Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dynamic Fantasy RTD  (Read 6283 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic Fantasy RTD
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »

Oh, great, nobody took Cha. That's fine, we'll just be killing everything in our path, then.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »

Oh, great, nobody took Cha. That's fine, we'll just be killing everything in our path, then.

Actually, stealth is pretty much an option to everyone but me. I have to obliterate everything in my path.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 02:51:49 pm »

I specifically had stealth in mind. Being Khajiit helps in the darkness.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 03:26:46 pm »

At least one of us should have charisma as secondary I think, whoever wants to be the "team leader". Any volunteers?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »

1. I'm assuming close contact to earth is optimal, but will my magic suffer if I'm for instance, trying to cast from the stone floor of a castle or the wooden floor of a tavern, both of which are connected to the ground indirectly? What if I'm on the deck of a ship-could I reach the seafloor, or nearby coral beds with enough skill?

There needs to be a conduit of nature for your entire ability to be successful - Where electricity can only travel down an adequate conductor, geomancy is the same. If you're stood on a stone floor you are able to manipulate the stones and your magic mapping works by sensing where stones are in proximity to eachother, thereby creating a three-dimensional map in your head. This means you're able to detect traps embedded in rock, trapped wooden doors etc.

This means that if you're on a wooden ship you'll be able to manipulate the wood as a basic spell. As an intermediate spell you'd be able to use the natural wood as a conduit to the water and sense nearby underwater features in a manner similar to sonar. As an advanced spell you'd be able to use the wood AND water as a conduit but your power to manipulate the sea floor would be limited. As a legendary spell, you could manipulate the sea floor as if you were physically stood on it. As a godlike spell you could even channel the life-force of your party through the wood on a boat, then through the sea onto the sea floor. You could then manipulate the water to forcefully raise a sunken treasure chest by generating upward currents.

At your basic skill level you're restricted to only rocks, dirt and wood/trees/plantlife. As you advance you'll be able to use water as a conduit, then eventually manipulate it. At an extremely high level you'll also be able to supress magma/lava in order to walk over it.

Geomancy is a physical caster school so you can only do physical effects with things that already exist. You can stimulate vines to grow up through soil, you can manipulate a spear into striking up from the Earth - Eventually you could create waves in a pond or fill a well by forcing water out of soil in the ground near the well. But you can never conjure from what does not already exist.

But what were to happen if you were to find training in a mental spell school? With geomancy you can eventually learn to control water that physically exists. But if you were to learn a skill like Magic [Air] to a sufficient level you may be able to use air as a conduit for your geomancy (and thus use geomancy while flying) - Or combine it to create a stone spear using geomancy and thrust it using air magic. If you learned Magic [Water] you could transform an area of stone to mud. If your Magic [Water] and skill was high enough you could then freeze the mud.

2. Could I carry a jar of Earth around with me to cast spells when I'm out of my element, or gather up all the grit and stones in a radius around me to cast an admittedly weak spell?

I may have already mentioned this above - Yes, it's fully possible but a geomancer can not conjure, they can only cultivate. In order to summon a stone spear you must take a little bit of everything around you - This will weaken the nearby materials. Vines are grown by stimulating them to absorb water from the Earth, if there Earth is too dry you will fail.

That isn't to say you're completely useless though. If you work with your party you can create combination attacks that use the skills of multiple players. A geomancer can turn even a small stone into dust which is made of super-sharp particles. This dust can than be used by a party member who is capable of manipulating air to blast a dust cloud in an attempt to weaken an enemy's vision. And that's a powerful combination usable by (no-adjective) geomancers and air magic users.

Alternatively - If you carried a stone block about the size of a brick with you, it's fully possible you could mould it around your hand and enhance your physical punches by turning them into geomancy empowered stone strikes.

3. Does Geomancy extend to every natural thing I could find in the Earth? To give another example, if there is oil under me, I could blind my enemies with oil spray, or could I animate a dinosaur fossil to fight for me heh heh.

Bones can be used as part of geomancy, although animating a dinosaur fossil may not be immensely effective as you'd need to channel in order to do so and you'd exert an immense amount of your energy in physically raising the bones up from the floor (since you'd need to make dirt act like water and "flow" to allow each bone to be pushed up to the surface) - But when your skill gets high enough you could animate and control a rock golem - Again, same limitations: You can't give your golem sentient life so once you stop focusing on the task it would just collapse into it's component parts.

As for liquids, they're advanced geomancy as they require a whole new level of skill to manipulate. If you start to craft a stone spear from the floor and you stop halfway through, the stone spear would be half complete. Now if you tried a similar task with a liquid and stopped halfway through, the liquid would just disperse. If you wanted to accomplish this task without being skillful enough to manipulate the oil you'd need to push the oil to the surface then create a localised, powerful ground tremor that would project the oil at the opponent. Or team up with a Magic [Air] user. Or learn Magic [Air].

The strength with your geomancy is - Again - It's a physical caster school so it drains your physical energy. It's as if you're manipulating things with your own bare hands. This means that only half your character's potential is used - Pick up Magic [Air] and you can use your physical Geomancy to craft a spear, then use your mental Air to blast it and it won't double-exhaust your physical strength.

But don't worry, your opponents will be using any combination effects they are capable of from my own imagination against you - So you'll get plenty of ideas as you progress through the campaigns!

