Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bleedin' Band-in-a-Buggered-Box. Blimey.  (Read 1932 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Bleedin' Band-in-a-Buggered-Box. Blimey.
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:34:59 am »

So I acquired this fine piece of musical software just recently, and ever since the first test run have been trying to figure out how to make it *not* sound like some old SNES game.  Actually, I think the SNES had better sound capabilities.

Is it too much to ask for a rhythm guitar that does not sound like you are brutally molesting a keyboard?  Or a cowbell that does not sound like a dampened fart?  Or, heck, a bass that sounds like something more than your speakers coughing.  I'm not even asking for the bloomin' trumpets!  I mean, sure, I'd like to have trumpets, we all would...   But I'm just trying to be reasonable here.

I've tried reconfiguring the MIDI settings a couple times, but I'm not getting anywhere.  There's no big button that says "Press this if you don't plan on making music for 'retro' indie games".  There's just this niggling little feeling in the back of my head that says it's actually working properly, and that the drums are the only thing that will ever sound halfway respectable.

Does anyone have experience with this product?  I just want to be able to cook something up and not laugh my face off when it starts playing.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Bleedin' Band-in-a-Buggered-Box. Blimey.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:27 am »

Buy soundfont packages.  Learn music theory.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:12:54 pm »

Record live.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:02 pm »

I'm sure I've got the raw materials.  I mean, after all, this thing did ship with about five other bonus discs of stuff, and they didn't need all of it to install that silly little alien-zapping "game".

It's just that I have no clue how to work around this program.  I really just don't know how to configure it.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:23:17 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty much the most crucial aspect of using professional or near level tools.   They require a lot of knowledge to get working at capacity.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:19 am »

Well, that helped me significantly.  Guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:54:14 am »

Keep in mind that they are in fact tools, rather than toys.    You have to put effort and time in to get anything out.   It's much harder than getting to learn your way around some keys or a fretboard; solely because you have to be able to envision a song and then create it within an abstract context.   The upside is that when you get good, you can tackle very complex compositions and do nifty things.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:39:29 pm »

But bugger that!  I just want it to use sounds that aren't completely pants-on-head retarded!  I don't care if I can rewrite Beethoven's confounded ninth or not, I just want a guitar that doesn't sound like a pixie attempting to copulate with a Moog!

Say I come in with a complaint about a hammer.  You say that I need to be able to train with it and put time and effort into my hammerskills if I ever expect to be able to build a house properly.

My complaint was that the handle is full of splinters.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 05:11:49 pm »

You're not holding the damn hammer right.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 05:21:59 pm »

But bugger that!

Sorry for pointing out that you clearly don't know how to use the program at its most basic levels and should invest time and effort into it.

Sorry for trying to help you make good music.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:28:28 pm »

Okay, there's obviously some misunderstanding here.  I am asking about one particular aspect of one particular program to see if anyone knows of how to perform one particular task.

I know that I don't know how to use the program.  That's why I'm asking for help.  But this is a technical issue, not a creative one.  I am trying to figure out how to alter one aspect in the program's configuration, or if it is even possible to do so.  My question has nothing to do with music theory or song composition.

And as for making good music, again, that is completely besides the point.  I appreciate the fact that you attempted to give me advice which you felt would help me towards creating interesting, professional musical compositions.  But that has nothing at all to do with what I asked for.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »

You're asking us to tell you how to hit something with a hammer, then get mad when we tell you how to hold it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 05:47:39 pm »

Shall we dispense with the hammer analogy from now on?

Here's what I'm trying to do:  I am trying to configure the program so that it points to a different file than what it does for some of the instruments.  Either that, or add new instruments to the list.  I am having difficulty finding any sort of dialog that allows me to configure this.

I am fairly certain I have the files required in one place or another on my machine.  That is not the issue.

Let's look at the advice I have been given so far.

"Buy Soundfont packages.  Learn music theory"

"Record Live"

"Tools like this require a lot of knowledge to get working at capacity."

"Keep in mind that they are in fact tools, not toys.  You have to put effort and time in to get anything out."

"You're not holding the damn hammer right"

So, in essence:  "Get more files" and "Figure it out yourself"

I sincerely apologize if there is some hidden wisdom behind this that I'm just too dense to pick up on.  But it looks to me as though you're either missing the point entirely or avoiding giving me directions.  I feel somewhat justified in feeling a bit confused at this point.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »

I have entirely know No idea what is going on, and am just posting to post.  You can safely ignore me.

EDIT: SEE! I can't even spell!

EDIT EDIT: Although at the very beginning I was trying to be helpful. Or at least comment sort-of kind-of on topic.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:48:51 pm by zchris13 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 07:27:04 pm »

Ah, right then.  Sorry about that.
Pages: [1] 2