Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elves and Glass?  (Read 3521 times)

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves and Glass?
« on: October 04, 2009, 06:42:06 am »

On the DF wiki there are mentions of elves hating glass. Is this true? Will they siege me for giving them a veritable mountain of green glass mugs this spring? Shall I prepare the magma chamber?
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Elves and Glass?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:52:05 am »

In the old 2d version, you needed 1 magma proof (steel) bar to build any kind of magma-workshop (if I remeber correctly, it IS a long time ago).
Elves have very long memories.
Therefore, Elves believe they still live in 2D DF, and according to their logic, you can NOT have made green glass without killing at least 3 trees and turning them into coal (1 for melting iron, 1 for making pig iron, 1 for making steel). Their primitive minds simply cannot grasp the possibility of building a magma glass furnace without a steel bar.
So. Green glass means dead trees, and will offend them when trying to trade it, like wood, metals and animal products.

Getting them to siege, however, will probably take more than offering them some offensive crap.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:02:57 am »

Unless it's been changed since 40d14, elves will most certainly take green glass without complaints and I'm not even using a magma glass furnace. I haven't tried clear glass, but I've given them both green glass goblets and large green glass gems without issue. In 40d10, I was exclusively trading them green glass goblets and never heard a peep of complaint. I haven't tried it in a newer release, but, again, a handful of green glass doesn't bother them to the extent that a single wooden object does.

I haven't altered my elves either.

On somewhat related note, I had some elven traders drop by the other day and one of them tried to get a better deal out of my trader by requesting a few more items including two Steel puzzleboxes that I had received from the Dwarven caravan. So it seems that Steel is only a problem if it's made on site. Not that that's a surprise seeing as how they're perfectly content to carry off Goblinite items that I can't be bothered to melt down.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:10:21 am »

From my knowledge, neither steel nor green glass is a problem for them.

Clear and crystal glass gets rejected because of pearlash being used while making it, but green glass is fine to them, I've traded a few glass goblets for their whole caravan a while back.

Steel should be fine too, since with a magma forge/smelter you can just use coal/lignite to make coke, which means there are no trees being harmed, but I'm not entirely sure on this since I rarely, if ever give the elves any kind of metal, they aren't worth taking my precious steel.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:05:12 am »

Hmm. It seems my knowledge is outdated then. Excuses for the confusion.
I guess I haven't even bothered trying to sell the elves anything that involved furnaces for a VERY long time.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:17:59 am »

On the DF wiki there are mentions of elves hating glass. Is this true? Will they siege me for giving them a veritable mountain of green glass mugs this spring? Shall I prepare the magma chamber?

They are elves. You should prepare the magma chamber anyway.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:41:57 pm »

They are elves. You should prepare the magma chamber anyway.

I second this enthusiastically.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 12:59:17 pm »

So. Green glass means dead trees, and will offend them when trying to trade it, like wood, metals and animal products.
Which animal products, out of curiosity?
Because I haven't had any problems with the elves when trading *cat skull totem*s.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:51:09 pm »

Hmmm. Upsetting elves has been given quite an overhaul then.
However, being able to sell totems to the elves sounds like a bug.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 03:05:00 pm »

I've sold elf skull totems to the elves and they're ecstatic about the trading.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 03:21:37 pm »

They realize that the fleshlessness is in fact an improvement.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 03:28:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure elves hate glass because of pearlash.
Which comes from wood.
Including ash.
For some reason they like iron even though it uses wood products sometimes.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 03:55:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure elves hate glass because of pearlash.
Which comes from wood.
Including ash.
For some reason they like iron even though it uses wood products sometimes.
In that case, it would make sense for them to be happy with green glass (assuming they knew you were using magma) but not with clear or crystal glass.

Still, there's no reason for them to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're using magma.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 04:22:17 pm »

It sort of makes sense that they don't discriminate based on fuel usage - after all, they could be assuming that you're fueling your non-magma forges using coke refined from bituminous coal and/or lignite, mined straight out of the earth (though initiated using a single bar of charcoal, which they probably forgot about).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »

There wasn't any way to be distinct about how a furnace-based object was made. So elves just wouldn't buy those. That was annoying, especially if you have magma furnaces, so the system was changed to them accepting everything but direct wood products (instead of nothing involving furnaces) since that was less bothersome. In similar logic, they didn't used to accept items with blood on them, but since you can't wash it off it was changed (I assume dwarves wipe it on their beard before trade. Good as new!)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2