Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitten Laborers?  (Read 1007 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitten Laborers?
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:06:15 am »

I would consider myself moderately familiar with DF(I'm just over a year into a new fortress right now, the point of which is to familiarize myself with as many jobs/workshops as possible that I've never used before). 

Anyway, I just saw this, which is definitely a new one for me, from the new immigrant wave incoming:

Cilob Ulzestmonom, Kitten(Tame) cancels Store Item in Stockpile:  Too injured. 

A number of WTF things here. 

** What the heck is this kitten doing storing anything in a stockpile(I've never seen that before, even with dozens of animals)

** I immediately checked the kitten -- no injuries

** Some blood splatters, and it has toad remains in it's mouth(presumably it was going to store that in refuse?)

** labor preferences says "this adorable animal can't work" -- so why was it trying to?

Color me confused.  Any thoughts? 

EDIT:  I also checked the other animals.  2 dogs, 2 cats, a mule, a two-humped camel, 2 horses, 6 puppies, 6 kittens(including Cilob), and 4 horse foals.  Not a one of them trying to do any jobs. 

So … ?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:09:59 am by Zorromorph »

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitten Laborers?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:17:00 am »

Update:  the kitten proceeded to carry the toad remains in it's mouth across half the map(max. embark area), before finally entering the fortress and dropping it inconveniently in the doorway to my mason's workshop, propping it open pointlessly. 

I think Cilob Ulzestmonom has earned a unique(if unimpressive) spot in my personal DF lore. 

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:21:18 am »

First up: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27008.0

Second, the stockpile storing thing is exclusive to cats, or any creature with the VERMINHUNTER tag, this tag is also the reason why cats adopt your dwarves rather than the other way around.
But yes, Owned cats will either drop their kills by their owners, or take them to a refuse stockpile.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:30:16 am »

K, thanks for the info. 

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:33:39 am »

Or would if their mouths had the grasp tag anyway. Which is the cause of the canceled store in stockpile spam.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:38:50 am »

Personally I think it would be a good idea to add GRASP to all mouths anyway
I mean, I know I've held stuff with my teeth. :P

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:50:37 am »

There was a discussion about this in the adventure mode forums, I think. The conclusion was that wielding a sword in your mouth is nothing but the purest awesome.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:10:47 am »

There was a discussion about this in the adventure mode forums, I think. The conclusion was that wielding a sword in your mouth is nothing but the purest awesome.
I really should pay more attention to those forums but I don't play adventurer mode.

Aaaamory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.peledragon.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:01:54 am »

Putting a grasp tag on all mouths would have the interesting consequence of dwarves wearing oral gloves and gauntlets.  I've had this happen when modding my game with an emu civilization (don't ask why).  Emu fighters wielded their weapons in and wore gloves over their beaks.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 07:03:25 am »

Well, it is entirely possible that emu "gauntlets" are different from human ones in shape and function.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:21:22 am »

Putting a grasp tag on all mouths would have the interesting consequence of dwarves wearing oral gloves and gauntlets.  I've had this happen when modding my game with an emu civilization (don't ask why).  Emu fighters wielded their weapons in and wore gloves over their beaks.
that just made me think of 100 emu's with swords and various other weapons in their beaks wiping out a squad of gobbos... thank you for that awesome mental image

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 07:31:03 am »

I can't help but be reminded of the show "one piece". One of the characters uses like 5 swords, one in each hand, one in his mouth, and basically juggling the others.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 09:04:01 am »

Actually, I think he uses 3. 1 in each hand, and another in his mouth.

Now, Bumblebee from Naruto, 7 swords.