Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Awakening: Turn 13: Blood.  (Read 13587 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 12: Usurping the Gods {Signups Open}
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »

I was supposed to be the champion of the gods! That's what the divine retribution was all about! Now the demon-shifter gets their power? I rolled a 5 and nothing happened!?!
I rolled a 6.

Do what ever i can to help in the fight against The Sleeper, in my kidnapped state.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:40 pm »

I feel like I should do something productive, but nobody's hurt, and everybody is doing facinating stuff.

I'll practice sneaking some more. Being able to ninja-cure people from within a hostile crowd is a handy skill.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:23 pm »

I was supposed to be the champion of the gods! That's what the divine retribution was all about! Now the demon-shifter gets their power? I rolled a 5 and nothing happened!?!
I rolled a 6.[/b]
Isn't a 6 supposed to be worse than a 5? Were 5 is you did something perfectly, and 6 is you lost control?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:43 pm »

I rolled a 6.[/b]
Isn't a 6 supposed to be worse than a 5? Were 5 is you did something perfectly, and 6 is you lost control?
Yeah, I need to rework the mechanics. In a lot of RTDs a 6 is like a 5 but 'more awesome'.
I'm torn between either keeping it like that, or making a 6 have more disadvantages. As it stands, skills and the like give you a higher bonus to rolls.
I think I'll start doing a 'backfire' roll if you roll 6+ so the awesomeness is preserved but it's not all advantageous.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2009, 07:55:39 pm »

so you will change it to be a 4/6 chance of failing?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:34 pm »

RTD rolls should go like this

1. You accidently stab yourself in the arm
2. You miss
3. You knick the enemies armor
4. You get a hit in
5. You impale your enemy
6. You impale your enemy but lose your sword
7+. You do an awesome move where you chop off your enemies head.

I started sleeper as a useless guy who slept too much. Now he's an exorcist hunting down the demons that are ravaging a town. Awesome.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2009, 08:07:39 pm »

so you will change it to be a 4/6 chance of failing?
What do you mean? 3-6 are all successes. 3 & 4 are 'standard' successes, while 5 & 6 are 'super' successes. 3 and 6 normally have some negative consequences tied into them, making 4 and especially 5 the most desirable.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2009, 08:10:27 pm »

3 isn't really "success", it's more like "you took a step in the right direction".
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2009, 08:24:54 pm »

Rashilul, lets say you rolled a 5, and you were skilled at sword-fighting giving you a plus one. why would you lose your sword, and someone that is unskilled not?

Six should be you cutting your enemy in a pattern, it kills him but you find out said pattern is the swastika of this world and everyone hates you now.

7 and up should be as good as possible with No side effects.

Unless your killing a guard or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:26:46 pm by realmfighter »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2009, 09:23:27 pm »

It's an RTD. Then you need to roll a 4(+1) instead of a 5(+1). You still have the same chance of getting everything except now you have access to 7, which I may have over-powered a bit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:58:47 pm by Rashilul »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2009, 11:23:15 pm »

How about the skill modifiers are either towars or away from 5, so if you get a skill bonus of sword fighting and roll a 4 you get (4 + 1) but if you roll 6 you get (6 - 1).
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2009, 11:34:23 pm »

How about the skill modifiers are either towars or away from 5, so if you get a skill bonus of sword fighting and roll a 4 you get (4 + 1) but if you roll 6 you get (6 - 1).

That defeats the whole point of rolling a 6.

As I've learned in my own RTD that I hosted, when 1s' and 6s' come around(occasionally other numbers) there needs to be bad effects. Otherwise the game just ends up being rather dull, and drags on for a while... which bores both the players and the GM.

In my next RTD I'm considering using a higher dice than a d6. Maybe a d16 or d15. That way I can have some truly nasty things happen on the bad rolls, truly awesome things on the good ones, but those occurences would be much less common than with a d6.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2009, 03:42:58 am »

Wow, just read through all that, and I must say, Apost, you have quite the skill in writing.  If your signups are still open, I'd like to apply:

Name: Raphael
Appearance: A bald man, of medium height.  His dark tan accentuates his grey eyes.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2009, 03:48:33 am »

Wow, just read through all that, and I must say, Apost, you have quite the skill in writing.  If your signups are still open, I'd like to apply:

Name: Raphael
Appearance: A bald man, of medium height.  His dark tan accentuates his grey eyes.
Thanks; accepted.
I'll probably have the next turn up tonight; I'm juggling a few things right now so I can't update as frequently as I'd like.

Since I have no idea how long the current scenario is going to continue, I'm going to put all of the new players into a separate instanced area similar to the beginning 'cube', so they can still do things while waiting for the main group to finish up.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 13: Usurping the Gods {Signups Open}
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2009, 02:10:05 am »

Spoiler: Rolls! (click to show/hide)
Turn 13: Blood.
The words of mortals rarely stir gods…

Even as the ground shook, as blood-curdling screams sounded, a lone surgeon stood resolute. The euphoria surrounding his recent exploits faded and he wasn’t quite sure what to do. Returning to his roots, he drew his shiv. Not as a tool of healing, but as a weapon of hurt!

With the aid of his recently acquired cloak, he was able to perfect his sneaking. With a few waves of his arm and some dramatic wind, he could easily mask most of his actions. Be it theft or assassination, all manners of subterfuge would henceforth be easier.

