Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Hey, FOX is making a new movie! Wait, what?  (Read 9274 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, FOX is making a new movie! Wait, what?
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2009, 07:31:32 am »

The thread is about a Spore movie. Someone mentioned that it would have to be a happy funtime kiddie movie.

I'm just confused as to why you seem to think that how you play the game has any relevance to what the movie is going to be like.  It seemed clear that your post was a direct response to mine, and in disagreement with my assertion that the it would be a kiddy movie.  Let's look at the facts.

The game was originally meant to be more mature than it ended up being.  It was deliberately dumbed down and made more cutesy to increase it's mass market appeal.  The movie itself is being created by the people most famous for Ice Age, a kiddie movie about sentient, English speaking prehistoric animals who join together despite the fact that they should be killing and eating each other in order to return a child of a tribe of primitive humans to her family.  FOX is footing the bill.  By all this evidence it seems safe to induce that Spore will be a kiddy flick.

It's all well and good to share how you play your game, but if you're doing it in a way that isn't commonplace then assuming that the movie will reflect your particular is just plain delusional.  Or do you have some other reason for thinking this?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:03 am »

Remember, www.bay12games.com/armok/ had some/all the abilities of spore, but it was VIOLENT.

Someone should make a move out of an extrapolation of what it would be like in version 1.0 with modern graphics and no bugs.

You know every current horror film? Would be mild in comparison!
Eh?
Eh!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2009, 08:38:47 am »

First off, was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie really that bad? I distinctly remember the falling whale scene being one of the funniest things I've ever watched.

Second, I really hope that the makers of this movie throw us a curveball and make it about a race of demonic (possibly phallic?) overlords as they conquer and enslave the galaxy, and their battles with the even more powerful Grox for a small cluster of stars, including our tiny Earth, where we must team up with the lesser of two evils to destroy the Grox in return for being enslaved rather than outright destroyed.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2009, 10:11:24 am »

I found the Hithhiker's Guide movie to be fantastic.  I do, however, see how it might have been confusing to anyone who had not read the books, and disappointing for anyone who was expecting a direct book-to-movie conversion.  I also concede that some of the humor works much better in literary format than in film.  But really, I laughed the whole way through, and while the storyline was changed, I thought the movie kept to the original spirit and style of humor that the books had, and that made it worth watching.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2009, 10:16:45 am »

I quite liked the radio series, although that was basically just another series of books.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2009, 10:22:13 am »

The thread is about a Spore movie. Someone mentioned that it would have to be a happy funtime kiddie movie.

I'm just confused as to why you seem to think that how you play the game has any relevance to what the movie is going to be like.  It seemed clear that your post was a direct response to mine, and in disagreement with my assertion that the it would be a kiddy movie.  Let's look at the facts.

The game was originally meant to be more mature than it ended up being.  It was deliberately dumbed down and made more cutesy to increase it's mass market appeal.  The movie itself is being created by the people most famous for Ice Age, a kiddie movie about sentient, English speaking prehistoric animals who join together despite the fact that they should be killing and eating each other in order to return a child of a tribe of primitive humans to her family.  FOX is footing the bill.  By all this evidence it seems safe to induce that Spore will be a kiddy flick.

It's all well and good to share how you play your game, but if you're doing it in a way that isn't commonplace then assuming that the movie will reflect your particular is just plain delusional.  Or do you have some other reason for thinking this?

It's not delusional, I just like to think that abominations against the universe are the majority of what comes out of the critter creator.

(so it's egotism. :( )
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2009, 10:35:23 am »

The movie should reflect on the community.

Just a bunch uncomfortably detailed penis monsters walking around and getting in trouble, maybe learning a life lesson at the end.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2009, 10:38:36 am »

Hah, see? I'm not the only one! :D

Although I never made penis monsters.

What the hell, community. What the hell.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2009, 10:40:05 am »

At least I haven't seen any attempts at DF style Tentacle Demons...

Yet.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:04 am »

This should be the main character

More than a year later and that still cracks me up.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:58 am »

That, too, is an abomination.

That's hilarious, and kinda pathetic the way he crabwalks around.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2009, 11:44:44 am »

Just a bunch uncomfortably detailed penis monsters walking around and getting in trouble, maybe learning a life lesson at the end.
Dude.

THEY DON'T EXIST.  Seriously.  You play that game, and you will probably never see a pneis monster.  Ever.  The online resevoir of creations is regulated - dick monster = banning.  Or at least the deletion of the creature.

With the sheer number of things done with it, I really don't think that the "average" spore creature would be definable as anything familiar to what we know.  So abominable monstrosities it is, then ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2009, 12:08:59 pm »

We'll probably never know since EA will never release a graph visualizing the "creative creature vs deleted dong monster" ratio.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2009, 01:47:31 pm »

I'm just confused as to why you seem to think that how you play the game has any relevance to what the movie is going to be like.

Yeah. Because otherwise, you'd be wasting the IP.

"Hello Rowling, I'm the famous Hollywood executive assigned to help you make this movie. I really like the idea of making million of dollars creating Harry Potter movies, but the books are apparently too focused on magicians and wizards. I don't think people want to watch magicians and wizards, so instead, we're going to set the movies in space and have Harry be a gun-slinging cowboy. That's okay with you, right, Rowling?

Rowling?"
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2009, 05:21:06 pm »

What?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7