Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Awakening: Turn 13: Blood.  (Read 13591 times)

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 05: The Birth of a Surgeon
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 01:14:58 am »

Spoiler: Rolls! (click to show/hide)

Turn 05: The Birth of A Surgeon
Scars needn't always be the mark of ineptitude.

Having a spear stuck inside one's lung must be quite painful indeed. Our own 'skilled martial artist' cannot do much but bellow in pain. Now, questioning the thinking behind this move will likely not get you anywhere. As she inhales, air is pulled in through the wound! Triad doesn't seem to notice or care, and she continues sucking in air through her collapsed lung! She tries to scream. The human diaphragm truly is a wonderful organ. As it compresses, it sends a blast of air through her lungs, sending the spear flying out at a dangerous velocity! Korbin, still holding onto the spear, is taken aback by this sudden push! He barely manages to retain possession of the spear. A bloody mist shoots forth from the wound! Korbin is now covered in blood.

Meanwhile, Sleeper continues his drunken shenanigans. Believing himself to be a dragon (or perhaps in the circus?) he tries to blow fire out of his mouth! Not even the slightest amount of heat is created. Instead, Dragnar was attacked by a vicious miasma, as the stench blows throughout the small armoury. Perhaps if Sleeper had some method of producing flame, this 'technique' would be easier to perform. The effects of the alcohol are starting to wear off, however, and Sleeper begins to experience a pounding headache. It may be possible to delay it if he were to drink more...

Dragnar, undeterred by Sleeper's rotten breath, continues his search around the armoury. He notices in the corner, there are several armour stands. Iron chainmail is draped over them! There are about 6 pairs, all of varying quality. Picking out the nicest, Dragnar slides it on over his rags. Dragnar's appearance is slowly changing to that of a traveller! With a fine sword and some mismatched armour, others are surely going to look at him in a different way from now on. Only time will tell how long this facade will last...

Frederick subconsciously senses the pain of his comrade! Or, perhaps it was the sound of explosive decompression as Triad's lung rapidly propelled a spear out of itself. Either way, he had an idea where she was! Turning around, he dove dramatically back into the warehouse, rolling, while simultaneously drawing his shiv from his rags.
"I will operate at once, madam!"
His receding orange hair seemed to shine with pride and courage, and he started work at once! With a few quick cuts, he had strategically removed portions of cloth from his own rags, and begin to tie it into a makeshift bandage! However, the medical prodigy would not stop here; this was but a temporary measure! Rushing to one end of the room, he began to rummage through boxes, looking for something to close off the wound. He found a small square of leather, and a sewing kit! With surgical precision, he covered the gaping hole with leather and then stitched it in, securing it. Triad was unshaken by all of this, merely standing in awe at the doctor's skill. With a bow, Frederick retreated to the other edge of the room, deciding what to do next.

Korbin nods his head slowly, trying to comprehend what has happened. In under 20 seconds, the situation changed from him holding a bloody rocket-propelled spear facing a gaping hole in the chest cavity of his sparring partner, to his sparring partner standing in the middle of the room as a mysteriously skilled surgeon barged in, closing the wound with leather of all things. Why didn't he just stitch it shut?! Leather will probably just cause an infection or something anyways, not to mention using that antiquated sewing set... regaining his senses, Korbin decides to ignore what has just happened and walks out of the door, headed for the armoury. Once there, he finds himself a nice chainmail shirt and puts it on.
Spoiler: Statuses & Inventory! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Probably some errors. I'll try to maintain this pace of updating throughout the week, let's see how I can hold out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:53:30 am by Apostolic Nihilist »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 05: The Birth of A Surgeon
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 01:22:38 am »

Get chain mail and a karate spear

(karate spears use the karate skills and the spear skills mean, and i get skill in karate and spear when using it.)

basically, a spear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJis7VvORY
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:31:06 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 02:49:18 am »

FIND MORE BOOZE! CARRY AROUND AN EXTRA SUPPLY!
By the end of this we're all going to be some kind of karate stereotype and it will be glorious.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:58:06 am by Rashilul »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 06:10:53 am »

Strike a menacing pose.
Strike a medical pose.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 09:17:32 am »

Clean off the blood, then stealthily make my way towards the nice gated village, looking for anything of interest.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 05: The Birth of a Surgeon
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 05:17:52 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls! (click to show/hide)

Turn 06: A Noseless Intimidator!?
Smell is important, too.

Water begins to trickle from the smoky-grey sky. Over the past hour, the colour of the sky has been shifting. A storm is coming. The people in the slums don’t care; their lives are soaked with despair. Rain needn’t affect them. The spontaneous group of adventurers, on the other hand…

The balding up-and-coming surgeon, Frederick, ignores the humid atmosphere! He walks out of the warehouse and onto the streets, and, noting the depressed peasants, decides to cheer them up.  Tugging on his invisible gloves, he loudly states (in an offensive accent, no less),
“Anuzha successful procedure!” At first, it seemed as if the onlookers were shocked — horrified, even. Yet they did not let out an angry shout... their faces showed not anger, but awe. They were genuinely impressed with Frederick’s skills. 

Perhaps  the sight of a significantly bloodied Triad strolling out of the nearby warehouse, a leather patch clearly visible, sutured into her skin, was what truly drove the peasants to believe in Frederick. They had seen neither true surgery, nor true medicine before. What the priests had concocted over the years was hardly a science, be it blood-letting or leeching.  Frederick’s prowess was godlike to them.
For the first time in the months since the plague had arrived, the citizens could honestly hope for a cure; a prodigy was there, right before their eyes! Incredulous looks followed Frederick everywhere he went, and in time, an orphaned child worked up the courage to speak to this brilliant man,
“Can… you save us? “, he stuttered, awaiting a response from Frederick. His siblings looked on with eyes that were blazing with aspiration.

