Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Awakening: Turn 13: Blood.  (Read 13607 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 08: Murder.
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 07:12:20 pm »

Instead, I will try and convince Korbin to make it look like I defeated him. If that fails I will join him in his pointless slaughter of guardsmen!
Being in a trance, I doubt many words would be able to come through. Better if you go with the second option.

Remaining in my trance, hurl one of the dropped swords at the archers. Then focus on the approaching guardsmen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:16:58 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 12:30:23 am »

I'll update tomorrow (or rather, tonight, as it's already 2:30 AM where I am); I'm feeling sort of out of it right now. Unless you really want an update; then I'll hammer out something (though you can't really expect quality work, but it's not like you were getting that in the first place :-\).

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:43 am »

I'll update tomorrow (or rather, tonight, as it's already 2:30 AM where I am); I'm feeling sort of out of it right now. Unless you really want an update; then I'll hammer out something (though you can't really expect quality work, but it's not like you were getting that in the first place :-\).

We can wait(or at least I can). I know what you mean by feeling out of it; the last thing I want is an update filled with "Nothing Happens". Though that was kind of funny. 

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 09: History has been changed.
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls! (click to show/hide)
Turn 09: History has been changed.
What changes will these actions bring forth?

As the last of the serfs returned home, Frederick sighed. His actions would have far-reaching consequences, he knew this.  Trepidations discarded, he focused on exactly what would change. He didn’t need to be a history major to understand that this world would be warped. The serfs would survive, along with the Feudal System.

Or would it? Perhaps their leader’s actions during this time would incite a slave’s rebellion of sorts. While historically, the sudden decrease in population brought about an ultimately better social system, painful changes ran amok during the transition. Knowledge was lost and regained, only to be lost once again. Society crumbled, but a new one was built atop the ruins of the old. Even when crushed, human spirit and will stood up once again; they rebuilt their towers, cities, roads, and ultimately progressed. Moving forward was all that could be done.

Frederick had robbed this world of such a thing. He had stopped the virus before it could spread, before civilization gave way. Instead of dealing with the conflict themselves, an unknown savior had appeared. Fate progressed linearly, change needn’t be ushered forth. The status quo was maintained. At the very least, this was one possibility. But as we all know, fate is fickle. What is expected is not always what occurs…

Studies on human culture, they were meaningless to some. Sleeper was included in that ‘some’. He never cared much for history, nor for people. Day in, day out, his life was mediocre. Always the same. It always was, always should’ve been. Until the door was opened. That cold concrete floor — he would never forget it. It might be a dream… but it was a dream he didn’t want to wake up from.

This world was perfect, it was ideal. Sleeper was everything he wanted to be, everything he could hope to be. His coworkers weren’t here. His boss wasn’t here. This world was Sleeper’s dreams made manifest; freedom was presented to him, and he reached forth, grasping it for the first time in his life. His eyes turned towards his left hand. He had smashed it into an unrecognizable mess, but the pain didn’t feel real. The blood was there, of course, but he could pretend it wasn’t.

“The pain isn’t there. The wound isn’t there. It was never there.”
Sleeper forged onward, treating this reality as a dream. He tried to attain lucidity. Bending reality, forcing it to adhere to his will. Fate itself was within his reach if he could attain such power. He imagined his hand recovering. The bones, regenerating, and his flesh returning to normal. No matter how hard he wished, no matter how hard he concentrated, reality remained still. The world was unchanged.

Shouts echoed within Triad. They tore at her heart. Claws reached around it, tightening their grip. She clenched her teeth, bearing the pain, until she could bear it no longer.  The wails of demons rang through her, every moment she was tortured by the sound of thousands of souls, begging for death. The pain swallowed her whole, and she gave herself to it. Letting herself be taken, her eyes closed and her consciousness faded.

The gates of Hell itself had opened. An eternity of hatred surged through the woman and her actions reflected this. Her physical body knew no limits, no bounds. Havoc was wrought, lives were lost, fear, instilled. Even her form had changed. What was once elegant had become despicable, violent, and brutal. Her movements were focused on inflicting pain, not something as petty as incapacitation. Bones were left broken as her victims lay helplessly on the ground. No one dared stand up to her.

When she awoke from her demonic trance, what befell her eyes was simply tragedy. Under the light of the moon, silhouettes were vaguely visible. Peasants lay, scattered, bones jutting out from their joints. Faces plastered with looks of horror, all trained on her. Their eyes were dull and empty. This wasn’t what she had wanted…

Shaking off the feelings of misery, Dragnar approached Korbin. Everyone around him was slowly breaking down. Perhaps he was no different. Such thoughts were unproductive, yet they filled him. He couldn’t think of anything else. It was possible that his own sanity was slipping away, and he could do nothing to stop the gradual slide. He could already see it beginning its descent, distancing itself from him. How much time did he have left?

He stood, paralyzed, unable to progress. As much as he willed his legs to move, they remained frozen mid-step. A battle was raging, within his own mind. His quarrel was with none other than himself, and it was a conflict fought for his soul. Everything he had done and everything he had accomplished; all was tested. The loss of such a struggle could prove fatal.

Korbin wasn’t sane. At first, this ‘trance’ he entered heightened his senses. It allowed him to evaluate the battlefield and determine optimal actions to take. All that it asked in return was concentration, a clear mind, things Korbin provided gladly. Yet his actions of late had exceeded human ability. No mortal could possibly attain such power.

