Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Color Mafia (Game Over! Town Wins!)  (Read 41369 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Color Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2009, 12:42:54 am »

Right now, I don't see NUKE making a mistake as much as I see Dakarian jumping on easy prey.
Regardless, I agree for the time being — drawing him out is in our best interest.

If you're going to say stuff about people, be ready to back it up, so unvote and voteApostolic Nihilist. Try posting something this isn't just you popping in and saying "Hey guys, he could be scum!", that's useless WIFOM that only the scum like.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2009, 12:48:38 am »

I will vote for Leafsnail because I don't like his policy of FoSing everyone in funny colours.

That's what it was based on.  The argument was that Leafsnail had not FoSed anyone or spoken about funny colors at all.

It was explained later that this is referencing Leafsnail using Blue to FOS people in other games.

Thus it wasn't a lie, just an akwardly said randomvote
I'm not really seeing how NUKE's post was meant to 'draw out panic', but I concede.
Besides, if roles were based on colours, a post to incite a reaction from Red could possibly be a tactic to draw out scum.
At the very least, it drew out Dakarian — I think he's voting NUKE because he caused him to reveal his colour.

I don't see anything particularly scummy about joking around during the RVS. Once it hits day 2, though, joking is a bit more of a scumtell. Things tend to get more serious after that point.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2009, 12:56:08 am »

The jokes typically end with RVS.  RVS ends, though, when actual accusations begin.  That usually happens well before the end of day 1.

I still don't believe color = role so I'm not that bad off with people knowing my color.  Nuke gets my vote for making an accusation on someone based on horrid logic.  He's looking like an Overeager Scum at the moment.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2009, 02:31:58 am »

While I believe the color has some influence on the game, there's now way for us to establish that except by simply playing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2009, 02:55:39 am »

Hmmm.
To answer your concerns, dakarian,
a)Org is scum
and
b)I am not an idiot

Org is always scum.
More seriously
Org is always scum unless he specifically says he isn't.
Its just the way things are. We are all powerless to stop it.

Old scumtell is old. Old, yes.

And already subverted.  It's a null tell now. So old, perhaps, that it has been forgotten, even by org himself?

However, looking for easy lynches still works VERY well as a scumtell. True that

Consider my vote no longer random.  You're trying for nice easy kills without scumhunting and that's scummy. Good to hear your opinion on the matter
I still don't believe color = role so I'm not that bad off with people knowing my color
:[
My friend you are too young and innocent for mafia.
The basic premise of mafia is uniformed majority VS informed minority. Informed generally means that they know who is who. In this game, it could easily mean they know how the colours work.
I am not saying it is. Until more shit goes down we have only suspicion to work with. But it is possible that the mafia know stuff. Very possible. So actually, you should be afraid. You should not trust in your belief. Paranoia is the name of the game.

Besides, if roles were based on colours, a post to incite a reaction from Red could possibly be a tactic to draw out scum.
At the very least, it drew out Dakarian — I think he's voting NUKE because he caused him to reveal his colour.
Nope. I would have to know which colours were scum, and whilst red might be a good guess (along with black, I guess?), it was not so. My post was merely telling people to be careful. Dakarian's slip up was an unfortunate and unintended consequence.

Which is odd. Dakarian, why the slip up? It had no use, right? Did you panic? Also, I have played mafia a few times before. Why would I tell a blatant LIE, on day 1, regarding a random person during the random voting stage?

Which brings us to the end of my post. Before this goes out of hand, forsaken style;
Nuke didn't randomvote Org.
Yes I did. Sorry.
Unvote

See, the random voting stage these days is an automatic Bay12 mafia reflex. It bears no risk, no consequence, and no discussion.
Guess what, everybody?
That makes it pointless.
Long Live United Forenia!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2009, 08:46:57 am »

(Biggest post so far posted in this game)

See, the random voting stage these days is an automatic Bay12 mafia reflex. It bears no risk, no consequence, and no discussion.
Guess what, everybody?
That makes it pointless.

The irony is so so sweet.

Just know that everything you say has now been permanently etched into the game's logs and will be used to destroy you later, mr. "played mafia a few times before".  Unvote

Meanwhile, Nihilist

I HATE sideline people.  Lurkers are null tells you need to bring out.  Spotlighters are active with lots of posts to analyze.  Sideliners sit on the side and try to act like they are active but not quite active enough for the spotlight.

Scum LOVE that position.

Your posts don't directly question Nuke.  They don't directly accuse.  They just give 'suggestions' on how he 'maybe' scum.  Meanwhile, instead of ASKING me about my motives, you play Theorycraft and put words in my mouth. 

Meanwhile, you say you want to pressure someone yet your vote remains well WELL off of them.

