Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roads, trade routes, and similar  (Read 1065 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Roads, trade routes, and similar
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »

Well, I noticed how long it was taking the traders to get back and forth in the VERY mountainous area I'd decided to settle... so I thought, "HEY! What if I carve trade routes THROUGH the mountain itself? A few z-levels above my main fortress, I'll lay down some ramps and roads from there and make sure the two main paths are connected! That should do it right?"

Do roads actually DO anything? Like are Traders more likely to travel along roads than not? Or is it simply to make sure there's ALWAYS a path? so trees and such don't grow up along them? And was this plan smart Or should I just wall up the paths mined through the mountain?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roads, trade routes, and similar
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:09:51 pm »

The decisionmaking of traders/diplomats/etc seems to go like this:

Code: [Select]
"Is this edge accessible?" (If No, skip to end.)
"Pick a new random spot." (If we've looked everywhere, skip to end.)
"Can I appear there?" (If no, go back to picking a new spot.)
"End: Appear and move towards fort."

So: If your road is the best spot to appear, they'll appear there more frequently. (You can actually make other spots-to-appear into bad spots too.) Wagons also slow down going uphill - so cutting passes should make them faster at covering ground.

But you want to be careful that your 'passes' don't make it so a 3x3 wagon can't appear anywhere.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 03:17:29 pm »

Caravans will always try to appear at a wagon-accessible location, even if they don't have wagons. Thus, if you make sure that only one location on the map edge is wagon-accessible, they will always appear at that spot. Statues tend to work well for blocking movement along the way, and raised drawbridges can be used for the last 5 tiles to the map edge.

The main purpose of roads is preventing trees from growing and blocking the path; thus, they are only useful in wooded areas - in any other location, they are purely ornamental (i.e. they look nice, and they increase the architectural value of your fort). Roads themselves do not influence where caravans will enter the map (unlike the old 2D versions where they were actually required in order to get wagons), though building one through a forest and allowing the trees to grow unhindered can ensure that any other paths eventually get blocked off.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:37:20 pm »

Roads are also important for cosmetics; if a brook tile has been altered by constructions, a rough microcline road blends in nicely.
And rough olivine roads make vomit invisible. (Of course, then you're walking along vomit-coloured roads.)
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:49:10 pm »

Roads will also remove wagon blocking boulders, though those can be smoothed.

Roads add value, as well.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:54:43 pm »

Er, roads will not remove boulders - if you try to build a road on top of a boulder, it'll just result in a large hole in the middle of the road.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:02:25 pm »

Oops, guess it's been too long since I built a road. :P
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »

Caravans will always try to appear at a wagon-accessible location, even if they don't have wagons. Thus, if you make sure that only one location on the map edge is wagon-accessible, they will always appear at that spot. Statues tend to work well for blocking movement along the way, and raised drawbridges can be used for the last 5 tiles to the map edge.

Do sieges/ambushers follow this logic as well? Or will they continue to spawn in various random locations, rather than preferring locations that are wagon-agreeable (and probably spawning on top of a caravan to boot)?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »

Actually, another important criteria for caravans is that they pick locations that can access the depot.

So, it's enough to isolate a small area on one side of the map and fortify it heavily while ensuring that the caravan must enter at that spot to get to the depot via channels, raised bridges, and so on. I have a fort where the caravan appears without fail at a particular edge and then goes into my depot a few tiles away. Very, very easy to defend.

Invaders, however, just appeared anywhere.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:16:56 pm »

I'm going to try this, with an underground road. But before I can I got to figure out how to mine out that LAST row of stone and such... not having much success right now... since it won't let me mine the edgemost row of dirt/stone.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:21:57 pm »

It is impossible to mine out the edge of the map - thus, if you want to make an underground road, you'll have to dig (or build) ramps up to the surface at the very end.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 07:27:27 pm »

damn... oh well...