Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dynamic Fantasy RTD  (Read 6278 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Fantasy RTD
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »

So, become a drakeling! Or a were-dragon...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2009, 02:32:08 pm »

Damn you!

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2009, 03:25:25 pm »

Same problem as always, dragons and dragonkin are extremely powerful and intelligent creatures. You would not find a half-dragon travelling with a group of adventurers.

The closest match is Red Dragon Disciple from the Neverwinter Nights line of games, but this was also an immensely overpowered class due to the sheer number of bonuses and abilities it gains.

I'd like to steer away from demi-dragons/half-dragons/descended dragons entirely due to the nature of incorporating them into a game like I'm planning. They won't be fun for you to play because any "iconic" dragon abilities will fail in ANY dungeon environment. Shapeshift to a whelpling and your main attacks are dragon's breaths. I don't think anyone in melee range of an opponent would appreciate having to make numerous dodge rolls to avoid the opponent's abilities AND yours dragon breath abilities. Anything bigger than a whelp and you'll encounter size issues in labyrinthian tunnels meaning you'll be spending all your underground time in your humanoid form with the exception of major boss battles which will usually take place in cavernous areas where all abilities can be used that rely on large amounts of space.

It's not really in the spirit of the game to have the other 4 drag a relatively weak character through the "mundane" parts of dungeons and labyrinths (although most battles will be fairly well tuned) then have the epic boss battles spoiled by someone who's flying around searing everything with dragon breaths, resisting all magic attacks etc.

Trying to come to an effective compromise is - as always - difficult. Balancing your race choice with a set of basic starting abilities that will allow you and your group to act as a team, learn together and develop together as you make your way through my planned game world is extremely tough when you pick what would normally be predominantly NPC races or classes. Lycans, dragonkin and similar races have to have their power toned down immensely.

By standard convention a every time a Lycan feels pain they have to make a Will roll or transform. They then need to make an additional will roll or become feral until dawn. A race like that would work against teamwork and wouldn't be fun if you randomly lost control of your character every time you were attacked. So I slap on a massive negative modifier for your communications.

Shopkeepers and innkeepers would charge your group higher prices for being associated with a lycan (in order to discourage the adventuring group from staying around town too long). Villagers and townsfolk would be far, far more reluctant to assist the group and may lock themselves up in their houses for fear of a lycan.

That's why I wanted to take control of character generation. Looking in other RTDs you've got Enchanted Motorcycle Tickle-Mimics and Talking Pony Voodoo Princesses. You can't really forge a respectable story if the characters and classes within them aren't reasonably balanced or who don't hint of teamwork and that's what I am aiming on doing. This is going to be a long-term adventure afterall, there's plenty of room for individual development.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 12:28:48 am »

SO ITS CHOSEN! I SAHLL BE A MACHINIST

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:42 am »

It's not development if there's no time to develop the character, eh?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 07:49:40 am »

Name: Rattletrap
Race: Goblins

Preferred Class Base: magical ( For runes and so on)
Preferred Class Style: Ranged ( because im so weak at close fighting)
Preferred Class Flavour:creates his weapons,machines and so on , uses runes to bring some machines to life or upgrade them, likes to command other people, Knows very much about the world

Primary Preferred Stat: Str
Secondary Preferred Stat:Int
Primary Sacrificed Stat:Agi
Secondary Sacrificed Stat:Str

here is the machinist

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »

It seems our GM has taken a day off.

<uses the opportunity to sneak a mini-crossbow into his character sheet before putting it back where it was>

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 03:57:09 pm »

My sincerest apologies. My girlfriend was out working late (probably in bed with her Boss) so I took the opportunity to go out with my family for the evening, just got back in!

I've got the basic outlines of both remaining classes now and I just need to flesh them out.

Once again sorry for the delays! ^^

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 06:16:55 pm »

Jetlaw has a life!
*gasp*
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 06:49:51 pm »

Unfortunately so! :<

I don't get to see my mum and dad a lot since I moved to live with the cheating witch my girlfriend so occasionally I take them out for meals.

Got strong reason to believe Kay is sleeping around with her boss being offered large amounts of overtime where she works, so she's spending a lot of nights out and getting back late - Sometimes I just feel like treating my mum and dad plus I have a riot when we go out for meals.

Life's actually quite fun right now, gotta love it! ::)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 04:01:25 am »

As a preemptive measure against me missing the start of the game (providing it does start),

I search the dungeon entry for traps and propose all actions to be posted in bold.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 01:27:46 am »

Hm...

It seems we have been forgotten.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 01:31:54 am »

I'm not sure, but I think it's the new anti-record of RTD longevity. Among those games that got past concept stage, I don't think any managed to die before the GM could post the initial turn. So, yeah, lucky us.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 07:57:26 am »

Search for any rocks and runecreaft them!

hey could we got a startign skill? like a no-adjective [Insert skill name]
and or maybe some items?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 09:37:37 am »

Dude, the first turn isn't even done yet. No need for actions.

If this game dies in the womb I will be very mad. I might just punch a kitteh.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5