Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Redtapers, the Fools of Laws -A metasuccession game.  (Read 2815 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Redtapers, the Fools of Laws -A metasuccession game.
« on: October 03, 2009, 04:23:20 am »

Hey!

Well, I've been playing for Dwarf Fortress for a long time and wanting to join a sucession game for almost as long. However, due to bad luck, bad timing and a girlfriend I've not been able to join one yet. (Yeah, I know that magma is a solution to at least one of these problems, but my parents choose an embark without magma tube....)

So I was left crying alone in my big, empty bed when I tough "Hey, if I don't have the time to play a sucession game, why don't I organise one?" (IMO logic is way overrated).

The next step was to find an idea for my succession fort. Every single fun succession got some kind of stupid, challenging rules. (Exept SparkGear, but they've got Barbarossa, which is far worse than any rules Ican think of.) Since I'm a lazy bastard and I didn't find any good idea in the first 5 minute I decided to inaugure a new concept in succession game (At least I think it's new. But since the DF community has already invented everything from flying orc to computing fortresses, I'm not sure.)

The idea is the following: each overseer got a year (Playtime)/week (realtime) to do whatever they want with the fortress. At the end of his term, he can make a single rule. All the following overseer have to observe this rule or to suffer a penalty (Usually, death). Of course the more stupid, expansive and dangerous is the rule, the better. Hopefully, if your turn is late enough, you'll have to struggle to manage to export enough crown while making huge sacrifice to Armok, fitting new gold statues in a dozen tomb and destroying siege with your squad of wrestler in *Leopard leather loincloth*. Sound fun isn't it? :p

So, does anyone want to join? If yes, do you have suggestion for mods/embark location?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
Re: Redtapers, the Fools of Laws -A metasuccession game.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:33:40 am »

Three words: humans, jungle, raptors.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 08:52:41 am »

Dwarves, glacier, SOF.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:57:14 am »

hmm, i like the idea
it will probably be really fun

Iluogo ruler mandates all constructions be made of clear glass blocks

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:10:52 am »

What happens if two people make conflicting rules? May you make conflicting rules?

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:38:05 am »

you should start this with elves, just to be different. Oh and I second raptors.

Taters mandates the trading of at least 5 raptors to the home caravan each year

AT LEAST 5
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:38 am »

You do know that if you try to bring caged creatures to the trade depot they always escape right?

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 03:47:58 pm »

This is a pretty good idea, though you'd have to make sure your rule was pretty easy to keep track of, or else we'd never get to execute the previous ruler.

I vote: Dwarves, Desert, Vanilla (no mods, or the economic stones mod), 2X2 embark area (because my rig sucks and I totally want to play.)

And now it's time to brainstorm horrible, horrible Laws.
- 50% of all created bars must be stored in a Vault, and can never be traded away or used for any purpose whatsoever. (Hard to track, but if the next player notices lots of weapons, armor, and such, but the vault is the same size, OFF WITH HIS HEAD!)
- All migrants must pass through the Kitty-Randomized Hallway of Painful Impalement. Those who fail to survive must be duly reported and logged.
- As above, but with giant saw blades instead. Name changed to Corridor of Horrific Dismemberment.

;D

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 04:54:14 am »

Ok, I have to go tomorrow, so no time to post an embark now... If somebody else want to take charge of this, he can. Else, I will revive this thread in 10 days.

Also, I propose some metarules, rules that rules which rules will rule and which rules won't rule.

-1) You rule take effect at the end of your turn (Else, some people will refrain from making insanely hard rules)
-2) You may not edit a previous rules, expet to make it worse. (Exemple: Now, the 5 raptors you have to send every year have to be caged in  *Golden Cage*)
-3) You may not make a rule that conflict with other rule. There must always be a way to comply to ALL the rules.
-4) Killing your overseer must be a creative act. If possible, include magma.
-5) "Save a FPS, eat a cat": Your rules shall not kill the FPS.
-6) You shall send all your money to Sheb  ::)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 09:54:20 am »

Pffft! Would putting the cage pile right next to the depot fix it, or is it a bug?

If not, we all need to pick a big room and write our initials in the floor before the year is over using colored stone. It must be your favorite color
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:24:55 am »

I am in.

I propose that your rule has to be spelled out on the bottom level of the map, in some form of construction.  If you can't be succinct, it's not a good rule.  Also, it'd be awesome to look at.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:46:23 am »

Quote from: Sheb link=topic=42784.msg795282#msg795282  date=1254650054
Ok, I have to go tomorrow, so no time to post an embark now... If somebody else want to take charge of this, he can. Else, I will revive this thread in 10 days.

I'll offer to post an embark and take the first turn, if no one has any objections.

For maximum amusement value / rules value, I would like to pick a place that has a magma pipe, sand, an underground river, and HFS.

Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 01:36:17 pm »

Quick! While I still can!
Starting spot: Coast with Good aligned ocean
Rule: After year 3, the entire fort must be fed with food bought by mermaid based products.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:51:05 am »

Well, here's some promising ones I found.  No mermaids, sorry. =P

Anyways, these are all with the Dig Deeper! and Raptor mods.  All of them are a 5x5 embark, and have a magma pipe and sand.  HFS and water is as marked; they don't all have those.

Map 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map 2

Map 3:

Map 4:

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 02:00:01 am »

Map 4!!
Also sounds good :)
I suggests a time limit on rules so they can change, or 10 rules max (So the 11th ruler can choose one rule to go), so the challenge will change.
But great concept!!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.
Pages: [1] 2 3