Author Topic: Deities  (Read 486 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Deities
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:32:47 am »

I've noticed that every single one of my dwarves seems to have a different diety, are they ALL randomly generated? (as in you first have the dwarf, then get the deity name and domains?) Or is a pantheon generated for a faction and then the dwarves choose from among those when they're generated?

This is kinda important for me to know, since I eventually plan on making an almighty TEMPLE TO THE GODS! below my current fortress as my FUNtm project. It will involve lava, a giant statue to Armok, and a sacrifical alter at the bottom of my execution shaft where goblins and elves shall be dropped to satisfy his thirst.

edit: Temple would have a statue of a different Stone type for each god. If at all possible I'd try to name them, if I couldn't, then I'd make a 1 square large statue garden owned by a dwarf who worships them. Since the one square would have a statue in it, there'd be no over partying problems either. If there's as many deities as dwarves in a fortress, I'd have a much harder time getting enough statues >_<; Also, my philosopher would finally have a use, PRIEST!

edit2: In a similar vein, can you put upright spikes or spears at the bottom of an execution shaft and impale those thrown down on 'em?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:30:28 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Deities
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:36:12 am »

I checked some of my dwarves (I have 200+ now, not easy to check them all) and I think there's around a dozen different gods that my dwarves worship, so making temples for each one is possible, might take a little while though.  I'm pretty sure they're all made/named/always existed anyway at world generation.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:50:52 am »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Anyway. Since the sacrificial alter is already kinda sorta not really set up (I just can't seem to make my fortresses pretty :( I make individual sections pretty, like housing, but not EVERYTHING fit together nicely). I just need to expand, knock out some floors, build a giant statue of an enthrone dwarven god who's eyes are bleeding magma into the ground. It shall be epic. OH! and seperate chambers for the various lesser gods in the pantheon.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:03:21 am »

Dwarfs (and humans) worship a pantheon. I'm not sure if there is a small (about half a dozen, I think) pantheon for each civ or if they all share one large pantheon.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:36:22 am »

I think it must be civilization, since when I look at it it says "Diety of <cuvilization name, (s)he sees over these things...."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:30:58 am »

So you can copy your DF folder, load up the copy, abandon, go into Legends and count the deities for your civ.  They should all be grouped together.  Or, just go through your dwarves; depends on how many you have.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:43 am »

As mentioned, legends mode shows you which gods and goddesses are in the world.

I've personally found that most of the time there are around 6 different gods in each fort, though they don't always seem to divide dwarves equally.

It does make for a good story if there's a dwarf worshipping a god of nature married to a dwarf worshipping a god of death.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)