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 04:19:16 pm »

One lycanthropic character sheet > Check!

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 05:19:37 pm »

One Khajiit sheet - Check!

On that note - I'm off to retire for the evening, will finish off the other two character sheets tomorrow after work.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:22:10 pm by Jetlaw »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 05:32:34 pm »

Personally, I think the characters have came out relatively well... so far, at least.

I can't wait to see what comes up for my character, though.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 05:56:20 pm »

Since my character sheet isn't finalized, I would like to change my secondary preferred stat from Int to Wis. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Everything looks good so far, keep up the good work Jetlaw!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:32 pm »

I just noticed something. Our party has one oversized bird, and three cats of varying degree. 'I think I taw a putty tat!'

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 09:17:42 pm »

Haha. Just updating the character sheets for our lovable human. Going to the toilet then I'll have it posted up.

It's a concept class based on the Aion Online Chanter with a heavy modification.

It is the ultimate enhancement class. It has a passive aura/mantra that can remove negative roll modifiers or increase positive modifiers of any skills the Chanter knows for the party. It has the ability to enchant weapons or armor or accessories with various effects - Again, based on the skills the Chanter has. Finally it can intercept most attacks and abilities and empower them, learning a little bit about the ability in the process.

The character will end up being a key part of the team by empowering ally abilities, enhancing equipment and increasing roll modifiers.

Jetlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 10:40:49 pm »

Suffering from an insomnia attack.

The final character sheet to draw up will resemble an FF:T Dark Knight.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Knight_%28Final_Fantasy_Tactics%29

It will attack by draining it's own life-force in order to inflict large amounts of damage on it's opponents.

It will also come equipped with vampiric attacks which cause very small amounts of damage but drain the life force of the target.

It will be a class that has to be played with a degree of discretion. Go around using your abilities too often and you'll drain yourself of all your energy and pass out. Spend too much time vampirically attacking enemies and you're not actually accomplishing anything of merit either.

I think you'll enjoy it though.

Aaaas for your first "Mission/Quest/Assignment" - This one is handed down directly from the game master. You'll be set into a multi-level labyrinth against numerous powerful boss enemies eventually facing off against a mirror of your own team - Only they're stronger and they have more abilities.

For the first mission there can be no fatalities. Any characters that are killed will be resurrected after combat ends. It will serve as a training exercise where you can get to know eachother and get a handle of your classes before you begin the "real" adventures. There will be traps. There will be many encounters fully fledged boss enemies (or group of enemies) who'll be controlled in a manner that showcases multiple class abilities, combination attacks and teamwork. Blood and tears will be spilled. There will be no holding back.

Characters will be gifted points for certain actions while in the training dungeon that can then be barted with at the end for additional skills or equipment. Your performances will also allow me to stage your future adventures and their difficulties and try to match them far, far closer to your combat prowess and teamwork.

Basic rundown
Level 1: Encounters will contain single elite enemies or groups of 3-5 cannon fodder. Group-combat experience is vital for myself as GM and for you as an adventuring group. I need to know how you'll handle large mobs of enemies and how you'll apply your skills to control combat in your favour and win the day.

You'll also encounter single elite enemies who are multi-skilled and will focus on individual combination attacks by applying multiple skills at the same time.

Level 2: Encounters will contain teams of two elite enemies. They'll showcase combination attacks that utilise the powers and abilities of two players combined.

Level 3: There will be fewer encounters than the previous two levels. They will contain teams of three elite enemies. They will all have classes similar to yourselves and will combine attacks and abilities from my own imagination in an attempt to utterly overpower you.

Level 4: The Fighting Arena. You will be pitted against a group of 5 mirror-adventurers with a twist. They're more powerful than you and know more skills than you. You can only survive by outsmarting me and beating me at my own game - But you're five heads and I'm only one. If the training run has been successful you should be able to overcome the odds and defeat the final challenge.

Once the training labyrinth is over your characters will once again become mortal. Multiple quests will be available from the various towns and cities you may or may not frequent and for your convenience I will tag them by difficulty. This way you can play the game how you like - Easy missions (very weak opponents), normal missions (below-average opponents), hard missions (opponents equal in strength to you) and heroic missions (opponents stronger than you).

Anyway, going to TRY to get some sleep now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 01:57:16 am »

I'll start with breaking the fourth wall by taking out my character sheet (in-game) and replacing the "[/quote]" in the Sneak description with a "[/spoiler]" as it was originally intended. Then I search the character sheet for traps.

(Of course I don't really do that. I mean, who would place traps in a character sheet?)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 09:07:30 am »

Name: Dark Terror
Race: The Void Creatures
mine looks like this instead of the tentacles he has a other arm

Preferred Class Base: Physical
Preferred Class Style: Melee
Preferred Class Flavour:Uses time magic, consumes souls of near death Npc or players, Uses maces to crush , communicates through telepathy.

Primary Preferred Stat: Str
Secondary Preferred Stat:wis
Primary Sacrificed Stat:cha
Secondary Sacrificed Stat: Int

Can I choose this one instead? I didn’t like that other one

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 09:28:58 am »

Aww, come on! We be the feline squad! We might be even of similar color. Speaking of which, mine is a dark-ish gray with black spots.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5