Lastly,

If you're going to say stuff about people, be ready to back it up, so unvote and voteApostolic Nihilist. Try posting something this isn't just you popping in and saying "Hey guys, he could be scum!", that's useless WIFOM that only the scum like.

You ignored someone accusing you AND voting for you.  I guess 2 votes isn't enough.

Perhaps 3 will make you notice us?  Perhaps with a noose on your scummy head?
I KNEW IT!

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:31 am »

I suppose it's bad etiquette to answer posts without quoting them?
The post I made immediately after Mr. Person was what explained my reasoning.

Furthermore, Dakarian, I'm keeping my vote off of anyone because any action on my part only makes me look more scummish, which could lead to you lynching a townie. (Not that it matters at this stage of the game, however)

If I were to vote NUKE without providing any original reasoning, I believe that's called bandwagoning. I couldn't provide any original reasoning because you already analyzed his posts to death. There was nothing else to analyze. If I just say,
"I agree with Dakarian for the reasons he stated," at that point I end up looking even more scummy.

I'll admit to being quieter than I would like this game. This is the first I've played with a large variety of roles, and I'm struggling to wrap my head around the optimal way to play.

As it stands, NUKE is our only lead, but I don't think we have enough evidence on him to keep pushing. I think most scum-hunting on day 1 is a waste of time, (but this is my personal opinion); the only thing you can do is jump on people is too different than what is expected.
A lot of factors can change their behaviour — roles, suspicions, even things like stress. Forming theories prematurely tends to backfire, however, and it's not until you have a profile of the mafia and the roles in the game that you should start to take major action.

When Day 2 comes, for instance, we'll have a list of who's died due to what roles and our investigative roles will have a better idea of who's scum. We may not even be playing with an SK or we may be playing with 3 — unknown situations will continue to arise, situations that are difficult to account for; making assumptions off of thing such as initial votes.

Mafia is inherently a serious game, but some stages are more serious than others. From a purely objective standpoint, making assumptions now has a higher chance of lynching town than it does of lynching scum. Scum will usually be extraordinarily careful, trying to act like town, often acting well enough to become a 'spotlighter'; they'll gather the appeal of other players and use them to do whatever they wish.

At least, that's how scum should play. That's how I would try to play.
A playing style like that, however, requires experience.

Asking me questions like, "Who do you think is scum?"; I see those questions as useless during this stage of the game.
I voiced my suspicions about Dakarian earlier, and I still retain them.

We've exhausted all the leads we have, (Well, except for myself; you seem to be quite content with lynching me); waiting until Day 2 will give us more evidence to examine, and from there we can make better assumptions.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2009, 10:23:24 am »

I'd just like to make a quick complaint to web-I'm only online 4 till 9 GMT weekdays. I'm not on any other time during weekdays. So if I don't post between those times, you know.

Anyway, Apostic wraps it up pretty nicely with his mini-essay, so I'm gonna hold my vote.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2009, 10:59:46 am »

Unvote.

Apostolic Nihilist, that post was long, but you seemed to say very, very little.  You're basically saying that there's no point in doing anything on Day 1... but if we did this, we'd find out very little.  Almost nothing, in fact.  Afterall, what's the difference between Day 1 and Day 2 other than a couple of bodies and a few investigations?  We need to start scum hunting early.  It also seems very much like you're trying to stay on the sidelines.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2009, 11:34:45 am »

If either Toony or Vector is Vector's/Toony's partner, it might be Nuke. He still hasnt posted since I asked him about his vote. :I

So... is there some reason why you think I'm partnered with someone who isn't even in this game?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2009, 11:37:00 am »

I suppose it's bad etiquette to answer posts without quoting them?
The post I made immediately after Mr. Person was what explained my reasoning.

It isn't and, in some cases, helps avoid oversized posts.  Just know that some people will ask you to clear things up (like I just did :P)

Furthermore, Dakarian, I'm keeping my vote off of anyone because any action on my part only makes me look more scummish, which could lead to you lynching a townie. (Not that it matters at this stage of the game, however)

1. To be a little blunt, that's one of the great false reasonings in Mafia.

Yes, voting for people does add a little suspicion to you, but only enough to allow you to explain yourself.  Once your reasoning is well known only fools will lynch you for it.  If the entire town wants to be THAT foolish then best to be lynched early and watch them lose in Dead Chat.

HOWEVER, once you are past RVS, you should have someone you wish dead, suspect of being scum, or are pumping for information.  If you have none, your #1 main concern should be finding a person to kill/suspect/question.  That's scumhunting and it's one of the most pro-town things you can do. 

Avoiding to vote because it makes you look suspicious makes you look defensive.  I swear to you, no matter how scummy your vote may look, it's 5 times scummier to NOT vote at all just to save your own hide.  I'll pressure you if you attack someone, but I WILL kill you if you just sit and hide.

