Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dynamic Fantasy RTD  (Read 6281 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Fantasy RTD
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 09:48:07 am »

lol

We need a ranger, jet, to help us travel overland. I thought you were going to fill in that spot? You and your pet are our best scouts.

Instead, we get a monster from World of Warcraft that looks overpowered. I'm pretty sure that your race doesn't even interact with sentient beings, except to kill them.

Really, are we supposed to call you "THE DARK TERROR" all the time? How about you put thought into a "real" name? That's a title you earn, not something that Lv. 1 new blood like us can be right off the bat.

Really! I'm not seeing how this is helpful to us at all. If your not being serious, there's other games to play. Don't try to mess up ours because you didn't roll what you specifically wanted. I didn't even comprehend that I would get a Geomancer, you know what, I'm rolling with it.   

I could go on and on.

In Advance, sorry for going off the rails.
If Jetlaw approves this, I'll live with it. But I maintain my stance that it is pretty dumb.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 09:53:36 am »

ok..... then lemme think up an other character

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:10 am »

I thought this up

-Dragon Ranger: He is basically a Kind of dragon tamer, which can tame/summon different kinds of dragons in varying sizes from small to gigantic. Of course he can’t ride the small ones because they are too small, he needs to ride medium ones. He can Imbue his attacks with dragon power For example: I shoot a arrow at a kobold normally it would strike him and he may be wounded or end dead BUT if I Imbue it with dragon power, the arrow will after it is shot will transform into a arrow with a small dragon head on the tip of it with a element. It would burn/freeze/electrify or whatever to the kobold. He could also transform into a dragon himself later. He would be also able to summon mounts for other people.

-Machinist: He will be able to make different kinds of things like flying cameras, of course there were no cameras then but the thing will be a rune which you can attach to the machine and see trough It or you could also take a eye and connect it to the machine but you will still need a rune to see trough the eye. Besides from that he would make different kinds of things that could assist people. The machines would be steam powered or magic powered. He will have a weakness and that will be Electricity, it could seriously harm him.

-Morpling: This thing could be interesting itself has no power at all but it can take any shape out of it surrounding, BUT ONLY THERE. So if you saw a golem back there you can’t take it shape because it isn’t in your surroundings This thing can easily disguise , scout with different animal forms, aid with different shapes of weapons and so on. This would be a handy team mate
Now choose one of those

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 10:29:45 am »

I'll start with breaking the fourth wall by taking out my character sheet (in-game) and replacing the "[//quote]" in the Sneak description with a "[/spoiler]" as it was originally intended.

You attempt to remove your character sheet ([6]) but find it is snagged on the character sheets of every other player. Not to be phased by this, you pull with all your might and retrieve your character sheet successfully. And the sheets of all your adventuring comrades, that then scatter into the air and gently sway backwards and forwards as they fall to the ground.

You attempt to sense the motive of the wise and powerful Game Master from when he created the character sheet ([5]+1) and divine inspiration hits you like a bolt of lightning. He did intend to use the almighty spoiler tags!

Suddenly the ground rumbles. The sky blackens. Your character sheet disintegrates into a cloud of dust which is sucked up (Inb4 "That's what she said") by a torrent of winds into the sky. You hear an arcane mumbling, not dissimilar to that of an incontinent old man who was just a touch too slow reaching the toilet, punctuated by a deafening crack of thunder.

Then as if nothing had happened the sky clears, the ground settles and your character sheet floats down to your feet.

Then I search the character sheet for traps.

(Of course I don't really do that. I mean, who would place traps in a character sheet?)

You search the character sheet for traps ([1]+1) but you find no traps... ([5]+1) You sense a malevolent presence nearby. Very near. Infact... Right behind you! Suddenly a gust of wind hits you... But it feels more like a pat on the back than a punch in the gut. As the breeze passes over, you could swear you heard it whispering, "Maybe this game will be fun afterall!"

As you collect the rest of the sheets you notice that one is missing...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:32:01 am by Jetlaw »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:22 am »

Dragon Ranger: Can control dragons (even ones that sentient?), turn into a dragon, and has every element at his command. Really?

