Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Elves bring only cloth  (Read 2727 times)

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves bring only cloth
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 01:09:28 am »

I can essentially wipe out the "If you have lots of Rope Reed Cloth, they won't bring you quite so much." theory.

I had over seventy bins full of rope reed cloth and still received mounds-of-cloth. For a long damn time. The resulting overflowing clothes stockpiles likewise didn't prevent the elves from attempting to export even more rope reed cloth.

Thinking over the past decade of attempting to coax seeds or animals out of the elves....
I think my dwarves just became genocidal for some reason. /facepalm/

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 02:21:45 am »

I remember in my very first fort with 40d, the elves sent a trade liaison. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 02:24:24 am »

Elves bring useless things as a subtle way of slapping dwarves in the face. They're saying "Oh hey, yeah, open those floodgates. You won't know that we only brought you wooden swords and boxes of thread until you've let in the goblin ambush, too".

This is why you should always have a magma hatch near your trade depot.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 06:10:15 am »

I remember in my very first fort with 40d, the elves sent a trade liaison. Has this happened to anyone else?

Usually the elven trade liaison dies or something during world generation, and thus does not appear at the fortress, but it is possible though rare to get an elven liaison (I have not been so lucky). I also had this happen, for example, with dwarves modded as a neutral civ and my own modded race. Other times I actually do get liaisons from these entities.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 11:05:58 am »

Horton, you can check out what a caravan has before it arrives at the trade depot via the stocks menu. When you expand to the individual item view, things that aren't yours are red.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 11:35:42 am »

Alternatively, you can (v)iew their donkeys and mules and check their (i)nventory to see what they're hauling.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 12:57:23 pm »

Huh, I didn't know that. I learned something today!

I'm still going to drown the elves in magma though. Maybe I'll construct my next depot out of lignite...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 01:55:53 pm »

Maybe I'll construct my next depot out of lignite...

That might be unwise, as it'll take the better part of a year for it to burn out, during which you'll have to do all of your trading elsewhere (unless you also want to incinerate the human and dwarven caravans).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »

Maybe I'll construct my next depot out of lignite...

That might be unwise, as it'll take the better part of a year for it to burn out, during which you'll have to do all of your trading elsewhere (unless you also want to incinerate the human and dwarven caravans).
That's even better. Let it stand as warning to those filthy elves.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 11:25:17 pm »

Have multiple depots, and use "t" to find the construction materials of the lignite depot and forbid them, which should forbid the use of the depot itself - though I don't know if merchants respect that distinction like your dwarves do. You can then redirect the traders to their appropriate deathtrap trading location.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 11:10:57 am »

I kinda replayed a map today.

Got my elves in year 2, and what do they bring me? 20 wood. Yup, that's all. Argh!

My first game on that map, they brought very nice stuff though. Any idea why this happened?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 12:18:07 pm »

If you don't have many wood logs in your stockpiles, caravans (any civilization) will bring some to help you out. If you don't have any at all, they'll bring lots and lots of it. Unfortunately, since the Elves don't bring wagons, they end up loading their donkeys and mules entirely with lumber, leaving no room for any other useful items.

Note that caravans only see wood logs immediately available for usage - ones used in machine axles don't count, and nor do ones that have been marked as (f)orbidden. Thus, if you want to increase your lumber stocks very quickly, just keep your entire wood stockpile forbidden when your carpenters and wood burners aren't busy.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 12:43:08 pm »

Quietust, that doesn't match my experience.

I haven't had a single cut log anywhere on my map for the entire spring season for at least ten years. The elven caravan has shown up like clockwork for each of those years. They haven't brought me a single piece of wood in that entire time.

I have wood products out the wazzu - beds, bins, barrels, catapult parts (for a noble), corkscrews, ash, potash, pearlash, and charcoal.

(In Summer/Autumn I'm cutting around 1500 logs, but I'm always down to 100 or so before Winter starts, and zero well before Spring starts.)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:26 pm »

If you don't have many wood logs in your stockpiles, caravans (any civilization) will bring some to help you out. If you don't have any at all, they'll bring lots and lots of it. Unfortunately, since the Elves don't bring wagons, they end up loading their donkeys and mules entirely with lumber, leaving no room for any other useful items.

Note that caravans only see wood logs immediately available for usage - ones used in machine axles don't count, and nor do ones that have been marked as (f)orbidden. Thus, if you want to increase your lumber stocks very quickly, just keep your entire wood stockpile forbidden when your carpenters and wood burners aren't busy.

That would explain why the dwarven caravan mysteriously brought almost exclusively tower cap after I turned all my wood into charcoal.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:55 am »

The only thing I've ever come to appreciate from the Elves is the occasional sunberry.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4