Meanwhile, Korbin was working furiously. The putrid stench of burst boils and stagnant pus was quite off-putting, however.  Using his spear, he began to sketch out a circular pattern in the soft-wood floor surrounding the mayor’s bed. As this was happening, the countless servants watched in horror. They weren’t trained in combat, and the man before them was armed. Even the mayor himself opened a single swollen eye, looking suspiciously at the purple-haired man who had burst into his room.

This was all interrupted, of course, by the sound of screaming. The sound of organs falling to the ground, liquefying – all manners of ridiculous things. Something bad was clearly happening, though exactly what, Korbin couldn’t say. His contemplations were interrupted by an enraged scream.

“BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!”
Dragnar yelled these words as loudly as he could. The piles of bodies in the barracks didn’t react. Even the men who were struggling to stay alive seemed to ignore him. At first, all was silent. Then, it happened…

The wrestler was the first to go. *Pop*. He had simply exploded, spewing entrails in every direction. The rest of the soldierse followed suit, and their blood ran thick. It was quite a marvel; the crimson liquid had reached up to Dragnar’s knees by the time it settled. As the wooden beds and the white sheets were stained quite badly, he considered his options. He noted that his throat was a little sore, but nothing else of no—Auugh!

Dragnar resists the urge to spontaneously explode! Some strange energy seemed to rush through him and his left side began to swell dramatically! He could feel the blood inside his body being pushed outward, pressing against his skin. Only by strength of will was he able to hold himself together. Seems like he’ll have a little trouble carrying anything in his left hand, though. Some of his fingers had swollen to twice their original size.

Glass fragments in the eye: not a problem. When the wound begins to spew blood, however…
Sleeper was surprised by what he saw – rightly so. The dead bodies around him were… dissolving? Or rather, falling apart. Many of the people who Frederick saved seemed to explode for no apparent reason. More perplexing, still, was what happened afterward. Their blood was flying around, sweeping through the streets. It was all being collected into a huge ball several hundred meters above the city.

With every minute, the Blood God grew stronger. His power was absolute; even the void that had become the sky shifted to a crimson colour to reflect the inevitable madness that would ensue. In an instant, the sphere of blood fell apart. It drenched the city and its citizens; it stained the land.  In front of Sleeper, a humanoid shape began to form. It wasn’t huge — it stood at a mere 6 feet.  It wouldn’t have even been menacing, save for the fact that it was completely comprised of blood.

Was Sleeper intimidated? Not at all. At last, he had an enemy to face, and a strong one, too. With a flourish, his blade cut effortlessly through the air.
“You shouldn’t exist here. Not yet.”
The God of Blood looked on in shock.
“Mayhem, chaos! These simple ideas are the basis of the universe, and where they exist, I, Armok, shall follow!”
Tentacles rushed forth; not even tentacles, but soupy messes of appendages. They enveloped Sleeper, dragging him under, into the street of blood. When he should’ve hit the ground, he kept going, further under. Fires raged but the blood held strong! Armok’s grip never falters.

A woman’s shriek echoed throughout a seemingly empty hall. She had been brought here by a mysterious hand of stone but precisely how and why eluded her. Triad had sought only to eliminate Sleeper. His abilities weren’t physically possible and furthermore, they went against the natural laws! She took on the task of exterminator herself, pledging to purge the unwanted being.
“Let me fight him! I will destroy that wretched soul; I will hold his life in my hands, I will laugh! I will tear it from his very body and torture it for all eternity!”

Of course, the gods heard this. Triad certainly had… motivation. Their reasoning was simple: to arrange a battle. Sleeper sought to become a god, and Triad fought to stop him… and so it began.

Within moments, a gaping hole opened, swallowing Triad completely. She fell for what seemed like ages before she finally lost consciousness. When she awoke, she found herself standing in a puddle of blood! Looking around, she could see vast walls surrounding her, outstretched. She was in the centre of an arena  — a coliseum. Sleeper stood opposite her, equally confused. Intestines, kidneys; organs of all sorts seemed to drift around. A voice boomed.
“Thou both challenge the Gods! There can be only one victor! Whoever shall win, ascension awaits!”

Inside the cement bunker.

-   “Augh, damn! Did someone stab me or somethin’?!”
Alfie, Makaar, Raphael. All were chosen for some reason or another, and there they lay. The man in the trenchcoat let out a slight groan of pain while the others remained still. Both Makaar and Raphael struggled to regain their senses – they had been deprived of them for so long… so very long.

Spoiler: Statuses & Inventory! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Now, it's important to note that I had intended a fairly realistic setting, almost. Maybe an alternate reality to Earth or something. You'd be given missions and moral choices, plunged into scenarios, etc. Then The Computer would analyze what you did, ask, "Why?" and ultimately consider why he continued to keep you entrapped.

Your goal was, of course, to escape. Presumably by convincing The Computer that keeping you was morally wrong, or boring, or something. Sadly you, the players, have wrenched the plot from my hand. You've taken it upon yourself to create a world filled with ridiculous things as I, the writer, struggle to produce plausible reasons for what is happening.

So I've settled upon a final solution of sorts which will hopefully satisfy you. (Not that you read RTDs for the plot or anything, though..);
Instead of this being a story filled to the brim with tough moral choices, it's going to inevitably devolve into badassery. Not that that's a bad thing.

I'm throwing physics out of the window here along with practical science. The laws will shift according to the whims of the dice.

Anything goes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:21:28 am by Apostolic Nihilist »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9