Machinist: I'm not sure if this is plausible, but it might work. And while we need assistance, it would also be nice if you were not totally a crafting class. Otherwise why wouldn't we leave you in town?

Morphling: Eh, this could work if Jetlaw can balance it. For example, you wouldn't be able to increase or decrease your mass, and you wouldn't inherit the strength or stamina of whatever you copy. Just because you copy a tiger doesn't mean you have claws and teeth are sharp as one, or the skill to use them. Turning into a bird/fish/mole would be fun, but you have idea how to fly like a bird/swim like a fish/dig like a mole. You could copy a sword...but it would made of flesh.

And past your copying ability, you would be pretty helpless...it's complicated.

Ugh, I should leave all this up to you Jetlaw. It's beyond my skills.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48:06 am »

Dragon ranger can use ONLY the elements if he has the dragon for it like: YOu have a ice dragon Means you can control some of its ice powers and he would only be able to control Max 3 dragons Including himself while transformed

Machinist : the class wont be crafting entirely , sure he wil make some things in the start but after that he can be a great killer with his gun,Steam/Magic Powered mech, Bomber and so on

Morpling : He Himself is a watery magic mass , that can take Shape and its characteristics. like You take a shape of a sword and also become the material the sword is made off. BEcause a sword made of flesh would go horribly wrong

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 11:05:55 am »

Lol just ask Jetlaw to be a Demigod 2 handed swordsman/warlock/Godzilla.

You are trying to make your characters too powerful. Jetlaw will have to trim so much to make it fair you won't even recognize your character!

For example, your "dragon" ranger would be probably be limited to lizards and grass snakes to start. You would just be a normal ranger, with affinity for reptiles. Can you accept that?

You want a machine gun wielding mechanoids and bombers in a high fantasy game? What else is there to say?

Morphling, again-is extremely confusing, and of course you want no limitations. If Jet want's to take on all that confusion, all power to him.

I get the feeling you have no idea how to play this kind of game. Have you ever tried playing an real RPG before? I would really want to hear what Jetlaw thinks about this, because ultimately, its up to his vision of what the game should be.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:01 am »

did i ever say that they all get that from the start?
no ofcourse not
look all the classes wil be limited by the time they get better

For you question : YES i played enough real fantasy Rpg to know what to do

machinist he will be able to make some easy machines in the start or not even that.if i would say make a gun, he would make a slingshot because he doesnt know HOW to make a gun. he needs to see some blueprints or other guns first to get some sort of idea. but i never said machine guns, think off a tube and there is a rock in it the steam shoots it out of the tube. just like a gun

but morpling he would be also killable in his other form if you are a bear and you get stabbed in you heart You die the end
and the morph doesnt need to succeed always it can fail and turn me into a rat with 3 eyes and 1 leg.
and the dragon knight

i agree maybe he could control some lizards or something like that in the begin but as time goes he will be able to control more and powerfull reptiles and  eventually small dragons and so on

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 11:33:27 am »

Yikes, slow DOWN! You'll singe me fur off! Such heated arguments aren't going to end good.

Dwarmin, let the man take anything the GM will allow him. We don't need a ranger until we need to return to somewhere; By then, we'll either be dead or experienced enough to survive wandering the wilds until we find a settlement.

As for the choices, I might provide a moderate view.
Dragon Ranger: Providing you start with a single affinity and will require some high skills to get any other (not to mention living dragons), I don't see much of a problem. If you can summon bat-sized firebreathing dragon companions at the start, I will object only if they breathe their fire near me. :)

Machinist: If this is supposed to be high-fantasy, this is more or less right out. Machinery is usually associated with steampunk. If you're a sort of blacksmith/mechanic though, you can be very useful to the party. Weapon/armor repairs, custom forged items or compound longbows... yum.

Morphling: Seems to be something odd. If it can replicate an item in its surroundings (T-1000?), it can indeed be useful, but I don't know how far such things can be abused. Something like a doppelganger is already pretty confusing with some of the exploits.

