Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No garbage dumping is happening?  (Read 8053 times)

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No garbage dumping is happening?
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:17:45 am »

Hello everyone!

This one has me pretty stumped - it's the first time this happens to me. I have the following:
  • A refuse stockpile
  • Several rat corpses

I do not, however, have any dwarves that feel like combining the two into a refuse stockpile containing rat corpses. What I do have is several dwarves sitting around, idling with their "cleaning" and "refuse hauling" labors enabled. And complaining about the miasma caused by all the eventually degenerating corpses. I have checked the standing orders, the corpses are not forbidden, the doors are not locked.

Only thig that is different from other fortresses I have had is that I have a garbage dump for my stone - could that somehow interfere? The corpses are not marked for dumping though...

Thanks a lot in advance everybody,
-Garanthor

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: No garbage dumping is happening?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:25:27 am »

Is the refuse stockpile accepting the 'rat remains'? You could also accidentally change settings to "Dwarves Dump Corpses" in 'o' -> 'r'
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:33:53 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have checked both: The pile is accepting all corpses (including rats), and "Dwarves save corpses".

Any other ideas?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:48:34 am »

I have a rock sitting on the roof of a building, and also a deer that ran up there and died somehow while there was a ramp to the roof. Dwarves WILL NOT, even when I make sure there's a route to the roof, take either of the two and dump them. For that matter, my mayor's room has a couple rocks in it that nobody will dump, either.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:57:26 am »

If the corpses are lying outside, also the option : dwarves gather refuse from outside must be enabled.
o(ptions) >> r(efuse) >> o
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:44:18 am »

That's usually the correct answer. However, this is a bit of a puzzle, he's sayin the corpses generate miasma, so they cannot be outside.

All I can think of... check refuse pile again :/ and make sure they are neither forbidden nor marked for dumping - again :/

edit: is this a reclaimed fortress? or maybe it has something to do with the options? are the rat bodies still complete or did they die from violent combat, and now you actually got pieces lying round?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:47:13 am by Puck »

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:53 am »

Yes, the corpses are inside.

I noticed that they the corpses so far have only appeared on stockpiles - may there be something stopping my dwarves from taking corpses from existing stockpiles? That would be funny though... these are all food stockpiles with very restrictive settings (one only for seeds, one only for plants, one for prepared food and one for drinks).

I have not seen rat corpses decompose anywhere but on my food stockpiles yet, but on the other hand, I have yet to see a corpse actually make it to the refuse stockpile, so I guess it's not that they get cleared out everywhere else, but rather that they prefer being (and dying) where the food is - which is not hard, since 1/3 of my fortress is currently food industry.

Any other ideas maybe? I'm really at my wit's end. And miasma on a food stockpile is depressing, since it pretty much guarantees that every dwarf in the fortress will smell it :(

Edit: Yup, the refuse pile takes rat corpses. The corpses are not forbidden or marked for dumping. This is a fresh fortress, and the rat bodies are all in one piece, they died from cats.

May it be useful if I uploaded the save?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:51:52 am by Garanthor »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:53:24 am »

Hmmm maybe it has something to do with the cats. There was some sort of bug (easily fixed) with cats not having a mouth or something and thus they are unable to carry the rats.

the dwarves, however, will not touch the rats, since they think the cats are gonna do it (the cat's jobs are actually queued).

Somethgn like that. Maybe.

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:58:18 am »

Hmm... sounds like a possibility, but when I view the job queue, I have not a single "store in stockpile" job queued most of the time... (most of my hauling jobs end up in a bin, and I don't think refuse hauling to a no-bins-allowed refuse stockpile are "store in bin") :(

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:59:55 am »

I'm not sure whether or not that cat jobs would be displayed?
Apparently, if that was the cause, anyway, you would get "cat too injured" job cancellation messages. Check the option screen, maybe turn on all cancellations for a few minutes.

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:11:15 am »

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that as soon as I get back. I haven't seen any "too injured"-cancellation messages so far, but I only had "display some job cancellations" on, so there may yet be hope ;)

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:36:08 am »

You could try forbidding and then unforbidding the remains (you shouldn't have to unpause in between).  That can sometimes "reset" items that dwarves won't touch.  Sort of like drafting and undrafting a dwarf to reset his labors, I guess.

It may also be possible that somehow, the rat corpses are a dwarf's property, much like clothing that can get strewn about in old fortresses?
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:51 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have checked both: The pile is accepting all corpses (including rats), and "Dwarves save corpses".

Any other ideas?

Try changing "Dwarves save corpses" to "Dwarves dump corpses". Also, have the same problem, have to "D"ump these by hand.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 12:39:58 pm »

Are these actually corpses, or just vermin remains?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 02:23:50 pm »

They are, in fact, NOT "corpses".

Refuse hauling tends to be rather low priority - if there's something else the dwarf can do, that you have told them they are allowed to do, they will. 

I have a lot (5-10%?) of my dwarves with only Haul Refuse/Haul Food (food seems to be another that gets easily overlooked).  And any dwarves whose current tasks are not either distant or "fortress critical" have refuse hauling as well, "just because".

Lastly, try making multiple miasma-lock dumps, where ever you can squeeze them in.  Little 1 tile or 2x2 closets with diagonal entrances - you can give them multiple entrances, and then mark them as "restricted" (<d>, <o>) so they don't get used as short-cuts.

And, of course, I make sure to forbid anything outside that I don't care about.

And remains still rot on occasion, but not too bad. I think unless you're willing to have dedicated garbage dwarfs, with only refuse hauling, that's just going to happen.
Pages: [1] 2