Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57

Author Topic: D&D on the Interwebs  (Read 48710 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D on the Interwebs (Almost made it to the dungeon...)
« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »

Jodhu has an absurdly high bluff check. Persuasive + Snake Familiar + 18 Charisma + 4 Ranks. I think it's the highest possible bluff check for first level without magical enhancement.

I feel i should point out that it costs 100gp and takes 24 hours to acquire a familiar, so generally you don't have the resources to start with one unless the DM is feeling charitable and gives you one. Also note that Familiars are even more fragile than you (which is an impressive feat in and of itself) and there are huge-ass penalties for losing your familiar, so if you intend to use him to deliver touch spells in combat make sure you buff him good.

Huh, you're right, but the people I played with always started casters with familiars for some reason.
I guess we were charitable like that. Philanthropists, every one of us.

You guys keep forgetting the fact that not only did I NOT get us killed by the bartender, I also creeped the hooded man into telling us about the fort, and then threatened a villager with a badger to tell us the exact location.

I feel I should point out, having a friendly NPC not kill you is not an accomplishment, and the other two actions were completely unnecessary to get the desired result.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 07, 2009, 10:12:57 pm »

To the guys who are DM's what is the roll for figuring out your health? I've used the char gen but I'm making another char for a different group and I relized I don't know the correct roll, the guys a lvl 3.

Your class will have a Hit Dice (it'll be a D4, D6, D8, D10 or D12 depending on class). Each level you get you roll the appropriate dice and add your constiution modifier (not the score, the modifier is the +1 you have for a 12 Constitution for example. If you have a negative modifier, you subtract it.) And add the final number to your HP. You always get at least 1 HP per level, so if you have a negative con modifier and the final result is below 1, you get 1.

You also get max HP for first level (So if i have a D10 HD, at first level my HP is 10+Con Modifier).
So for a fighter I'd be rolling a d10 right? So in the case of a new lvl 3 it would be 10 + 2d10 + 3?.
edit: also I'm looking up some extra feats and I see some that say in prerequisets weapon focus (weapon) which I understand but what I don't understand is that some say Proficiency with (weapon). Does that mean just being able to use that weapon (like having martial weapon feat) or some specific feat for that weapon?

Yes, except you get your Con bonus every level, so it's 10 + 2d10 + 9 (i'm assuming your con bonus is +3? If it's only +1 then, uh, squishy :P)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 07, 2009, 10:21:22 pm »

Jodhu has an absurdly high bluff check. Persuasive + Snake Familiar + 18 Charisma + 4 Ranks. I think it's the highest possible bluff check for first level without magical enhancement.

Heh heh, no.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:42:34 pm by Neruz »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 07, 2009, 10:33:27 pm »

No what?

And what is your aversion to the edit button? :(

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2009, 10:42:17 pm »

No what?

And what is your aversion to the edit button? :(

Forgot that i'd posted before actually :P

And hey, i quoted the wrong part. Allow me to fex.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »

Heh heh, no.

Are you telling me there's a way I could've gotten it even higher?!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2009, 10:58:21 pm »

It's been awhile, but if i recall correctly using a standard point-buy stat array the CharOp boards managed to get a base bluff modifier of ~+30 at level 1 (you can get it almost the same for just about any skill). It requires the use of splatbooks and soforth, but it's doable.

They ended up with a character that could beat the DC 150 Diplomacy check to turn a hostile creature into a fanatic allied with you at around level 13 if memory serves.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 07, 2009, 11:08:08 pm »

To the guys who are DM's what is the roll for figuring out your health? I've used the char gen but I'm making another char for a different group and I relized I don't know the correct roll, the guys a lvl 3.

Your class will have a Hit Dice (it'll be a D4, D6, D8, D10 or D12 depending on class). Each level you get you roll the appropriate dice and add your constiution modifier (not the score, the modifier is the +1 you have for a 12 Constitution for example. If you have a negative modifier, you subtract it.) And add the final number to your HP. You always get at least 1 HP per level, so if you have a negative con modifier and the final result is below 1, you get 1.

You also get max HP for first level (So if i have a D10 HD, at first level my HP is 10+Con Modifier).
So for a fighter I'd be rolling a d10 right? So in the case of a new lvl 3 it would be 10 + 2d10 + 3?.
edit: also I'm looking up some extra feats and I see some that say in prerequisets weapon focus (weapon) which I understand but what I don't understand is that some say Proficiency with (weapon). Does that mean just being able to use that weapon (like having martial weapon feat) or some specific feat for that weapon?

Yes, except you get your Con bonus every level, so it's 10 + 2d10 + 9 (i'm assuming your con bonus is +3? If it's only +1 then, uh, squishy :P)
Ah good, I was gonna say it seemed a bit low compared to what the char gen had but we had to use the dice rollers on the forums its on.

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 08, 2009, 12:29:44 am »

Heh heh, no.

Are you telling me there's a way I could've gotten it even higher?!

to start you could have been human and also got skill focus(bluff)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:58:06 pm by theevilmonk »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:30 am »

It's been awhile, but if i recall correctly using a standard point-buy stat array the CharOp boards managed to get a base bluff modifier of ~+30 at level 1 (you can get it almost the same for just about any skill). It requires the use of splatbooks and soforth, but it's doable.

They ended up with a character that could beat the DC 150 Diplomacy check to turn a hostile creature into a fanatic allied with you at around level 13 if memory serves.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 08, 2009, 02:24:16 am »

My Internets have got extremely unreliable.
Postpone my turn until their back up.

Sorry.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 08, 2009, 04:57:32 am »

Guys, could we have like a separate thread for news on this... playing times, playing IP address, ports, who died, events, etc? And another separate one for conversation on it? Because it's going to be painful to sift through 40+ pages to see what's going on.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2009, 06:36:33 am »

GMs could each make themselves a topic listing current characters and holding IC and/or status posts...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 08, 2009, 11:06:23 am »

Oii does anyone know the roll for starting gold for fighters? Apparently theres a roll of a certain number of d4's x 10 depending on your class but its not on the SRD.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 08, 2009, 11:24:53 am »

It's in players manual for sure ;) jk

We already have our equipment so why do you need this?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57