Remember, dying early doesn't make you lose the game and MAY help find a scum if they exposed themselves to get you killed.  Staying alive to the end means nothing if the mafia are alive with you.  You living or dying does nothing to help you win.  Mafia living or dying means EVERYTHING.

If I were to vote NUKE without providing any original reasoning, I believe that's called bandwagoning. I couldn't provide any original reasoning because you already analyzed his posts to death. There was nothing else to analyze. If I just say,
"I agree with Dakarian for the reasons he stated," at that point I end up looking even more scummy.

Ok, true true, that's a catch 22.  Best way to handle it is, oddly enough, not to worry about it. 

If I suspect, but don't wish to fully kill, someone that's already being analyzed, I take the parts of the argument that I feel is important to me and attempt to Emphasize them, i.e. if I agreed with my post against you, but was mostly worried about your active lurking, I would say,

"What bugs me about you is that the 'side comments' Dakarian mentioned make you look like you're active lurking.  It does look bad to me.  Mind telling more about it, before more votes go on you?"

The difference is who you are speaking to.  Address the person directly.  That turns a 'side comment' into an 'accusation'.  You are also taking a full analysis and focusing on one aspect to add more pressure.  That helps show you aren't just 'me tooing' things.

Will someone say you are bandwagoning still?  Yes.  Should you care?  Not really.  Worry more about whether OTHERS are town or scum than how you look. 

As for whether to vote or not, depends on how you handle votes.  I love to pressure vote but that's not the only way to go.  Just make sure you aren't wishy washy with it, however you wish to use it.

I'll admit to being quieter than I would like this game. This is the first I've played with a large variety of roles, and I'm struggling to wrap my head around the optimal way to play.

Nice thing about Day 1 is that it works no matter what game you are in.  The goal of this day is to get everyone talking, debating, arguing.  Get them fighting and accusing or being accused.  Get them to lose their cool.  Get lurkers talking.  Pull sideliners into the spotlight.  Keep the active folks...active.  Stir the pot.

It's the day game that gets us to win, not so much these power roles.

As it stands, NUKE is our only lead, but I don't think we have enough evidence on him to keep pushing. I think most scum-hunting on day 1 is a waste of time, (but this is my personal opinion); the only thing you can do is jump on people is too different than what is expected.
A lot of factors can change their behaviour — roles, suspicions, even things like stress. Forming theories prematurely tends to backfire, however, and it's not until you have a profile of the mafia and the roles in the game that you should start to take major action.

Bolded = the key to day 1. 

We WON'T find the mafia in the first day.  However, a silent day 1 simply means a day 2 with very little to go on.  It's through these silly attacks and reckless bandwagons that patterns form, people show their true colors, and mafia start to make their slip ups.  The vote I cast on you will lead to the meek passivity from a mafia that leads to a Day 3 analysis finding and lynching said Passive Mafia. 

To put it another way: the useless day 1 lasts until enough content shows on the thread.  You can have a 'day 1' that lasts three game-days, with town unsure what to do.  You have have a 'day 1' that lasts until end game. 

When Day 2 comes, for instance, we'll have a list of who's died due to what roles and our investigative roles will have a better idea of who's scum. We may not even be playing with an SK or we may be playing with 3 — unknown situations will continue to arise, situations that are difficult to account for; making assumptions off of thing such as initial votes.

A thing to consider: Typically, the town has 3 mislynches before they lose.  Also note that the cop only gets 2 investigations to find said mafia.  Also note there's a chance for a Miller role or for the redirecter or roleblocker to mess up the investigations.  ALSO consider that the cop can't just jump up and tell their findings Day 2 since they'll be night killed.

Result: The town can't rely on power roles to find the mafia alone. 

The day game is Vital to the town.  Not only can we find suspect people, but, even if we don't lynch them, it'll give the investigators someone to target that's better than pure randomness.  I know if I was the cop, I now have a few people on a short list that I can investigate just on what I've found out today.

Some people may consider the day the time for idle chat and killing off people you don't like.  To those of the town who wish to win, though, this is the best time to find the enemy.  The night is more Their time than ours.

Mafia is inherently a serious game, but some stages are more serious than others. From a purely objective standpoint, making assumptions now has a higher chance of lynching town than it does of lynching scum. Scum will usually be extraordinarily careful, trying to act like town, often acting well enough to become a 'spotlighter'; they'll gather the appeal of other players and use them to do whatever they wish.

There's typically three types of Mafia: The spotlighter who guides the town into hasty bandwagons, the sideliner who active lurks and bandwagons, and the passive which tries not to be noticed.

