Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there anyway to see the thoughts on insane dwarfs?  (Read 1208 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Is there anyway to see the thoughts on insane dwarfs?
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:42:49 pm »

quesiton above..

So one of my champions dropped his beer and went beserk all of a sudden. He ripped a small child to pieces before being dispatched by my other champions.

I have no idea why he went mad. i tried checking his thoughts page but i couldnt get there, it seems beserkd dorfs arnt listed in ur units or military list, and if you select them on the map you can see everything else normal but theres no option for the thoughts?

No one had died in my fort recently and living conditions were pretty good, most of my dorfs are either happy or exstatic.

if you cant view insane dorfs thoughts i suggest you hsould be ought to, 1stly it would be useful for determining the cause of insanity, secondly it would funny finding out whats going thru their heads when they are torturing childen.

any have any ideas on how i can find out why it happend. I dont like the idea that my champs could go rogue any minute.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anyway to see the thoughts on insane dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:59:06 pm »

This is the pure and textbook result of a failed strange mood then, did he previously have a flashing grey ! on him? scratch that, did it have any pets that died?

Also, seeing his thoughts wise, I believe it's because he turns into an uncontrollable unit, which is impossible to see the thoughts of.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:02:18 pm by Heliman »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:30 pm »

Unhappy dwarves occasionally go insane. If this wasn't a failed mood (sounds like it's not), that's the only thing that could have happened.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 03:30:00 pm »

Unless there is a horrible crash of morale, you should typically see the warning signs (I use the mayday mod it shows it as a red downward arrow.) you can use the unit list to see what their current problems are.

one potential thing might be a prolonged patrol. if your dwarves have been on duty for an extensive amount of time they do get a negative thought. i dont know if it compounds over time till they go nuts.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

one way to find out?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:02:29 pm »

one potential thing might be a prolonged patrol. if your dwarves have been on duty for an extensive amount of time they do get a negative thought. i dont know if it compounds over time till they go nuts.

I think it does. I had some champions on patrol while some new recruits trained, and they got pretty miserable.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell the thoughts of a dwarf who went berserk. Since he's now a hostile entity.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 08:02:50 pm »

You can check the thoughts of dead/insane dwarves by checking the relationship screen of someone who knew them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

Alternatively, if you're using version 40d, you can use Dwarf Companion and temporarily change his insanity type to something else.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 05:02:13 pm »

Alternatively, if you're using version 40d, you can use Dwarf Companion and temporarily change his insanity type to something else.
I believe that if you are fast enough (before (s)he was torn to pieces) you can even change them back to normal permanantly... If you like this kind of cheating of course.

Btw... Couldnt the sudden insanity be because of a misscarriage if it was a female.
For a male I would personally think it could be a mix of various annoyances from sleeping on a rock floor/sand/soil, lack of chairs, lack of a well... ect. ect. you know the drill.
In one of my previous fortresses I appearently waited to long with providing a diningroom, sleeping quarters and a well... My mayor first killed 4 breeding animals during 4 seperate "throwing tantrums" (and calming down) before he finally went berserk (and had to be cheated back to happiness  :P). Like I wrote... He survived, but was sentenced to 151 days in jail...  ;D

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 11:33:16 pm »

Btw... Couldnt the sudden insanity be because of a misscarriage if it was a female.
For a male I would personally think it could be a mix of various annoyances from sleeping on a rock floor/sand/soil, lack of chairs, lack of a well... ect. ect. you know the drill.
In one of my previous fortresses I appearently waited to long with providing a diningroom, sleeping quarters and a well... My mayor first killed 4 breeding animals during 4 seperate "throwing tantrums" (and calming down) before he finally went berserk (and had to be cheated back to happiness  :P). Like I wrote... He survived, but was sentenced to 151 days in jail...  ;D
1: I'm fairly certain  miscarriages are impossible
2: the guy was in an enviornment where everyone else was freaking tripping on happyness, including other soldiers, which rules out the other two ideas you had.

this pretty much leaves overworked via being stationed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:50:18 pm »

1: I'm fairly certain  miscarriages are impossible

Oh?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:02:01 am »

for a male dwarf i think.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:32 pm »

I've had military dwarves in cushy forts get so pissed off about long patrols that they berzerked. Military dwarves on duty miss out on a lot of the usual happy-thought-making parts of fortress life since they don't use dining rooms and sometimes (if you have them carry drinks with them) don't even drink alcohol.

It helps to assign them fancy individual bedrooms and be sure their squad settings are set to use those bedrooms. Then again, just giving them adequate time off works just as well.

Strangely, anyone above hero status seems to cease having the long patrol negative thought. Champions seem to patrol for years on end without complaint.