Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No garbage dumping is happening?  (Read 8052 times)

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No garbage dumping is happening?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 01:47:02 pm »

Hmm... I have checked all of these things, and here are a few new findings:

- The problem is definitely not cats without mouths - my cants haven't cancelled a job in ages
- My refuse stockpile just totally ignored. I had my dwarves a bit overworked, so some food managed to rot in the kitchen. Then I took away some of their jobs, and for a minute or so, I had 4 dwarves sitting around, idling, while there were several decomposing rat remains AND the rotting food in the kitchen generating miasma. Nothing happened, though the refuse pile is accessible, close to all the rotting stuff, and all of my dwarves have refuse hauling and cleaning enabled.

I'm starting to get pissed. I mean, OK, if they prefer making rock crafts to hauling rotten quarry bush leave stew, that's fine with me. But sitting around, idling, pretending there's nothing to do while a stack of food rots next to them, that is just undwarvish...

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 01:54:37 pm »

OK, I have a first. A dwarf just actually walked up to a rat remains, picked it up, and (insert dramatic music) ran to the refuse pile (insert dwarf heroically dropping a dead rat in slow motion)!

I have no idea what the problem was, but what helped was removing the pile and reassigning it. The settings all look the same to me, but suddenly, it is acknowledged by the dwarves!

Could it be that overlapping stockpiles are a problem? I have a funny shaped room as refuse pile, and I had to assign 3 piles to cover all of it... it may be that I carelessly allowed two of them to overlap. Now I only have one pile, covering only part of the room.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 03:40:19 pm »

Even if you overlap the areas of designation, the individual tiles will still only belong to one stockpile.

This does sometimes mean you think you are setting policy for a big stockpile, when really you're only setting policy for a separate-but-adjacent stockpile.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:25 pm »

When I have an awkwardly-shaped pile room, I tend to create it overlarge and then trim away the parts I don't want being  there.
So if it's L shaped around a square room, I'll designate the entire large square laid out by the L, then undesignate the small area inside the L that I don't want to have stuff being dumped in
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »

A similar problem has occurred for me countless times; Dwarves, in the midst of hauling stone to a garbage dump/refuse pile (yes, I use the quantum stockpile method, so sue me), suddenly drop several of them and never touch them again. EVER. They won't use them for building if I remove dump status, won't dump them if I reactivate it over and over, and they're definitely not forbidden. It's like they simply cease to exist for every dwarf in my fort (even though I can't build over them -_-).
Pages: 1 [2]