I say go with dragon ranger.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:30 am »

we will wait fr the gm to say

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 12:24:46 pm »

As for ideas, I think I could work with Machanist. As mentioned the party will need a form of scout - I'll work out how best to fit it into the universe, but it's very likely you'll be using trap components from disarmed and dismantled traps to create machines and constructs (which will do nothing on their own and not exhaust you of any energy unless it's something BIG) - You'll then be able to weave magical runes, symbols and seals onto them which will "program" them with life.

You could create small mechanical creatures that can scout out rooms, suicide bots to trigger traps and more. You'd work well with the rogue - you're both mechanics and if you encountered sufficiently difficult traps, locked doors etc. you could both team up to handle them. You'd work well with the Geomancer, at a sufficiently high level you could exhaust an immense amount of energy to give a short-term sentient life to a rock golem of his creation. If the chanter works his magic on your components you could create a machine resistant to an element or with low-powered healing.

Finally the Machinist's weapon - Yes, they wield guns. No, they're not high powered rifles or machine guns that spray super-damaging bullets all over the place. They're just like the rest of the Machinist's creations: Constructed items that are imbued with runes and symbols of power. They work as "charged" weapons, the Mechanist uses his mental power to inscribe a rune or symbol of power upon his gun similar to how a wizard would cast a spell and when the power of these runs is expended the weapon becomes effectively useless.

Machinists will be extremely weak combat classes when directly confronted in combat. They're not physical combatants. They're not magic powerhouses. They're tinkerers. They make and design traps, they're the people who design the mechanisms that link to a drawbridge. They will become a different kind of caster entirely. A wizard will cast a fireball. A machinist first needs to find mechanical components. Usually from deconstructed traps. They must then spend a round or number of rounds using their mechanisms to construct their creation. They then carry these inanimate objects around until they need to use them, at which point they then spend a round inscribing runes and symbols imbued with power onto their creations. FINALLY they can use their creations.

But you can't use a wizard's fireball to scout, it won't neccessarily be effective at triggering traps, it can't be used as a sentry either.

We'll avoid the Steampunk "I wasn't aware boiled water could form alliegences" style of mechanists. They're more like artificers really, but artificers deal with creating magical items more than anything else. Still, if this is something we can all agree on (as I'm certainly not entering my final decision here) I'll get to finishing off the last two character sheets. Eventually!

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »

and what about the other 2?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 12:37:52 pm »

Okay. I didn't mean to create drama, but when I join games I know its a significant investment of time, so I tend to get defensive of them from perceived threats. I'm a strong believer in the "spirit of the game".

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »

Dragon Ranger seems a little overpowered as a class concept. Dragons are extremely intelligent creatures who are impossible to tame. They decide if they'll come with you as a companion or not. The whelplings you'll see in Dungeon and Dragons games are familiars bound to wizards, druids, rangers etc. but almost every other classification of dragon has an intelligence score high enough to make most Epic Wizards feel inadequate.

The Morphling is an interesting class concept but it really limits my design choices to having things that can't thoroughly be taken advantage of and that's a fairly big time sink.

Mechanist would fulfill a number of roles and would be very versatile as a support class. It depends if it's something you'd enjoy playing as. Your primary weapon attack would be with a weapon charged with runes and symbols which would be consumed as an "ammunition" - Essentially firing a magic missile. Your secondary attacks would be with your mechanical constructs. Immune to poisons and diseases, they don't need to breathe (so they can walk over the floor of the ocean) and could be imbued with runes of power.

You're not inclined to accept my vision of your class and I'm happy to keep going until we can come to something more acceptable.

And don't worry, drama is all part of the fun! I guess >.>

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2009, 02:26:25 pm »

ok i accept the overpowered thingy but
how about a dragon Knight!
he would be able to transform into a dragon
and have dragon breath both forms,flight dragon form,dragon scales ( Magic resitance) both forms,dragon eyes both forms, strenght of a dragon both forms and so on!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5