Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunnel allows civilizations across barriers  (Read 776 times)

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tunnel allows civilizations across barriers
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »

I just found a site that touched two different continents (on a map I'd designed to have a lot of islands). Besides dwarves, one continent only had a goblin civ as neighbors and one only had elves. The site with an edge on each continent had both goblins and elves as neighbors.
I embarked there and dug a tunnel under the ocean. I put in a drainage system with pumps for good measure, since abandoned ocean sites have everything below sea level flooded.

It was just for laughs (or adventurers, I guess) but after I abandoned, I discovered that all parts of both continents now showed both goblins and elves as neighbors.

I wasn't sure whether this was because the game knew I made a tunnel, or just because the existence of the site itself connected the two continents. I found an area where a valley surrounded by mountains had no neighbors but dwarves, and found an area where the mountains were narrow and went across the middle of a region tile; I laid down a long, narrow site across the region tile and then abandoned. The valley now has access to all civs.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnel allows civilizations across barriers
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »

My big question is, do adjacent sites have the same effect?  If so, even across region tiles?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:03:10 am »

Wow... totally didn't know that this happened, the whole deal with being able to build large roads and such across the world map like is done during the world building process, is supposed to be an upcoming thing I thought...

this is freaking sweet if it's right though.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:25:22 am »

There are a few threads about connecting continents somewhere...

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 01:49:53 am »

I think you don't even need to make tunnels. Just an embark side at one side, then another opposite of it, and you're done.

Although I can't remember if the embark site size had anything to do with it. Well not like it matters, because it's a simple job of embarking&abandoning.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:48:55 am »

Yeah, an abandoned fortress tile on the world map can connect isolated areas.

You don't actually have to bridge the geographical barrier. Its fun to make a fortress that does though.