Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: well the first idea crashed  (Read 1257 times)

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
well the first idea crashed
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:22:47 pm »

My first hermit idea just crashed and burned. I was using the MayDay graphics pack and the entire game stopped working. I lost the world gens to.

So this is going to be 100% original graphics.

One dwarf, One mega project to top all megaprojects.

The Dwarf: I am going to try and get him legendary in everything except some of the social skills (obviously), and have him, alone, construct a solo mega project.

The Project: A above ground image of a dwarf with magma that will flow from various parts of the body, and will be in a dramatic pose. (Please suggest a pose. Something other than giving the bird or mooning.)

The dwarf will be named. Bob.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: well the first idea crashed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:27:33 pm »

just an Fyi: the first part has already been done before,

See:morul
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Morul

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:33:41 pm »

A cameo of the original hermit should be the image.

A dwarf hugging a kitten.

Or for a harder image:

A dwarf grinning maniacally as she flips a lever back and forth.
Bonus points for using flowing water to animate the picture.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:35:05 pm »

See also: One dwarf against the world.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:49:44 pm »

A dwarf lying on his back inhaling a keg of magma booze.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »

I know its been done before. I'm sure most of the hermit ideas have been done before.

However Morul was just legendary in all the stats, and the one dwarf against the world didn't legendary everything (except story :D)

Also I don't believe anyone has done a solo dwarf to try, and make a giant forever spewing magma effigy dwarf to slay the legions that WILL be coming to kill him.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:29:43 pm »

So, im sitting filthy rich on a pile of dead immigrants clothing (they finally stopped after I incinerated a double immigrant wave of 50 total).

I embarked on a map where flux was under THREE aquifers. So I put their clothing to good use. Not only is the stock shrinking, and the trader skills going through the roof, but I also have a goal.

I'm going to build the megaproject entirely out of STEEL.

All im missing is bauxite.

Modify: I spoke to soon, more immigrants. TWENTY more.

Modify again: ANOTHER immigrant wave. I've either created a penal colony or dwarfs are greedy for dead dwarf clothing. I can't open the hatches outside without them rushing in.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:54:35 pm by UndergroundTree »

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:20 pm »

I must announce that i have given up on this idea.

While everything was going good
the CONSTANT 24 immigrant waves (twice a season) were hard to deal with. They constantly ate all my food. Even though I got the dwarf caravan to constantly bring me dozens worth in steel bars. Even with finding a major bauxite load. Even with 500 dwarfs dead (Im not making that number up, in fact its probably far far to low). Even with the elves first sent home penniless then murdered by goblins. Even with the one dwarf I had chosen having taken down 20 goblin crossbowers and getting a iron bolt in the leg. It was finally the last wave that put me over 80 dwarfs (the previous THREE waves hadn't even starved off yet and were STILL moving all the lost items into a surface depot. It was literally taking two seasons just to clear out one season's worth of immigrants and ambush items so I could trade for steel)

The instant i hit 80. Siege time. i didn't feel like zerg rushing them.

But the steel dream lives on. Only in a full fortress. I shall one day attempt to reclaim the solo mega project. But without being able to get endless steel and bauxite underground I will be forced to endure immigrants.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:19 pm »

WTF? were you producing so much awesom dwarfs didnt mind ALL THE DEATH?  I mean SERIOUSLY you've killed so many imagrants your place shoulda been blacklisted FOREVER.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:34:40 pm »

Of course you could also just lower the population cap, which will prevent further immigrants. If you want small, manageable population but still allow it to grow, change the birth rate and allowed number of children. This will give you a (very, very) slow rate of growth without the need for immigrants.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:51:47 pm »

Couldnt he just then reduct it all to like 1 population to keep his one 'solo' dude and just not allow anyone else? If its all the same basic concept.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 03:27:48 am »

I needed all the dead immigrants early on for the easy money their clothing gave (after they died). Then I needed 5 full time clothing haulers just so it didnt take a YEAR (im not joking about this) to haul all of the dead dorf cloths into bins, and to be able to get them to the depot before the caravan left.

Then after my number 1 loner gets wounded and the arrow stuck in the leg. then a siege. I said "BAH!" and left.

The endless steel mega magma beer barrel will live! I promise though. I just need a suitable location...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 03:46:14 am »

Why didn't you just leave the clothing forbidden?
At worst, a kobold steals it and you have a bunch of archers that will kill immigrants for you.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:23:44 am »

I needed all the dead immigrants early on for the easy money their clothing gave (after they died). Then I needed 5 full time clothing haulers just so it didnt take a YEAR (im not joking about this) to haul all of the dead dorf cloths into bins, and to be able to get them to the depot before the caravan left.

Then after my number 1 loner gets wounded and the arrow stuck in the leg. then a siege. I said "BAH!" and left.

The endless steel mega magma beer barrel will live! I promise though. I just need a suitable location...

You could have got the immigrants to wall in the hermit and trade depot, have him construct a drawbridge system inside to keep him separated while allowing wagons in, then remove the wall blocking the wagons route.  Also I'm not 100% sure but items that are distance 0 from the depot don't need to be hauled there to trade, so you could have them mass dump clothes from a platform above the depot, then unforbid them. Also, a group of starving dwarves stationed outside the depot is a good arrow magnet.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:43 am »

Clearly, hundreds of dwarves set out simply to spite you.
Pages: [1] 2