Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Hey, FOX is making a new movie! Wait, what?  (Read 9271 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Hey, FOX is making a new movie! Wait, what?
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:51:21 pm »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6231262.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Oh dear sweet mother of god Mary and Joseph.  :(

*Hides under a desk*

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, FOX is making a new movie! Wait, what?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:57:55 pm »

"The greatest letdown of the gaming industry, now also in the movies!"
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:37:44 pm »

OH MY GOD...

The biggest letdown in the gaming industry gets made into a movie. I rather hit myself with a steel warhammer for 5 years than watch that.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:29:04 pm »

HOWISTHISEVENGONNAWORK-

ohgodIthinkmybrainexploded.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:36 pm »

This is from the same studio that thinks the Sims is movie-worthy material guise. Of course things get optioned all the time, it is far less common for a movie to actually materialize.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:30:03 pm »

There's also a Games Workshop-approved Ultramarines movie coming out, but it's 70 minutes long and going straight to video, so it's not a real movie.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:38:45 pm »

Y'know, I think it's quite possible to do a perfectly respectable WH40k movie.  You just need to strike the balance between humorously over-the-top action and a serious, compelling undercurrent.  You'd also need a budget from hell for all the digital enhancement and pyrotechnics for said over-the-top action.

But Spore?  No.  The Sims?  Only if someone stands on the fur rug, surrounded by chairs, and lights a fire in the fireplace.  ONLY then.  Or maybe if they jump into the pool and then the stepladder mysteriously disappears, causing them to slowly drown to death while the rest of the family howls from the edge of the pool.  Otherwise, it's a film about people being dull.  And that's just...  Inexcusable.

Not even Uwe Boll would do something this stupid.  I think that means he'll be losing his crown.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »

I don't get it. What's so horrible about tracing the evolutionary origins of a intergalactic empire that commits genocide for lulz?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »

The Ultramarines movie is CGI, which helps.

Someone somewhere said that a Warhammer 40k movie could work, but it would have to spotlight Imperial Guardsmen, because we would identify more with them.  The person put Tau as the enemy, again because they have motivations we could identify with.  Necron, Chaos, and the like are a bit too heavy for a public that's never had any experience with GRIMDARK
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 09:24:05 pm »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:27:16 pm »

JESUS CHRIST! OH MY FRICKEN LORD!
*Phantom has thrown a frag grenade into the past at the first person who thought of spore*

Well, we could always make a machinama. Maybe ASCII style.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »

Y'know, I think it's quite possible to do a perfectly respectable WH40k movie.  You just need to strike the balance between humorously over-the-top action and a serious, compelling undercurrent.  You'd also need a budget from hell for all the digital enhancement and pyrotechnics for said over-the-top action.
So we need Michael Bay? He is the only guy who could do a war scene epic enough.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:57:38 pm »

Semi-relevant. There was a joke a few months back about EA making a game based on Dante's Inferno. That looks like it might be a reality. The article linked in the OP says Fox is planning a DI movie, meaning the game would likely be based on it rather than the book.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 10:03:39 pm »

So we need Michael Bay? He is the only guy who could do a war scene epic enough.

Soft drink shoots out of WorkerDrone's mouth as he releases a hearty laughter.

I was JUST about to say that!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7