All three try to act like town.  All three, though, can't REALLY succeed since, in the end, they can't do everything like a town does: only pretend.  So long as the town is silent, it's easy for them to act like their roles.  Nothing helps the mafia like a town that's passive.  Spotlighters become leaders who control the vote.  Sideliners look more active than half the town.  Passives..well.. look just like the rest of the town so it's hard to hit them.

Active, scumhunting towns, however, mean that you have to maintain your persona, trying hard to flow like a paniced, paranoid, bloodthirsty town when you are, in fact, calm, sure of yourself, and don't really care about who dies.  Some are better than others, but all slip in their own way.

The town can assume and attack others without resulting in silly useless lynches.  Just avoid tunnelvisioning, keep watch of those around you, suspect EVERYONE (not just your target), and focus on PRESSURE, not just killing. 

Asking me questions like, "Who do you think is scum?"; I see those questions as useless during this stage of the game.

Never really liked those questions either.  If you want a generic question, it should be "WHY AREN'T YOU ATTACKING SOMEONE?" 

I voiced my suspicions about Dakarian earlier, and I still retain them.

We've exhausted all the leads we have, (Well, except for myself; you seem to be quite content with lynching me); waiting until Day 2 will give us more evidence to examine, and from there we can make better assumptions.

All Day 2 will give is one townie death, manipulated by the mafia to look like a townie kill them, MAYBE one cop investigation held by a cop that can't speak if he even exists, and us still spinning our wheels and lurking.

We havn't exhausted our options.  We're just surrounded by lurkers.  Best way to handle lurkers is to weed them out.

Unvote    Vote: ExKirby

What sort of comment is that?  Nihilist's post is mostly about how useless attacking people are and how it's best to hold back till we have more information.

How does agreeing to that AND voting for me sync together?

Or are you excusing not having 24/7 access to the game as an excuse to pull a fast "Me too" post without thinking?
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2009, 01:39:53 pm »

I was reffering to the last paragraph. Even yhough I'm pretty sure of your scummyness, day 1 usually pops up a town lynch and therefor should be taken slightly lighter. If I could, I would play Mafia more often =3
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:20 pm »

Apostolic Nihilist
I, and I suspect most of the general population of the mafia board, know how mafia works, thank you. Your large post was contentless in relation to this game, and merely served as a distraction from useful posts.
Also, you fear for your life. You fear for it more than you wish for town victory. Wrong! Risks must be taken always, lynches uncertain must be made. Provided you are town, you can always explain the reasoning behind your actions. Only the scum bandwagon for the sake of bandwagon. It is ok to consider the arguments, and agree with them completely, and then vote accordingly. Just point this out. Provided the arguments were good no one can blame you.
Day 1 is important. Nowadays we mock day one with our RVS followed by a bandwagon, but a good day one is good.

Anyway... this is sort of irrelevant in comparison to dakarian's post. Wow. I approve.

While I believe the color has some influence on the game, there's now way for us to establish that except by simply playing.
So.
Anything useful to add?

Anyway, Apostic wraps it up pretty nicely with his mini-essay, so I'm gonna hold my vote.
ERRR
His essay is wrong. No vote on day 1= not a good thing. I learnt that lesson my first mafia game, and I did not forget it.
I strongly recommend you come forth and rectify your error.

Unvote.

Apostolic Nihilist, that post was long, but you seemed to say very, very little.  You're basically saying that there's no point in doing anything on Day 1... but if we did this, we'd find out very little.  Almost nothing, in fact.  Afterall, what's the difference between Day 1 and Day 2 other than a couple of bodies and a few investigations?  We need to start scum hunting early.  It also seems very much like you're trying to stay on the sidelines.
See, see? Here they come, those ultramarine accusations of no weight! It is a leafsnaily thing, but :[ nonetheless. In the olden days, we thought someone was suspicious, we voted for them!
Long Live United Forenia!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2009, 01:46:23 pm »

I was reffering to the last paragraph. Even yhough I'm pretty sure of your scummyness, day 1 usually pops up a town lynch and therefor should be taken slightly lighter. If I could, I would play Mafia more often =3

So are you dead set sure you want me dead no matter what I say, or is there still information you wish to pull from me?

If the former, you'll need to be more vocal and get the entire town involved.  If the later, I'll need to know what I havn't already discussed about or what still needs clearing.  To me, I already answered your concerns so far.
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2009, 01:47:45 pm »

ERRR
His essay is wrong. No vote on day 1= not a good thing. I learnt that lesson my first mafia game, and I did not forget it.
I strongly recommend you come forth and rectify your error.
If you read the post before?

It's OK, I probably ninja'd you.

Well, I didn't say it was worthless-on the little Mafia I played on IncrediBots, we actually found a godfather on the first day (ametuer). So, I'll take that factor to heart. OK?

And dark, I didn't see any clear ups. To me, the ink stains are still on the table cloth.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26