Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moody dwarf wants block  (Read 1788 times)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Moody dwarf wants block
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »

I started a fortress some hours ago, my craftdwarf goes moody(secretive) and then he "Sketches Pictures of Stacks of cloth" and "Sketches pictures of square blocks".
I have so many blocks, rock blocks, wooden blocks, (one) glass block, and lots of clothes, he already get the cloth , but didn't get any of the blocks,
please, answer me soon as possible!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Moody dwarf wants block
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:13 pm »

The blocks must be made of stone (as opposed to wood, metal, or glass), and they must not be stored inside a bin marked as forbidden (or themselves forbidden, but that should be fairly obvious).

Also, look at the items he's already collected and compare it to the full (and ordered) list of his demands. It's possible he's waiting on the cloth rather than the blocks, and a secretive dwarf will not indicate whether he wants plant fiber cloth or silk cloth.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:28 pm »

he already get his silk cloth... I just want to know about the block, but they use metal in clothier workshop?(sorry, I forgot to say the workshop)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:01:57 pm »

He might want more cloth and be unable to get it. He won't start collecting blocks until he's got all the cloth he needs.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:04:11 pm »

If a secretive dwarf wants "cloth, cloth, and blocks", will he draw not two pictures of cloth?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

will he draw not two pictures of cloth?
Since the game only displays one requirement at a time, its rather hard to tell. If you time how long it takes then the cloth would display longer, but its far from obvious.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:03:32 am »

If it's based on timing, it is quite obvious. The timing is not fps dependent, but runs about 2 seconds/item. If the diff between 2 seconds and 4 seconds isn't obvious to you, don't know what to tell ya.  :-\

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 11:49:46 am »

No one has really made this clear, but it's very important:

If he's STILL asking for cloth, he needs more cloth.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:16:48 pm »

No one has really made this clear, but it's very important:

If he's STILL asking for cloth, he needs more cloth.

Not true - moody dwarves constantly repeat all of the things they need, even if they've already collected some of them.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 01:27:53 am »

moody dwarves constantly repeat all of the things they need, even if they've already collected some of them.

Are you sure?  In my experience, if they collect a bunch of bones and cloth, but want blocks and gems, they won't mention the bones or cloth.  Then if you manage to get the blocks, and they grab them, they stop off crying for that...  but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:00:25 am »

if you manage to get the blocks, and they grab them, they stop off crying for that...  but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
You haven't been paying enough attention - if you wait long enough for the list of demands to repeat, they'll keep listing the items they've already collected.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 03:28:04 pm »

OK, I've nothing to contribute to this but I swear, when I saw this topic, I totally thought the body of it was going to read thusly:

"Me: 3 foot 4. Adequate Beard. Enjoys Dwarven Wine, long walks in the Statue Gardens, Malachite and cows for their haunting moos.

You: A block of Rose Gold. Dully Shiny. Abnormally pink.

Let's make something beautiful together!"

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »

It might be possible that the dwarf wants a particular type of rock block, like a microcline block or a granite block. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that dwarves in a mood might want something made from a particular material they like.
Urist McChampion cancels Spar: Too insane.

Niltosed - La Belle Époque

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 03:38:26 pm »

It might be possible that the dwarf wants a particular type of rock block, like a microcline block or a granite block. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that dwarves in a mood might want something made from a particular material they like.

In 40d, special requirements have only ever been observed to happen with metals (asking for a specific type) and cloth (silk versus plant fiber). Back in 23a it was seemingly possible to find any material within a given fortress so they'd be more likely to get overly specific, but the greater diversity brought with the 3D versions would make such requirements almost impossible to fulfill. Metals are considered fair game because you can always request any metal from the Human and Dwarven caravans, regardless of whether they have access to the ores.

Tezcatli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »

Only metals? So I've been storing all these hundreds of various blocks and bones for no reason? Aw shucks.

Well that's a relief at any rate, lets just hope no dwarf like adamantine.
Urist McChampion cancels Spar: Too insane.

Niltosed - La Belle Époque
Pages: [1] 2