Realization dawned. This was not strength Korbin had gathered by himself but strength he was borrowing. From who, he didn’t concern himself with. It was power, and he would use it. A slight glint was all that could be seen, and within seconds a sword had cloven through two archers. Threat number one eliminated.

The swordsmen approached Korbin clumped together, all struggling to retain their balance. A single retreating guard was all that had been needed to send them toppling off the wall. Two had cleared the wall completely and a third held on by but the fingers of his left hand. The offending guardsman had already made his way off the wall, retreating back into the safe alcove that was the barracks.

Spoiler: Statuses & Inventory! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

...I'm probably not going to make another update like this, this was just an experiment. I'll return to my usual style of writing next turn. I have a rather large English assignment coming up soon, so updates will be shorter for a while.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:03:30 pm by Apostolic Nihilist »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 09: History has been changed. {Signups open}
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 09:41:02 pm »

Be the one.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »

While screaming, persuade the vagabonds to attack the town hall using the power of Satan! If i'm attacked, turn into a demon-spawn.
RAAAWWWR

Am i still a freaky demon-spawn?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:45:42 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 09:44:21 pm »

Not right now. You're just a normal human.

You can roll to return to that form if you want to.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 10:23:44 pm »

Snap out of it and kill any guards Korbin missed.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 10:26:21 pm »

Now that the guard is demoralized and scattered, I make my way to the very grand, opulent mansion and search for the mayor.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2009, 06:14:18 am »

Stand, and somehow find Sleeper. There is only one possible action a doctor can take upon finding somebody with a mangled hand.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:44 am »

Stand, and somehow find Sleeper. There is only one possible action a doctor can take upon finding somebody with a mangled hand.
Amputate?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:32 am »

That's for the dice to decide.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »

I would like to point out that killing everyone isnt
" Stalk, single out then kill a beggar in a alley way, write on the wall...

"Beware, pitiful beggars. your doom has come."

kill all witnesses, let someone else report it to the general population of beggars."

Not saying a demonic possession isn't awesome. but really?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:14 pm »

I would like to point out that killing everyone isnt
" Stalk, single out then kill a beggar in a alley way, write on the wall...

"Beware, pitiful beggars. your doom has come."

kill all witnesses, let someone else report it to the general population of beggars."

Not saying a demonic possession isn't awesome. but really?
It was a 6, and I needed something spiffy to write. Besides, your character always seems to randomly attack people for no apparent reason, so I figured it fits quite well.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2009, 05:40:34 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls! (click to show/hide)
Turn 10: Casual Reality Bending?
Ridiculous!

“SAAAAAATAAAAAAAN!!”
With a heroic scream, Triad gathered the remaining rabble. Or rather, she would’ve, but most were dead. Those that weren’t were too scared to join her. Allowing the demons within to feast upon her soul, she charged at the town hall alone, smashing through the huge wall with little effort. The wall crumbled, crushing whoever was standing nearby. It was now that Triad realized she had less control over her actions in this state than she would like; she tried to direct herself towards the mansion, planning to wreak havoc there, only to find that her arms and legs were quite content with destroying the surrounding buildings.

Reality; what is it? What defines it? Sleeper pondered. How were the ridiculous things occurring around him possible? It couldn’t be real. Every one of his senses screamed that it was, but he ignored them. He disregarded his feeling and thought; he considered.
“Is it… belief? If people truly believe themselves capable of doing extraordinary, are they possible in this world?”
“No, that can’t be. Things vary too much. This world seems to be based around probability. If I could control chance itself, I could control everything that happens. Everything… that ever will happen.”
Sleeper continued.
“It’s possible, I know it is. This world is run by numbers; all I have to do is reach out and touch them… wind them around my fingers, distort the flow…”
Sleeper stretched out his badly mangled hand. The flow accepted it, it enveloped it. The flow itself lent Sleeper its power. His right hand began to glow green, signifying his newly gained ability.

Frederick was, of course, watching all of this. He had found Sleeper a little bit earlier and found his external monologue too interesting to interrupt. Shock doesn’t quite describe the feeling Frederick felt; somehow, he had expected that something like this would eventually occur. The world seemed to bend to the whims of those inside it. Someone would’ve broken it eventually…

Even as the stone wall fell, Korbin kept his cool. He leapt from section to section before finally arriving at the mansion itself. He stood on the roof, and was faced with several potential methods of entry: a grandiose chimney, an opulent balcony, and several gold-rimmed windows. Some would inherently be more intimidating than other, and some were perhaps more stealthy.

Dragnar grew tired of quarrelling with himself. Just as he considered defeat, the stone beneath his feet began to crumble. Dragnar took advantage of this sudden development, forcibly taking control of his mind once again. Shrapnel peppered him from behind, shredding his trousers. Before the stairs had time to collapse, Dragnar rush down to ground level, headed straight for the barracks. Drawing his blade, he kicked down the door. The noseless  man need simply grin; clouds of dust followed him inside. Soldiers who thought themselves to be dreaming let out a scream, while others drew their swords and readied their pikes, preparing for melee.

Spoiler: Statuses & Inventory! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

This update is shorter than I would've liked it to be. Way shorter. I'll be back to the lengthier style by Friday; I don't have much time right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9