Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Tongsthundered, Temple City Succession!  (Read 16255 times)

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: Tongsthundered, Temple City Succession!
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 01:17:36 am »

What won't work?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 02:12:58 am »

Never mind. I found the problem. Map loaded.

-------------------------------

Well the new year has inspired me to haul ass and save myself. Perhaps building even a shrine, the foundation of a temple, will mean the next temple builder will spare my life... I doubt it. Kadol's statue shall have a clear view of both the trading post, and the view over the valley. We shall raise two towers above the entrance of our fort in honor of her! And perhaps she'll bless us so that some more caravans come, some with freaking wagons!

I just took a second look at our 'river', it's a gods' damned BROOK! It's just silt below, ya can walk right over it! Damn and Blast! This means we have to at least dig some trenches on either side of the natural cliff face. That way nothing will march in on our fortress through the future fishing outlet. We'll have to channel out the whole thing. We'd be a laughing stock if there weren't a proper river in our river valley! We'll get on it as soon as our main objectives are done.

Oh damn, poncy elves. I bet they didn't even bring anything good, and... what? No caravan? Why in the gods names isn't there one! Fine. Fine. We'll deal with it. Maybe they'll actually have something useful.

Wait... your holiness? WHY AREN'T YOU BARTERING WITH THEM!? You're tired from your other duties? What other duties? You talk to us! That's it! You refuse to do anything else! And they're a few yards away! We need these supplies!

Wait, are those migrants? Now we need those supplies even more, wait... where the hell did his holiness go?

While I was looking for our lazy ass of a priest, may the gods grant him a full beard and long life, the elves decided to leave. I just hope we don't starve.

I'm putting up a pair of bridges in the entrance hall. Once properly hooked up, they'll bring down holy death upon anyone foolish enough to try and breach THIS temple.

Hun? One of our mechanic just ran off screaming off his lungs about the gods, or possibly demons, controlling him and how he needed some rocks and stuff... and he just took control of the mechanics shop. Oh well. I guess I'll wait this out and see what happens.
A little while later he came out, carrying, an obsidian mechanism with decoration? The hell? Are we supposed to use this in something? Couldn't he have just made a normal mechanism? Oh well, I guess it means we can run a mister inside of a priest's room and have it make him REALLY happy to have an artifact inspired by the gods themselves.

Human traders came today, and still no wagons, I cannot for the life of me understand it. We've carved the path and are open to business. At this rate we'll get nothing out of it. They also left because our priest couldn't be bothered to treat with them.

Wait, OH BLOODY HELL! KOLBOLDS! I know they're the symbol of our nation, though why in the god's names we'd choose THEM to be our holy creature is beyond me. Worst of all, we didn't capture them in the cage traps, I just know that the priest will give me an ear full for this.
We have a second farm running now. Everything is going perfectly now, this one will grow clothes crops and other nonedibles.
AH! The shrine is well underway! We're engraving even now! It's beautiful, with symbols of both our Temple's Order, and of our great nation.

Since paved obsidian roads, when we already have more obsidian than we know what to do with, seems silly. I've ordered the nearby mircocline pocket to be mined and used to build the roads. They're rough now, but I suppose they can be torn out and be built from blocks rather than stone later.

The Towers' first levels are done. Now we're working on the second. I've put in levers to control the 4 bridges. the one nearest to the microcline stairs powers the smashing trap bridges. The next one powers the out bridge. The last one controls the final bridge. That reminds me, the two bridges meant to be crossed over retract, they don't fold. This will need to be corrected later, or extra walls be built near the outer bridge if we hope to prevent invaders.

Oh damn, more merchants from the mountain homes! And they couldn't bring a caravan because of our bridge building! This is a disaster! Oh well, we'll make the best of it. We ordered bauxite, cats, dogs, the usual food and drink, seeds of all sorts, and other things.

This time a craftsdwarf found himself possessed, ran about like his beard was on fire until he got the shop and proceded to turn out a bracelet so black that it looks like it's sucking in the light. I don't want to touch it, so I'm burying it DEEP in the store rooms. I'll have an offical record of it left, but I'm not dealing with it.

It's offical, the Priest is mad, he's doing it AGAIN! I drug him out of bed and threw him into the traders. They looked bemused by this blasphemy, but begin negotiating.
Wait, hun? What are they going on about over there. No bones?! I checked the refuse pile only minutes ago, there's tons of turtle shells! use those! Well fine, if ya won't use 'em I'll just take those off the job list. Get to making some bone armor and some obsidian swords, we need a temple guard already!

FINALLY! A good trade. We bought almost everything they had. Cloth, leather, supplies, cages, everything. The Obsidian goods are selling quite well now.

The trenches for the brook are finished, we can now fish in peace. I'll have it expanded the rest of the way quite soon, atleast THAT section will be filled so we can get a water wheel powering it.

Wait, what? The masons got themselves STUCK on the tower? HOW!? Oh fine, since the sissy's won't just jump the 8 or so feet to the lower level, nock out the walls under them and rebuild. DO IT!
There. It's done. Those holes on the eastern tower are where we knocked out the floor from under the masons. I gave them a few swift kicks for their penance, then proceded to drag them away and show them the magma pit. They keep this up they can explain their idiocy, cowardice, and incompetance to the imps and firemen before they speak with the gods themselves.

