Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elves and Glass?  (Read 3517 times)

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Elves and Glass?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 09:51:08 pm »

I'm not entirely sure on this since I rarely, if ever give the elves any kind of metal, they aren't worth taking my precious steel.

Of course you don't give the elves steel.  Trade them some nice lead goblets and lead barrels instead.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:50 am »

I've worked with elves a bit.  I know for a fact you can trade Leather, Plant Fiber (rope weed/pig tail), Silk, Metal (including steel), Rock, Gem, Bone, and Green Glass.

What you can't trade are wood, obsidian swords, soap, clear glass, crystal glass, or any wood byproducts (charcoal, lye, etc).  Having those items in the trade depot don't bother them as long as you don;t try to actually offer it to them.  So go ahead and move your entire wood stockpile to the depot just to taunt them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:54 am »

Don't they also refuse to trade anything with an inch of blood on them?

Cheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »

In similar logic, they didn't used to accept items with blood on them, but since you can't wash it off it was changed (I assume dwarves wipe it on their beard before trade. Good as new!)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:38:13 pm »

Essentially, if it isn't wood or wood ash, they don't care. Even if you actually did use wood to forge the items, even if they watched you cut the trees, charcoal the logs, smelt the ore, and forge the items using charcoal, they'll still take the items so long as they can plug their ears, sing, and pretend you used magma.

Bunch of bloody hypocrites.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:19 pm »

They also buy bone items now. I imagine something like this:

Year 1:
- "Here, take this =Goblin Bone Bolts=."
- "This used to be a proud creature, now it is a rude bauble fit only for your kind! You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

Year 2:
The caravan barely survives a goblin ambush, with only a few elves returning to the forest to the tale.

Year 3:
- "Here, take this +Goblin Bone Mug+."
- "Sure, I'll give you this -Goblin leather- in return."
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:39 am »

You give them bone bolts?  Those are for my marksdwarves to practice with.  I give them the +Goblin Skull Totem+ that is otherwise useless to me except as a memento of the battle.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:37 am »

Usually when I 'give' the elves bone bolts, it's at high velocity, delivered directly to their vital organs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 11:57:07 am »

They also buy bone items now.

I've sold elf skull totems to the elves and they're ecstatic about the trading.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 03:44:28 pm »

No, and they never have.

I don't know where the myth about elves and blood/vomit covered things came from but it's never been true.

At least the booze bomb myth had a (misleading) movie.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 05:42:07 am »

I think everyone's used to dwarf products being caked with layers of blood and vomit.

And the elves seem to give the dwarves the benefit of the doubt, and only object to products that couldn't be obtained any way other than killing trees. Beyond that, fair game, you can make their father's skull into a mug and they're cool with it.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 10:58:47 am »

I think I remember hearing about how someone found a preserved Elf Skin in the HFS.  He made leather out of it and proceded to encrust it with every gem and studded with every metal available.
Pages: 1 [2]