While this heartwarming scene was happening, Triad was continuing on with her business; specifically, acquiring a weapon and armor.  Perhaps she was fueled by revenge, or maybe she truly thought nothing of the recent attack from Korbin. Maybe her mind was too focused on violence to care about peaceful solutions to anything; the true motive behind her actions remains unknown. Entering into the armoury, she grabbed a wooden staff along with some chainmail. Spinning the spear as a baton, she realized that using it in combat was similar to the martial arts she had practiced earlier. It would be easy to adapt her learned techniques! She was, however, upset by a drunken fool master rushing out of the building quickly!

Sleeper hungered. He hungered for alcohol. Driven forth by just the burning passion in his heart (and fear of an alcohol-induced migraine), he broke out into a sprint! Within a minute, he had located a tavern! Though it was in disrepair, he didn’t concern himself with such trivial matters. Busting down the stone wall with his head, he entered and began to pound on the ground, attempting to determine where the cellar was. The floor collapsed! Amidst the rubble and dust, he couldn’t see much… but he did vaguely make out the glint of a bottle of wine.

Jumping to his feet, he charged at the bottle! By the time his eyes adjusted to the low-light conditions of the cellar, he was truly amazed at what he had found. Bottles of wine everywhere, all on racks; there must’ve been at least 90 of them. This was not what surprised him, however. Behind the wine, there were several large wooden kegs, undoubtedly filled to the brim with booze. Salivating madly, Sleeper tore a length of rope off the wall and picked up one of the kegs. He attached  it to his back using the rope, providing a significant source of booze should he ever run dry!

Supply: secured. Engage refilling.
Sleeper was ecstatic about this turn of events, so ecstatic, in fact, that he decided to drain an entire keg. Tearing the lid off the closest, using all his might, he lifted it up to his lips and drained it. Every last drop.  Yes, 50 liters of beer. No, this shouldn’t be possible. Enough said.

Dragnar is fortunately far away from this hell of impossibilities and unlikelihoods. He resides safely within the walls of his own mind. Perhaps his proximity to the armoury’s thick walls helps this. Closing his eyes, trying to pretend he’s not in such a terrible situation, he begins to swing his sword. Wildly at first, trying to get a feel for the weight of the blade. The word ‘caution’ doesn’t seem to mean anything to Dragnar, as he haphazardly lops off his nose. He now has an exceptionally scary face as well as a heavily bleeding hole where his nose used to be. Fortunately the nose itself is still intact, albeit on the ground.  Dragnar grits his teeth and endures the pain quite well.

Meanwhile, a stealthy, ragged spearman sneaks around the city, paying great attention to everything he sees. His movements are slow, careful, cautious, and he slowly inches his way towards the only location with any sort of culture. He is, of course, stopped in his tracks by meters high stone walls, and an iron gate blocks the only entrance. Guards and crossbowmen patrol the walls regularly, so breaking in would be an uphill battle. Suddenly remembering the need to clean his spear, he checks it, only to notice that the rain has washed the blood off! What convenient timing.

Spoiler: Statuses & Inventory! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Bah, this turn was a bit long. Do you guys prefer longer or shorter turns?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:20:11 pm by Apostolic Nihilist »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening: Turn 06: A Noseless Intimidator!?
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 05:33:24 pm »

I was sure I posted an action... oh well.

I re-attach my nose through sheer force of will!!!

I will try to stop the bleeding while searching for some greaves, no injury matters as long as I have more than 0 hitpoints!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CriticalExistenceFailure
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 05:40:48 pm »

Go to the Street, And hire them some of the various orphans and homeless people to become my lacke- compadres with a rousing speech. Use connection with Fredrick to my advantage.

Longer? As in RW time, or in writing?

http://kylegabler.com/WorldOfGooSoundtrack/ = Awsome
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:46:49 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 05:44:43 pm »

I prefer longer turns, and really like this turn style, if you can keep it up without burning out.
I'm scared of the headache.

"I can't ... it's ... well, you see ... Aw, fine. Of course I'll find a cure."
Invent antibiotics.

Edit - Anyone want to help? We'd probably have a significant amount of beggars to help with the objective if we break the space-time continuum with antibiotics.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:51:05 pm by Nirur Torir »

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 05:46:33 pm »

As in, writing. I'm trying to churn out updates as fast as I can and still maintain my sanity, while balancing quality. If I do shorter updates I can update more frequently, but then there's always the problem of "How short is too short?"; it's okay as it is, I'd say, with the length corresponding to the importance of actions, but I'm still trying to strike a good balance. If anyone has any suggestions, go ahead and post!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 05:49:07 pm »

Do it as fast as you can, while still being good.

Keep it down to one paragraph per person, unless something Really important happened. In the last update, you had 9 Paragraphs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:51:47 pm by realmfighter »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »

Drunken master boogie over to the peasants, then impress them with tales of my intoxication.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:50:33 pm by Rashilul »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »

Go to the Street, And hire them some of the various orphans and homeless people to become my lacke- compadres with a rousing speech. Use connection with Fredrick to my advantage.
I bet they'd be much more willing to sacrifice themselves for our gain if you helped me play with mold. For science!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:46 pm »

How about we get them to join us, and then use them a Guinea pigs to make the antibiotics?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:27 pm »

Why bother with that, though? They already believe Fredrick to be the only hope they have of solving their problems. If he gives them mold juice and tells them it's the cure, somebody will surely be brave stupid desperate enough to drink it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9