The Bridges are completed and fully linked. Hopefully this will keep us safe!

Wait... they did it again? DAMN THOSE MASONS! Get 'em down, I think they need to spend 20 minutes in the magma pipe chamber with the gate closed behind them. Maybe that'll scare some sense into them.
I gave 'em ten, the screams of terror from a nest of fire snakes lighting their beards on fire was enough for me, I had a few buckets of water waiting, maybe now they'll remember not to get themselves trapped.

YES! The Shrine is done! The Goddess' statue is in place, watching over both the valley and our trading post! Perhaps this will improve our trading luck. And maybe my life will be spared as well...

Oh... oh no... DAMN! The bridges were improperly constructed! We'll have to rip them out and replace them. There's no time to get them relinked, we'll just have to build em to lift up properly.

Aaaah, fuck it. I'm a dead dwarf. I'm going to have some fun before the end. I held a party in the dining room. Everyone invited. The shrine is finished, as are the towers, this is pretty much all I can do.

After the party I ordered the store rooms expanded. I had some stairs put in the back corners of each one so that they could be expanded up. We still have a lizard problem, we really need those cats.

Wait, it's the 4th of Granite, I completely lost track of time. The Mountainhomes will obviously know I'm no where NEAR done. The Liaison saw that, where's my executioner and replacement then? To top everything off, another dwarf has been possessed. Forget it. It's not my problem any more. I'm leaving this journal and a map of the fortress behind for the next Temple Builder. I can live out my remaining hours drinking booze at the very least.

(Notes include everything on the running of the fortress right now. If there's something around you don't know about, ask me. Also, REMEMBER TO RELINK THE SMASHER BRIDGES! O_O They're just useless right now. Also, bone armor and obsidian swords on the way. Get some dwarves a trainin' man. 4 pesants and more than a few useless milkers and such lieing around eager to become the first temple guard. We also need a sheriff.)

Map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7148-tongsthundered1
Upload: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1472
End Stats:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:23:59 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:48 am »

Some POI's would be nice.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:36 am »

POI's? Sorry, acronyms are not my strong point >.<
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:56:05 am by shadowclasper »

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 11:10:04 am »

Points Of Interest (in the map archive database thingy)

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 11:35:48 am »

you should also use them to mark the Do Not Pull! Levers. and other stuff we shouldn't touch without knowing what it does.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2009, 11:53:45 am »

I did, expanded after the initial post. The do not pull lever isn't THAT bad. Just make sure to close it THE VERY MOMENT YOUR MINER IS BACK INSIDE!

edit: Done. There's now a spoiler at the bottom of the initial post that quotes all the relevant posts. I'll do the same for people at the end of each turn :3
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:58:49 am by shadowclasper »

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:19 pm »

You don't need to post links to all of the Points, just post the link to the map itself, that POI's are on the rigth of the map in the viewer.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »

Oh >_>; I couldn't find 'em... Ah well ^^

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »

RAEG, you left me a bloody mess, little food production, the magma channels are full with only Two things getting power from em, almost all of the fortress either worships fortresses and war or rainbows, BLOODY RAINBOWS, or freaking LIGHT!!!  I have little to no idea how to build a temple to a freaking RAINBOW!...... what temple did you try to make and fail, was it the freaking easy ass fortress/gem one?
Nom nom nom

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:04 pm »

Yes. That's the shrine above which you would know if you'd been reading =3

and you can build ANY temple, you don't have to wait for migrants from that temple. And I believe Sava called dibs on rainbows anyway.

THE GODS WE SHALL REPRESENT!
Bonus Quests for gods:
    * Ral: Male dwarf, Associated with the Earth
    * Kadol: Female dwarf, associated with War, fortresses, trade, wealth and jewels
    * Zim: Female dwarf, associated with mountains.
    * Asiz: Male dwarf, associated with light
    * Usen: male dwarf, associated with oaths
    * Bal: male dwarf, associated with youth
    * Volal Fairhaven: female dwarf, associated with rainbows
    * Gomath Primeidol: female dwarf, associated with thralldom

Kadol has a SHRINE! Not a full blown temple. Eventually I saw the towers growing out into massive WALLS that cross that entire part of the valley, and her having a massive statue with magma spewing cannon for a mouth imbedded into the wall. Trade post/entrance to the valley would be between her feet which would basically be the gate to the valley. Of course, you can do it however you like =3 It's just how I saw a war/fortress/trade/wealth/jewels god's temple being ^^
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:01:52 pm by shadowclasper »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:57 pm »

oh ok then, time to save-scum the legends up.
Nom nom nom

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 03:00:57 pm »

I haz big ideas for the rainbow temple :D

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 03:01:20 pm »

Oh and you failed the gem/trade/fortress/war one so badly your gonna starve to death, slowly, you'll even have water to keep you alive longer, but you will starve.  Maybe I'll put your corpse in my temple?
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8