them.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:37:27 pm »

You've all in guys, one more and the Fun can start (eventually).

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:17:36 pm »

all I ask is for character, that my guy will attempt to build and activate any deadly traps on elves that pass through unless he's locked in his room when it happens =3 if he never sees the elves, he won't know about it and won't do anything (but if he's say, hauling trade goods to the elf occupied trade center... >:3) if that's too much to ask then I don't really care :D

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:06:28 pm »

Sava,
Proficient Miner/Novice Judge of intent/Novice Appraiser/Competent (anything you like).

As soon as i see some of his actions in game, and you name his last skill, i'l write his background
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:48:59 pm »

You're in Sava, how about a stonecrafter? We could use one of those.

Shadowclasper - Don't worry, I'll have to have him restrained for the first few years until we're strong enough to face elves, but I promise he'll try at least. ;D

The expedition is ready! I'll get the first part up in an hour or so, stay tuned.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »

Diary of Ilral Arakrovod - 9th Obsidian 255

Well it's done. I've found 6 stalwart Dwarves who have volunteered their services in my grand work. The first, Haspen Ukercatten, I met in a newly dug-tunnel. He was engraving something into the rock. I instantly knew that he'd be a good choice to take with me. I spoke with him, he seemed somewhat grim, (a fact that doesn't surprise you when you realise he worships 'Ovus the Vulture of Apexes', god of deformity, disease, death, suicide and duty) but agreed to come with me on my expedition.

Further on I met Rice Muthkatorrun, he was arguing with the overseer over how smoothing tunnels would help the Dwarves move quickly from the quarries and back. A quick talk with him revealed he was also an engraver, and a miner. Miners will be vital to the survival of my Mountainhome, and he seemed quite happy to join.

Jurvana Othillokum I met outside, she was training herself with an axe. When I spoke to her about my project, she seemed all too happy to join us, ready to lend her woodcutter and axedwarf skills to aid us.

At that point Lawec Abankizest came past us, whistling merrily as he bought his daily kill in. The hunter was quite happy to join us, and, to be honest, happy all around. A good merry Dwarf, good for morale.

Returning into Nibeshsolon I met another miner and learning tradesdwarf, Sava Kekimkadol. A quick chat and he agreed to come with me.

The last Dwarf of my expedition I met while he was connecting several gears together. Hetros Okircog, mechanic and mason. When I told him my plan he immediately volunteered his services.

The grand departure is all set for tomorrow. Using the money I have left I've bought us a wagon, some picks, some cheap plump helmet and turtle, and enough booze to drown a skeletal whale. Lawec is also bringing his crossbow and hunting dog with him, and Jurvana is bringing an axe. Hopefully between the seven of us we'll have all we need to begin the carving of our new home.

10th Obsidian 255

We've left.

--------------------

1st Granite 256

The sun was just beginning to peek above the rocks as Ilral and her expedition trudged on. They had been travelling for almost twenty days. To the south of of them mountains rose in their usual splendour, while a river crossed the landscape to their west. Abundant vegetation surrounded them, and to the north, the tell-tale rise of steam denoted a possible magma pit. Ilral put a hand up to stop them,

"Here!" she exclaimed with excitement, "Here is where we'll build our new home!" She waved arms her arms around her. The surrounding Dwarves all nodded, it seemed a good place to build. Magma, water and mountains, all they would need. Ilral put a foot onto a boulder in what she hoped was a heroic gesture,

"I name this place...Niltosed, 'Hammerstopped'! In memory of the hammer that spared me so that I could lead us to glory!"

Lawec, stroking his beard, piped up,

"Aye, Niltosed I'll go with. But what'll our group's name be?" Everyone nodded at this, calling out suggestions for the group name,

"The Paddles of Anguish!"

"Thunderangel!"

"The Ages of Medicine!"

Hetros overruled them all, calling out,

"The Artificial Tree!" There was a large consensus of nods, so it was chosen. They would be The Artificial Tree, founders of Hammerstopped, one day to be the greatest Mountainhome within the nation of Dibeshsolon.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 02:26:13 pm »

And so we start!
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »

I like my character so far  ;D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 04:38:55 pm »

I freaking love my guy. Especially the hydras part. We ever get attacked by a hydra he'll try to capture it and keep it as a pet =3 that or atleast get it's bones put in his room or something :P (or something ^^)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:42:52 pm by shadowclasper »

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 05:06:47 pm »

Diary of Jurvana Othillokum - 9th Slate 256

Ilral has been slaving us like dogs. Barely arrived, she ordered the wagon de-constructed, Lawec to hunt more food, and the immediate starting of mining. I wasn't spared, she had me start cutting down trees by the dozens. Anyone not a mining was ordered to take a pick and strike the earth, Ilral herself took one. The digging plan was simply, a tunnel leading to a chamber where it branched off into workshops and bedrooms. Apparently our rooms are only going to be just about large enough to put a bed in.

To make things worse, while we all toiled away Haspen sat by the remains of the wagon, swigging beer and doing nothing. When I confronted he said he couldn't anything as there was no picks left for him. I told him to get off his behind and lug the wood I was cutting down into a stockpile by the entrance. He glared at me and I at him until he huffed and stalked off. To make matters worse it began to rain. Thankfully, the mining was soon finished and we took shelter inside...just as the weather cleared. Inside our microcline refuge Ilral set us to work again, this time hauling the stones into a pile in the corner while Rice built a mason workshop and I a carpenter's station. When I told her I had never learnt carpentry she gave me a strange look and said 'learn'. As I finish writing this entry I've just been told to make us some beds. Well...I'll try at any rate.

--------------------

13th Slate 256

The rain was starting up again as Lawec burst into the excavated tunnels,

"Fire imps! Magma men!" he cried, his forehead glazed with sweat. Ilral frowned,

"What?" she asked confusedly, dropping the boulder she was hauling down onto the floor. Lawec pointed out the tunnel,

"As I was huntin' I looked at the magma pool to the north. It's infested with fire imps and magma men. One saw me and came after me.  Obviously I legged it." Pausing from her bed-making, Jurvana moved over, Rice followed her, having finished setting up the mason's workshop. Ilral sighed deeply,

"Ikud's beard! Well, everyone stay away from that magma pool." Rice interjected at this,

"Maybe we should kill the imps rather than simply let them breed?" he said. Jurvana shook her head,

"No, Ilral's right, keep everyone away, no chance of death." Ilral nodded,

"Exactly." she said simply. Hetros, wandering over to see what the conversation was about, spoke up,

"Maybe we could wall them in?" he suggested. Rice took to this idea, adding,

"Or floor the magma pool, we could still use the magma but there's less chance that the imps and magma men will get us." Ilral crossed her arms,

"The matter is closed. Everyone will stay away from that pool until further notice." she said emphatically, stalking away.

I actually had to restart this chapter, Lawec was knocked unconscious by a horse and then died from suffocation. :'(. Too soon for anyone to die, I had to restart.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:54:12 pm by Tezcatli »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14