Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I thought I knew how cave-ins worked, obviously not.  (Read 1134 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I thought I knew how cave-ins worked, obviously not.
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:41:59 am »

So, I wanted to work on flattening my map a bit more (mostly for aesthetic purposes) and there was a two level hill that I was going to mine out of existence. Now, I started AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL which was roughly 9x9 in size. It collapsed, killing my two best miners, one of whom was my only good gem guy. Can someone please explain this to me? Thank you.

And a second question. I decided to try my hand at building above-ground structures. So, I am building this thing (damn it takes al ong time/lot of stone) and I finish my second story+roof. Now I realize, I can't place workshops, piles, or anything else inside of it. Am I doing something wrong? Or are they just totally useless?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: I thought I knew how cave-ins worked, obviously not.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 11:45:29 am »

You might wish to give a diagram of what you did when mining the hill. A lot of things could go wrong there. For example, floors can cave-in if you don't support them. Solid walls are not the only things that cause trouble.

As for your structure, we will need a diagram of that as well. Again, there could be a whole host of issues here.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:55:42 am »

U
WWWDDWWW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WWWWWWW

W=Walls
F=Floors
D=Doors
U= Upwards stairs

(Sorry, that looks crappy)
I simply can't build anything on the "floor" due to there being a building there already. My second story look pretty much identical to my first, just replace the doors with walls and have a downwards staircase.

---

However, what has be confused on the mining of the hill, if I did not write it out very clearly, is there was nothing above me to fall down. I was mining the highest possible level, so I don't get what fell.

Thank you in advanced for your time.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:04:24 pm »

I simply can't build anything on the "floor" due to there being a building there already.
I know this is the last thing you want to hear for a solution, but that shouldn't be happening.

Fact is, you  CAN build workshops on constructed floors. If the game isn't letting you, I have no way of explaining that. Did you screw around with the RAWs at all?

Also, you didn't remove the access to the upper story did you? That would stop dwarves from getting up there.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:43:48 pm »

you sure you were on the highest level? i mean, you can dig into the highest level of a mountain and still have floor above you, you know?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 12:45:13 pm »

If you're getting rid of a hill, the problem may be that mining is leaves the floors above the level you're mining, channel them away from the top to remove those floors.

As for the structure, I have no idea what could be wrong, if you're trying to build an up stair or something else with B-C on the floors, then yes, that can't work, remove the floor and do that.

If just using B-(Something), it should just let you place it.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:28:14 pm »

Congratulations, you've completed a universal DF rite of passage by killing a miner this way:

You were not mining "the highest level". You were digging out the highest level of walls and ignoring the floors they supported.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 02:30:39 pm »

That's a pretty sweet diagram

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 02:50:38 pm »

Nicely illustrated, I like how he's called Urist McPancake.

Personally, I prefer the channelling method, simply set the floor on top of the hill to be channelled, there will be no ramps to remove, though ramps are most likely a bit safer if you use multiple miners, with channelling multiple miners can and will channel eachother onto islands.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »

Thank you very much people.

I now understand the cavein problems and will do it right next time. The building issues, I am not sure what I was doing wrong the first time (I actually tried several times) but it is now working. I must have been doing something weird.

However, I have another question. I embarked on a very cold map. My entire map, including the road I build, says that the wagons cannot go on it. Is this due to the cold? Or could it be something else?

I lost two of my dwarfs, am pretty much out of food, the wagons passed me up, and I keep getting bothered by gnomes. Not a great start! XD - But, I suppose I learned some things that will help me in my next fortress. I just wanna get this wagon problem resolved before I abandon the fortress.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »

The depot access display radiates OUT from your trade depot.  Follow it out from there and find where it stops.  I doubt it'll be your roads.  Maybe there's something wrong with any ramps you're using, or maybe there's a passage that you didn't notice that is too small.

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:52:24 pm »

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised by all the pleasant helpful people here. Again, thank you all very much for the help so far. Sorry for my questions being pretty basic, I am still trying to fully grasp the game.

I have another question, if you re all willing to take a look at it. Since I am not good at making diagrams, I just took a screenshot.

Can a wagon go over that? I made it four tiles thick, but I am unsure if the side count. I don't wanna (at least yet) make anything complicated like retracting it, I just wanted to give the wagons a straight shot to my trade depot.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 08:04:08 pm »

looks like it should be able to...

just use shift+D, if there's an unbroken line of green squares(it only needs to be 1 wide) across the bridges and connecting to green squares on solid ground on each side then you're good to go.  whether the merchants don't just go through the valley anyway *shrug*
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »

I thought it had to be 'so many' squares wide? Well, we'll see. Thank you.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 08:25:33 pm »

I think wagons can actually cross bridges 1 tile wide.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: [1] 2