Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pressure question  (Read 940 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water pressure question
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »

I was just making a system that blocked off a passageway with water.  It drained water from an underground river, into a room in an old tower cap farm.  From there, water would flow down a set of ramps to fill a passage.  The water could be pumped out of the passage into the tower cap farm to make the passage passable again.

The second time I filled it from the underground river, I closed the floodgates late, and found that the lower passageway, and the room which was filled by the underground river were both filled with 7/7 water, but water was not flowing up the other side of the ramps, or up the open space next to the pumps, even though it was on the same z level as 7/7 water.  However, when I opened the floodgates again, and there was water flowing in from one z level up, water began to flow up the ramps and up the open space.  Is this supposed to happen?

Here is a quick representation of the setup:

Code: [Select]
z=-5 Underground River
z=-6 Tower Cap Farm     Ramps  pump     Ramps [Passage]         
z=-7                    Ramps [passage] Ramps

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water pressure question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:41:19 pm »

It's not entirely clear to me what is going on, but one shortcoming if the DF pressure system are cases like this:

From the side:
W- wall
~ - water
. - open space

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWW
~~~W......
WW~W~WWWWW
WW~W~WWWWW
WW~W~WWWWW
WW~~~WWWWW

The water will not flow up.  If it is pressurized from z-level n, it will only go up to z-level n-1.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:10 pm »

The water will not flow up.  If it is pressurized from z-level n, it will only go up to z-level n-1.

That only happens if the water source is a river which is allowed to drain naturally (or if it's a tank of water 1 Z-level deep) - if you use a dammed river or a screw pump, it will fill all the way up to the source level.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:11:54 am »

As to why...

Water preferentially paths down, sideways and then up, in that order. So river water would rather path along the z level to the drain than fill up that last section.

For further hydrodynamics education...

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32453.0
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:22:24 pm »

- if you use a dammed river or a screw pump, it will fill all the way up to the source level.

There's no need to curse.   ;)
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"