Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disable rent  (Read 537 times)

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disable rent
« on: December 07, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

I'd suggest being able to disable rent in the ini files. I like the economy, and I enjoy watching my dwarves pile up their money, buy things, and shops to sell things...but I hate that I can't make good looking rooms because they cost too much to rent. I'd like an option to make room rent free with the economy.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disable rent
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

It's a bad idea to make really nice rooms for your non-noble/legendary dwarves, anyway, as it tends to make your nobles throw hissy fits. Just save the really nice bedrooms for your nobles.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

It shows that I still don't understand the economy (hey, my fortresses usually "end" after I start setting it up), but who profits from the rented rooms? Who owns them in the first place?
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MyBeardIsOnFire:
<STRONG>It shows that I still don't understand the economy (hey, my fortresses usually "end" after I start setting it up), but who profits from the rented rooms? Who owns them in the first place?</STRONG>

The money for rooms is recycled back into the economy/money.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

Is there any way to see the "value" of a room before the economy kicks in? I'd like to give my dwarfs small 2x2 rooms, but since I use highly skilled carpenters and masons(they get skilled after a while) room prices rise steadily, and are monotonous to calculate.

I would love to be able to see the prices of my rooms to see if I need to put my furniture makers into retirement, or if I need to tone down a room a bit.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MyBeardIsOnFire:
<STRONG>It shows that I still don't understand the economy (hey, my fortresses usually "end" after I start setting it up), but who profits from the rented rooms? Who owns them in the first place?</STRONG>

Right now the economy does not really work.

In theory, the fortress (you, basically) pay dwarves to work once they economy is enabled, and they pay you for items/rooms/food/whatever. Coins are the method of payment, which each coin being worth more (to your dwarves) then the actual metal it's made of - so you smelt coins and pay your dwarves with them, and they pay you back when they use the stuff you payed other dwarves to make.

However, right now you don't really need coins for anything and dwarves just get payed with credit and then buy things with the credit - basically your fortress has unlimited wealth to pay dwarves with right now so them renting rooms and them buying things from you is really meaningless.

Eventually, having rent free rooms would be a bad thing (sort of) because you would have to keep smelting more and more coins because the dwarves would collect them all and never pay you back.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>It's a bad idea to make really nice rooms for your non-noble/legendary dwarves, anyway, as it tends to make your nobles throw hissy fits. Just save the really nice bedrooms for your nobles.</STRONG>

I just always make noble bedrooms twice as big! with twice as awesome stuff in it. then toss in gold/aluminum statues to bring them to their desired level.